PDA

View Full Version : DM Help feat gift

berserker7878
2019-03-20, 04:13 AM
we have a DM that allows us from time to time to make an additional scenario (which allows to play his character), this scenario is canon compared to the main story, this scenario can learn a lot of the world, do a lot more PR, make love stories, friendship, etc.

My scenario will be on an island, so the story will be framed, it would be a scenario based on memories, the island will live the memories of players to other players, to understand even more the feelings, expectations, pain that have suffered the heroes and strengthen the friendship of the group.

As a reward, I wanted to give special gifts:

- Ankor, goliath fighter lv 9 barbare lv1, the ability to put his weapon in silver or adamantine at the price of one action (2 times a day, for 10 rounds)

- Talinka, half orc, barbarian lv 10
the same

- Malice, elf rogue lv 10, the same, but also the arrows, on the other hand it is either the weapon or the arrows, otherwise it must take again an action.

- Verité, tiefling sorcerer lv 10, 2 times a day it can do 2 concentrations, if the concentration is broken it counts as a consume gift

- Vanor, human cleric domain of life lv 10, 2 times a day, in action (without concentration)

by sacrificing 1/3 pv to the higher number he can:

give 2 person (10 rounds):

- +5 meters
- +2 CA
- +2 dmg and touch

and i sur , when we go in the island, we will be lv 12-13.

it's good idea? to powerfull?

i need advace.

LuccMa
2019-03-20, 05:21 AM
I dont understand all of it completely, sorry, but a few things:

1. If you want to make such "gifts" to each character, make them unique. Giving three martial classes the same ability (to silver their weapons) is lazy.
2. Giving someone the ability to hold 2 concentration spells up at the same time will break the game.

Now if those abilities only work on that one-shot adventure on the island it isn't that important but if those abilities carry over to the main campaign balancing becomes very important and being able to silver their weapon is complete and utter horse **** compared to maintaining double concentration. Even if that ability goes away if the conc gets broken (not sure if i understood that one correctly).

If those adventure one-shots are mainly for story purposes and getting to know the other characters better, maybe think of fluff-abilities that have nothing to do with combat and are tailored to their specific recipiants.

Kind regards,
LuccMa

Quoz
2019-03-20, 05:34 AM
- silver/adamant weapons is a relatively minor boon, one that could be acquired just by carrying a backup weapon. It allows bypassing damage resistance for a limited type of enemies. Unless this is particularly useful in the campaign, make it a bonus action to activate and ignore resistance/turn immunity to resistance.

- extra concentration is extremely powerful, you will want severe limits on this. Perhaps have concentration effects last until the end of the turn after concentration is broken or ends. This would keep from super buffing but allow some minor concentration effects that don't see much play to get some use.

- the cleric buff doesnt seem too out of line. Limited use, takes an action but no concentration or spell slots used.

berserker7878
2019-03-20, 06:01 AM
- silver/adamant weapons is a relatively minor boon, one that could be acquired just by carrying a backup weapon. It allows bypassing damage resistance for a limited type of enemies. Unless this is particularly useful in the campaign, make it a bonus action to activate and ignore resistance/turn immunity to resistance.

- extra concentration is extremely powerful, you will want severe limits on this. Perhaps have concentration effects last until the end of the turn after concentration is broken or ends. This would keep from super buffing but allow some minor concentration effects that don't see much play to get some use.

- the cleric buff doesnt seem too out of line. Limited use, takes an action but no concentration or spell slots used.

if you have idea for my fighter and the barbarian i take it.

for the sorcerer, i think the double concentration is cool, he slow monster and he haste we, and of you have nerf for this i take this to.

juste for precision, my goliath it's solider, he know weapon,shield, but not like barbian, my goliath it's like brut soldier, but he know strategie, mouvement, optimal weapon for optimal moment, the barbarian juste know fight, he's strong but no strategik.

berserker7878
2019-03-20, 06:07 AM
I dont understand all of it completely, sorry, but a few things:

1. If you want to make such "gifts" to each character, make them unique. Giving three martial classes the same ability (to silver their weapons) is lazy.
2. Giving someone the ability to hold 2 concentration spells up at the same time will break the game.

