PDA

View Full Version : Group names

Alysar
2007-09-30, 01:22 AM
My gaming group is trying to think of a name for our group of characters. Personally, I don't think it's necessary, but some of the others apparently like the idea. Does anyone know of any lists of group names we could use for inspiration, or possibly a random group name generator?

The Extinguisher
2007-09-30, 01:36 AM
Not really. Go with something witty or clever, and made up at random. Our group was named the Fantasik Four by a dragon who had a particular habit of following us around and laughing at us, and it stuck.

And that was sparked from an out of character remark about there being four of us.

So you see how easily group names can come up.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-30, 04:40 AM
Try and think of something you all like. For example, my group all got tatoos of a black dragon after we beat the hell outta one. So, we became the Black Dragon League.

Alternatively think of these things to help you:
1. Do you have any similar features?
i.e. The Red-Eye Scullions
2. Are you from the same place?
i.e. The Londinium Brigadeers
3. Are you the same race/class?
i.e. Champions of the Forsaken Sorcerers
4. Worship the same gods as eachother?
i.e. Defenders of Moradin

All that jazz. I hope it was slightly helpful.

Replacement
2007-09-30, 06:03 AM
In old WoD our werewolf pack didn't have a name for the longest time, we were kinda known for that oddity and a local elder had grown fond of us. In a major battle the elder was slain so we kinda formed out name in honor and rememberence. Red Scar's Children.

Not nearly as cool was our dnd group of all magish classes dubbed "League of Extrodinary Firestarters!"

The Glyphstone
2007-09-30, 06:23 AM
The group I'm running in Eye of the Storm decided to call themselves the "Peacemaker's Company" - solely for the benefit of being able to refer to themselves IC as PCs.:smallwink:

Ganon11
2007-09-30, 08:42 AM
Do you have some odd ritual that you do every gaming session? Is there some catchphrase you or one of your players has always used? These make great comical names for a group.

Alternatively, is there some common bond between the characters that drives them to adventure together? Do they each quest after some object? Are they all of the same tribe? These types of questions lead to great In-Character group names.

nobodylovesyou4
2007-09-30, 08:46 AM
well, i want to relate a group name anecdote if you dont mind...

we were playing mutants and masterminds, and i had made optimus prime. i wanted to name our group the autobots, but everyone else was like, "wtf no". so just screwing around, i said, "how bout the freedom city pimps?" unfortunately, they all went for that one and my superhero name changed from optimus prime to "the pimpmobile". :frown:

leperkhaun
2007-09-30, 09:10 AM
Generally we go in the following format.

"The Adjective Noun"

Someone picks an adjective and another picks a noun (without discussing it between themselves). Then use what ever it is.

Other than that the party name is ussually something that just seems to fit.

During one campaign we were highered to do some bodyguard work. the client recommened us to someone he knew and boasted "These lads will protect ya better than a circle of iron." So we took the name Iron Circle.

BardicDuelist
2007-09-30, 09:13 AM
Generally we go in the following format.

"The Adjective Noun"

Someone picks an adjective and another picks a noun (without discussing it between themselves). Then use what ever it is.

Other than that the party name is ussually something that just seems to fit.

During one campaign we were highered to do some bodyguard work. the client recommened us to someone he knew and boasted "These lads will protect ya better than a circle of iron." So we took the name Iron Circle.

"The Nouns of Noun" works pretty well too.

As far as a place to look for inspiration, any of the organizations in th various books you have can help. Maybe one adjective here, a noun here, thrown into a blender and you have a group name!

Accountant
2007-09-30, 10:02 AM
We actually had our group sit down for about 20 minutes to decide, even though everything that everyone threw out sucked a lot. We actually had suggestions such as "The Fisting Goblins" (Because one person in our group has a backstory about punching a group of goblins to death).

We finally decided to call ourselves The Brotherhood of the Slobbery Dog, which you might say isn't much better. See, The Slobbery Dog is the obligatory inn/pub where we started our campaign, and it's a nice little place.

