PDA

View Full Version : starting gear joining a game late

magwaaf
2019-03-20, 08:18 PM
i've been working on a level 8 human sorcerer with the ectoplasm bloodline and i needed to ask when gearing up what is the restriction at level 8 for enhancement bonus on gear?

Quertus
2019-03-20, 08:22 PM
i've been working on a level 8 human sorcerer with the ectoplasm bloodline and i needed to ask when gearing up what is the restriction at level 8 for enhancement bonus on gear?

Um, there is none? Just follow WBL.

At least you're getting reasonable wealth, and not getting 1st level starting wealth as a higher level character. I've had some bad GMs.

Kayblis
2019-03-20, 10:29 PM
The only restriction you have is your WBL of 27,000 gp. Nothing is restricted by RAW for new characters, so if your GM haven't set any restrictions you can spend it however you like. This does mean you can spend 25k in a single Evasion Ring or +5 Resistance Cloak, but you'll probably get more mileage out of that money by buying the 1~4k lower versions of buff items, along some wands and misc items.

Jack_Simth
2019-03-20, 11:04 PM
The only restriction you have is your WBL of 27,000 gp. Nothing is restricted by RAW for new characters, so if your GM haven't set any restrictions you can spend it however you like. This does mean you can spend 25k in a single Evasion Ring or +5 Resistance Cloak, but you'll probably get more mileage out of that money by buying the 1~4k lower versions of buff items, along some wands and misc items.
Note that grabbing multiple minor bonus items vs. one large bonus item is double-edged:

Yes, you have better numbers overall (Amulet of Natural Armor +2, Bracers of Armor +2, and a Ring of Protection +2 grants +6 AC for 28k, while a Ring of Protection +4 costs 32k and only increases your AC by 4), but there's a 'hidden' drawback:

Found Loot.

Suppose, over the course of a dungeon clearing, the characters have reasonable chance to claim Bracers of Armor +3, an Amulet of Natural Armor +3, and a Ring of Protection +3.

The character that started with the Ring of Protection +4 can simply don the Bracers of Armor +3 and the Amulet of Natural Armor +3 that end up in loot piles, and let someone else claim the Ring of Protection +3. At the end of the dungeon, the one big item person has one +4 and two +3 AC items = +10 AC for the boss fight.

The character that started with the +2 on each of three slots, however, must do incremental improvements, and drop whatever items were in those slots. The "many small bonuses" character has three +3 AC items, = +9 AC for the boss fight.

Of course, after the dungeon, loot is sold, items are crafted, and everyone gets custom stuff again... which is to say, it's just the exact same decision as before, but with a higher starting value.

Which approach is better? Eh. Varies. But there is a tradeoff.

magwaaf
2019-03-30, 08:42 AM
you guys are awesome, thanks! i've never played a full caster before! i know i'm late lol sorry