Now if those abilities only work on that one-shot adventure on the island it isn't that important but if those abilities carry over to the main campaign balancing becomes very important and being able to silver their weapon is complete and utter horse **** compared to maintaining double concentration. Even if that ability goes away if the conc gets broken (not sure if i understood that one correctly).

If those adventure one-shots are mainly for story purposes and getting to know the other characters better, maybe think of fluff-abilities that have nothing to do with combat and are tailored to their specific recipiants.

Kind regards,
LuccMa

thk for reply,

i want realy a fight feat.

if you have a idea i take this.

for precision:

my goliath its' a solider fighter, he know strategi fight, he know all weapon, it's not a stupid goliath ' haaaa juste fight and bit the monster with a rock', i'm a archetype brut, but i play my goliath ' ok i'm a hugh goliath but i can use strategi, the environment, the weakness of monsters'
the barbarian it's like juste break things with everything
the rogue it's like a shadow, teleportation, he have a boot fo flying etc..

Aett_Thorn
2019-03-20, 06:23 AM
So if this story is about being able to share memories with other party members, why are they getting benefits specific to the class that they are, instead of something that the other characters can do?

For instance, why do the martial characters get martial things, instead of learning maybe a Cleric or Sorc cantrip? Why not have the casters get something martial as they learn about the training of the fighter? Things like this might not be huge power boosts, but can increase the utility that the characters have.

berserker7878
2019-03-20, 06:46 AM
So if this story is about being able to share memories with other party members, why are they getting benefits specific to the class that they are, instead of something that the other characters can do?

For instance, why do the martial characters get martial things, instead of learning maybe a Cleric or Sorc cantrip? Why not have the casters get something martial as they learn about the training of the fighter? Things like this might not be huge power boosts, but can increase the utility that the characters have.

it would be rewards, the spirit of the memories will give rewards to the heroes if they manage to triumph the different tests (fight, throw of various, implcation on the scenario, and it is also a question of optimization I think ( it does not matter to me to have the hand of the mage or to make a campfire with my eyes).

I think that level 12-13, it's nice to have a power up, because the DM gives almost nothing in magic object and it starts to make it feel.

and yes we already talked about this subject with him (but this is not the subject of this post)

after I take your note note, that the rewards are not adapted to the scenario.

after I am someone who optimizes his character, so between having a cantrip and be more powerful I do not ask the question (after I admit my rewards may be too strong).

but it will be something hard, and beating a monster will not be the only test.

as said before the limplication, the understanding of the feelings of the other heroes, etc. will be the key, the reward will not be automatic, it will be merit, not like a loot at the end of a dungeon for example.

listen carefully if you have rewards (feat) that match AND optimize the heroes.

Ventruenox
2019-03-20, 07:17 AM

This. So totally this.

While the Engrish could be improved, we value dedication to this hobby here. You want to reward your players for sharing of themselves (in character), so extending some class features/abilities between each other makes more narrative sense than gifting them game breaking new ones.

My suggestions:

Barbarian: gets Fighter's Second Wind.
Rogue: gets one of the Sorcerer's utility cantrips.
Cleric: gains Barbarian's modifier to Constitution savings throws.
Sorcerer: learns Healing Word from the Cleric.
Fighter: either gains Expertise if he shares a skill with the Rogue, or 1d6 Sneak Attack if he doesn't.

None of this is game breaking, it fits the narrative, and also provides useful benefits to each character.

berserker7878
2019-03-20, 07:56 AM
This. So totally this.

While the Engrish could be improved, we value dedication to this hobby here. You want to reward your players for sharing of themselves (in character), so extending some class features/abilities between each other makes more narrative sense than gifting them game breaking new ones.

My suggestions:

Barbarian: gets Fighter's Second Wind.
Rogue: gets one of the Sorcerer's utility cantrips.
Cleric: gains Barbarian's modifier to Constitution savings throws.
Sorcerer: learns Healing Word from the Cleric.
Fighter: either gains Expertise if he shares a skill with the Rogue, or 1d6 Sneak Attack if he doesn't.

None of this is game breaking, it fits the narrative, and also provides useful benefits to each character.can i

your idea is interesting, but for personal reason, friendships i think i take this for rogue:

rogue: montain resistance 1d12+ cons modif