EDIT - Sweet, halfling status! No longer must I strive to fit in!

Stevo-Tron
2007-09-30, 10:14 AM
The Brotherhood of the Slobbery Dog

hey i wanted to post about the brotherhood!:smallfurious:

stupid mage always saying stuff before me...

VerdugoExplode
2007-09-30, 10:33 AM
I'd like to say that this is the greatest group name I have ever conceived and will probably use it at a later date.

The Defenestrative Exoculators.

There, it doesn't get much more awesome than that. It took serious looking men in lab coats with clipboards months to dream it up. Months I say!

Serpentine
2007-09-30, 10:52 AM
We chose ours in-character (we even have a copy of the charter each!), after much wrangling and debate. We ended up with the League of Steely Mettle.

horseboy
2007-09-30, 10:53 AM
My Earthdawn group Named themselves Those that Smote Bitches. It came from an out of character joke, when everyone was trying to come up with names. Somebody came up with a goofy Indian sounding name, so someone referenced that episode of Sealab where Stormy says: "My Indian name is He-who-smotes-bitches!" Everybody laughed, so we decided to make it a running gag.

RandomNPC
2007-09-30, 10:56 AM
well my group was fighting a lich who made himself the king of the area by force. this lich had the hand of Vecna and so called his system of 5 castles and guardians "the hand" when our group found out they named themselves "the foot"

nobody was even remotely turtle, and there are no ninjas in the game.

crimson77
2007-09-30, 11:16 AM
Try and think of something you all like. For example, my group all got tatoos of a black dragon after we beat the hell outta one. So, we became the Black Dragon League.

Really? Where did you get the tattoos?

BardicDuelist
2007-09-30, 11:30 AM
the foot.
nobody was even remotely turtle, and there are no ninjas in the game.

Does your leader at least use spiked gauntlets, or bladed gauntlets?

Crow
2007-09-30, 11:51 AM
I don't think any of our groups have ever had a group name that we came up with ourselves. But we have had names given to us by different parties. (Mostly in Shadowrun).

Some of our favorites:

Armed Assailants
Perpetrators
Suspects
Heavily-armed suspects wearing bridal gowns (long story)
Defendants...

Kaelaroth
2007-09-30, 11:59 AM
Really? Where did you get the tattoos?

From a druid/sorcerer who lived in a little hut on the hill.

Pollip
2007-09-30, 12:14 PM
I tried to get my group to call ourselves Dragon Army after Ender's game, but they didn't go for it. If not that, then find the find the coolest looking monster in the manual and go with that, like maybe The Gibbering Mouther Fighting Squad. Or maybe you all wear T-shirts that just say, "OWLBEAR!!!!!!". I wouldn't mess with guys like that.

crimson77
2007-09-30, 12:23 PM
From a druid/sorcerer who lived in a little hut on the hill.

I thought that you got your tattoos in real life after defeating a black dragon in d&d.

Armoury99
2007-09-30, 12:36 PM
"Plunder... Plunder... Plundercats, hoooooo!" :smallbiggrin:

That was the last named group I was in (we had one feline member, and the sorceress was really caty - also, we were famous for looting everything.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-30, 12:41 PM
I thought that you got your tattoos in real life after defeating a black dragon in d&d.

1. I knew that. Just poking fun at you. :smallsmile:
2. It would be illegal for two of us (including me) to get them done in real life.
3. The druid/sorcerer hated one of my characters so my tattoo hurt a lot more during creation. I failed my fortitude save, passed out, and ended up with a blurry draconic splotch.

DraPrime
2007-09-30, 01:01 PM
After slaughtering like 100 commoners for throwing pies at us, we named ourselves the "Those That Shouldn't Have Pie Thrown At Company." It was hilarious when we once entered a kings court, and they actually introduced us as that. The best way to choose a name is something based of what you've done, or just anything that amuses you.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-30, 02:14 PM
Have the dwarf introduce you group as "The company of eight" and then when someone mentions there are only four of you, have him say "I 'ate it when people point that oot."