PDA

View Full Version : What is exactly a worn or carried object?

Rukelnikov
2019-03-20, 06:14 PM
I was reading telekinesis and had a weird idea. When does an object stop counting as worn or carried? Say the chained ball typically displayed by slaves. Is that a carried object?

If it's not then I can move it without a check, which would mean I can move the chained person without a check.

If it is indeed carried, does that mean I can tie a 100 ft rope to my waist and whatever I tie it too is also considered carried?

Galithar
2019-03-20, 06:46 PM
I feel the best answer to this is talk to your DM and use reason. My answer as a DM would basically be 'Are you trying to break a game mechanic or abuse the "carried/worn" clause? Rule in favor of the action if it isn't and against if it is.

Your examples: Uncontested movement of a person. That's obviously an attempt to break game me mechanics. So no, the ball and chain count as worn.

You tie yourself to the McGuffin the BBEG is trying to steal to prevent them from telekinesising it away. You're trying to use a simple unintended method of countering a spell. No it doesn't count as being worn/carried and I would simply allow the BBEG to break the rope (likely with a warning that this won't work and them using a free action to do so).

JoeJ
2019-03-20, 06:52 PM
If it is indeed carried, does that mean I can tie a 100 ft rope to my waist and whatever I tie it too is also considered carried?

No, but if you weld a short chain to whatever it is and lock the other end around your ankle it might.

Samayu
2019-03-20, 06:55 PM
IMy answer as a DM would basically be 'Are you trying to break a game mechanic or abuse the "carried/worn" clause?

Test: How big was the player's grin when they asked?

Rukelnikov
2019-03-20, 07:01 PM
My idea was clearly abusing the rule lol.

I thought a cool method for party travelling would be each party member ties a 50 ft rope to themselves and then to some object. Party's Wiz casts telekinesis and moves the object! Now the party can travel by hanging from a big flying metal ball!

JoeJ
2019-03-20, 07:02 PM
As for whether you're "wearing" something that's attached to you by a rope, I might consider it if it was something you keep tied to yourself all day long, every day, as part of your normal clothes.

Galithar
2019-03-20, 07:12 PM
I would totally allow you to attach a ball to someone by rope and make it fly around. But you wouldn't be able to move the person attached to the rope.

I believe the intent of that is to prevent you from manipulating an object someone else had CONTROL of. So if in their normal movements they control it's movements: Carried/worn.
If not then you can move the object, if it happens to be attached to someone/thing that isn't controlling it you would have to manipulate them via telekinesis separately.

Edit: I would also allow willing creatures to fly under the spells power assuming you followed it's rules for moving a creature. I would remove the restrained condition if they were willing (also bypassing the contested rolls)

Kane0
2019-03-20, 08:28 PM
Ask your DM, and pray he's a cool enough dude to let you swing slaves around by the balls.

JoeJ
2019-03-20, 08:36 PM

I thought a cool method for party travelling would be each party member ties a 50 ft rope to themselves and then to some object. Party's Wiz casts telekinesis and moves the object! Now the party can travel by hanging from a big flying metal ball!

Or lay a ladder on the ground and have everybody sit on it. Provided you don't go over the weight limit (or use a flimsy ladder) I would rule that works.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-20, 08:43 PM
Ask your DM, and pray he's a cool enough dude to let you swing slaves around by the balls.

Swinging people around by the balls is tight!

Or lay a ladder on the ground and have everybody sit on it. Provided you don't go over the weight limit (or use a flimsy ladder) I would rule that works.

That sounds pretty good too! I'd put it a ship rudder on one end just for looks!

JoeJ
2019-03-20, 08:48 PM
That sounds pretty good too! I'd put it a ship rudder on one end just for looks!

Give everybody a paddle and have them pretend to row.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-20, 08:51 PM
Give everybody a paddle and have them pretend to row.

Keeps getting better!

MountainTiger
2019-03-20, 09:42 PM
The examples are definitely in the worn/carried category to me, but if the idea is to move willing creatures I don't see why they are compelled to contest.

As a party mobility trick, this seems niche compared to upcasting Fly (in a fifth level slot, Fly gives a proper 60 foot flight speed to three creatures instead of allowing the caster to use an action to move 1000lbs 30 feet); I'm cool with letting it shine in that niche.

Sigreid
2019-03-20, 10:19 PM
I'd say if it's meaningfully attached to a person it counts as worn or carried. Really hard for me to buy the argument that the locket around their neck on a long thin chain can't be moved but the ball at the end of their manacles can.

Lunali
2019-03-20, 10:44 PM
I would say that the item the rope is tied to is worn/carried so long as the character is actually capable of doing so. A chained ball, while heavy, is light enough for the character to move around themselves, the wall of a jail cell is not.

JoeJ
2019-03-20, 11:03 PM
I'd say if it's meaningfully attached to a person it counts as worn or carried. Really hard for me to buy the argument that the locket around their neck on a long thin chain can't be moved but the ball at the end of their manacles can.

Both the locket and the ball can if the caster succeeds in a contest of their spellcasting ability against the wearer's Strength. If the contest succeeds, the caster can pull the object away from the person and up to 30 feet. Which means that you can't drag a prisoner by their ball and chain, but you could use this spell to remove the ball and chain.

But I'm definitely going to add this to my urban random encounter list: A ladder is flying down the street, about 4' above the ground. Sitting on the ladder are a dozen gnomes with oars, rowing furiously. At the front is another gnome with a megaphone shouting, "Stroke! Stroke! Stroke!"

Rukelnikov
2019-03-20, 11:17 PM
Both the locket and the ball can if the caster succeeds in a contest of their spellcasting ability against the wearer's Strength. If the contest succeeds, the caster can pull the object away from the person and up to 30 feet. Which means that you can't drag a prisoner by their ball and chain, but you could use this spell to remove the ball and chain.

Wait wait, how do you remove the bhain without taking his feet off?

But I'm definitely going to add this to my urban random encounter list: A ladder is flying down the street, about 4' above the ground. Sitting on the ladder are a dozen gnomes with oars, rowing furiously. At the front is another gnome with a megaphone shouting, "Stroke! Stroke! Stroke!"

I'm planning to have an NPC be the "ferryman" and tell everyone it only works if they row :D

JoeJ
2019-03-20, 11:19 PM
Wait wait, how do you remove the bhain without taking his feet off?

Dunno, but the spell description clearly states that it pulls the object away from the creature with a successful contest, and there's no mention of it doing any damage. It must be magic.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-20, 11:21 PM
Dunno, but the spell description clearly states that it pulls the object away from the creature with a successful contest, and there's no mention of it doing any damage. It must be magic.

Well, ok then :P

FabulousFizban
2019-03-21, 08:44 AM
if you are asking this question you are being a munchkin

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-21, 09:50 AM
if you are asking this question you are being a munchkin

he already admitted that.

Sigreid
2019-03-21, 09:56 AM
he already admitted that.

Yeah, my response at the table would likely be "dont be a [self censored].