PDA

View Full Version : Find character’s fear

stewstew5
2019-03-20, 11:29 AM
I’m building a character centred around causing fear. I’ve got everything figured out, with one exception: I want the character to be able to determine the deepest darkest fears of others. I know detect thoughts is a thing but I think that would be pushing it, and I’d rather the character be RAW or AL rules compatable so I don’t run into DM resistance.

So, is there anything available in an official rulebook (preferably lvl. 1) that looks like this (I wrote it to fit rule syntax and be on par with a background ribbon): you can observe a creature for one minute to determine one of its fears or phobias

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-20, 11:37 AM
I’m building a character centred around causing fear. I’ve got everything figured out, with one exception: I want the character to be able to determine the deepest darkest fears of others. I know detect thoughts is a thing but I think that would be pushing it, and I’d rather the character be RAW or AL rules compatable so I don’t run into DM resistance.

So, is there anything available in an official rulebook (preferably lvl. 1) that looks like this (I wrote it to fit rule syntax and be on par with a background ribbon): you can observe a creature for one minute to determine one of its fears or phobias

I mean, you really only have a few sources for official stuff:

Player's Handbook
Volo's Guide to Monsters (has Races)
Mordenkainen's (has Races)
Xanathar's (Has spells/subclasses)
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (has spells/subclasses, some variant races).

Beyond that, there aren't any official sources, and nothing has what you're looking for.

Seems like the best strategy for something like that would be Oath of Conquest Paladin X + Bard of Whispers 3. Lots of burst damage, capable of inflicting fear and has incentives for doing so, has Detect Thoughts, and doesn't have too many wasted levels. Bonus points for being Adventure League legal (as it all comes from Xanather's, as long as you use a PHB race).

stewstew5
2019-03-20, 11:40 AM
I mean, you really only have a few sources for official stuff:

Player's Handbook
Volo's Guide to Monsters (has Races)
Mordenkainen's (has Races)
Xanathar's (Has spells/subclasses)
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (has spells/subclasses, some variant races).

Beyond that, there aren't any official sources, and nothing has what you're looking for.

Seems like the best strategy for something like that would be Oath of Conquest Paladin X + Bard of Whispers 3. Lots of burst damage, capable of inflicting fear and has incentives for doing so, has Detect Thoughts, and doesn't have too many wasted levels. Bonus points for being Adventure League legal (as it all comes from Xanather's, as long as you use a PHB race).

Unfortunate indeed, for the class is set and locked. I can cause the fears, I just want to be able to determine them

clash
2019-03-20, 11:42 AM
Whispers bards also gets Shadow Lore at 14 which while it doesnt tell you a creatures deepest fear, it make them think you know it.

A combination of the Fear spell and detect thoughts would work as fear makes them see there deepest fear but unfortunately both are concentration.

Misterwhisper
2019-03-20, 11:45 AM
It may not be as sneaky but you might could pull this off with an insight check while in a conversation with them.
OR
You could also cultivate the fear in others to be of you.

As far as a spell or something goes, nothing of any reasonable level.