PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Destiny's Guardian as a 5e class

The Kool
2019-03-21, 09:09 AM
So, I had the idea recently to create a D&D 5e class: the Guardian. Three subclasses, of course: Warlock, Titan, Hunter. What would you include?

JNAProductions
2019-03-21, 10:36 AM
So, I had the idea recently to create a D&D 5e class: the Guardian. Three subclasses, of course: Warlock, Titan, Hunter. What would you include?

Um... Do you have any more than just a name? Like, what is the class supposed to do?

The Kool
2019-03-21, 11:25 AM
Ah, my apologies, I've been playing a lot lately and wasn't thinking that other's aren't familiar with the game. Bungie's Destiny 2, to be precise, so I'll lay out some of what your abilities look like in the game.

Like Halo which was developed by the same company, you have a 'health' bar which is really a regenerating shield. Possibly some kind of effect to duplicate this?
A special jumping/gliding effect. What form it takes varies by subclass.
A grenade (on a recharge, so once per short rest?). What carrier effects it has vary by subclass.
A melee power. What defining features it has vary by subclass.
A subclass-defined ability.
A subclass-defined super ability (once per long rest? In a really drawn out fight in the game you can use this more than once, but it might play better on a long rest recharge).
Various passives defined by the subclass.

All of the above abilities save the shield have a set of options defined by your subclass, and you can freely (during a short rest? In the game if you're willing to pull up the menu you can do it during a fight) swap between them. Some examples:

The Titan tends to have melee abilities that require a 'charge' to activate, and the class ability is a shield that takes one of two forms. The supers are mostly melee range. Tends to be a tank class.
The Warlock class ability is a zone which heals or damage boosts allies, the subclass plays more as a support.
The Hunter plays as more of a DPS, the jump effect is a sort of double jump, one of the passives can apply a short stealth effect, and the supers tend to play more assassin-like.

My big question right now is whether to structure it as a single class with a LOT of options since they all run on the same structure, or to have each of those three be a class all their own? Each of them is further subdivided into three element-themed sub-subclasses that they can freely swap between, which define the current ability options available to the class. I'm leaning towards three separate classes built similarly, and the subclasses being the elemental themes you can swap between.

Garfunion
2019-03-21, 01:33 PM
Creating Destiny Guardian in 5e is going to be a monumental task. But I’m willing to help you brainstorm on it.

You are going to need to look at each Guardian class as a martial weapon wielder half-caster, with forcus on ranged weapon combat.

Many supers can be represented as a spell for example; Golden Gun is Scorching Ray spell.

The Warlock D&D class maybe a good starting point to create 3 different classes from it.

I wouldn’t go to deep into restricting subclass branch abilities. Keep it simple, 3 class archetypes (Arc, Solar, & Void).

The Kool
2019-03-21, 02:58 PM
I actually think 5e is up to the task. It'll be a little unusual in how you can switch subclasses and rearrange ability selections, but I think the overall power and versatility of the class matches the arcane-themed martials we have already. I'd rather not have them cast spells, though, I'd rather the abilities be uniquely constructed. Golden Gun, for example, is unlike Scorching Ray in that they don't all fire at once. It would be a fair starting point, though.

I think the best way is indeed to start with 3 base classes and build 3 subclasses for each (Arc, Solar, Void). I'm thinking switching the subclass should be restricted to long rests, but swapping other ability selections can be short rest, what do you think?

On another note, should I try to incorporate the weapon usage at all in the class? Or simply adapt it to D&D weapons?

clash
2019-03-21, 03:09 PM
I recommend keeping it simple and doing one class (Guardian) with three subclasses of Titan, Warlock and Hunter. All classes are pretty much mirror of each other just adjusting abilities anyways.

The Kool
2019-03-21, 03:12 PM
I recommend keeping it simple and doing one class (Guardian) with three subclasses of Titan, Warlock and Hunter. All classes are pretty much mirror of each other just adjusting abilities anyways.

That's where my original thought stemmed from. The issue is that when you break down Class, Element, and Path, you have... what is it, 27 unique Paths?

clash
2019-03-21, 03:17 PM
That's where my original thought stemmed from. The issue is that when you break down Class, Element, and Path, you have... what is it, 27 unique Paths?

I wouldnt have that level of granularity. I would just do Titan Warlock and Hunter as subclasses and leave off the elements and paths. If anything add something invocation like that gives players a few of those options.

The Kool
2019-03-21, 03:21 PM
I wouldnt have that level of granularity. I would just do Titan Warlock and Hunter as subclasses and leave off the elements and paths. If anything add something invocation like that gives players a few of those options.

Hmm, take the best of each, or build the option into each ability to keep it simple? There's merit to that idea. But with the supers, at least, there's three for each of the three and they're all pretty distinct.

JNAProductions
2019-03-21, 03:28 PM
Can you provide a link or summary of the Guardian's abilities? I maybe could make something, but I need more info.

clash
2019-03-21, 03:31 PM
Hmm, take the best of each, or build the option into each ability to keep it simple? There's merit to that idea. But with the supers, at least, there's three for each of the three and they're all pretty distinct.

Again I would start simple. You dont need to replicate all of the functionality. Just get something basic going. Decide on what features represent the Titan and put that into a subclass. Choose one typical super for each of titan warlock and hunter. I would say nova bomb, golden gun and the titan arc one. The "normal" ones from destiny 1. Simplicity will go a long ways in this class.

Garfunion
2019-03-21, 03:54 PM
I actually think 5e is up to the task. It'll be a little unusual in how you can switch subclasses and rearrange ability selections, but I think the overall power and versatility of the class matches the arcane-themed martials we have already.
I wouldn’t have them switch out unless you are making them into spells.

I'd rather not have them cast spells, though, I'd rather the abilities be uniquely constructed. Golden Gun, for example, is unlike Scorching Ray in that they don't all fire at once. It would be a fair starting point, though.
You shouldn’t look at how a player in the game uses a super, you need to look at how a NPC uses it during a cinematic scene.

I think the best way is indeed to start with 3 base classes and build 3 subclasses for each (Arc, Solar, Void). I'm thinking switching the subclass should be restricted to long rests, but swapping other ability selections can be short rest, what do you think?
I wouldn’t have them switch their subclass (Arc, Solar, Void), however any lesser abilities tied to the subclass should be changeable during a short rest specifically the grenade options.

On another note, should I try to incorporate the weapon usage at all in the class? Or simply adapt it to D&D weapons?
Many of the weapons in Destiny should be treated as magic weapons. However I’m not sure what you are asking.

I’ve started to look at the monk class as the base model for the 3 classes. The monk’s movement feature can be changed to represent the special jump. The Ki feature could incorporate the grenade and melee abilities.

Garfunion
2019-03-21, 03:58 PM
Can you provide a link or summary of the Guardian's abilities? I maybe could make something, but I need more info.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/destiny-2-class-guide?amp

The Kool
2019-03-21, 06:27 PM
At this point I'm rolling base structure around in my head and not digging into how to represent each ability yet, but I appreciate the feedback and will get there.

I think I favor currently the idea of a (fairly similar) base class for each class (hunter, titan, warlock). One of the reasons behind this is that they should actually lend themselves to differing proficiencies. It's probably fair to make the player stick to a single element subclass. Also, if I were to pick a Titan super, it would be Sentinel Shield, but I am actually trying to capture more than just a snapshot of the class, but sufficient structure so that if you took only (or mostly) these three classes, you could very much feel like you were playing a Destiny RPG.

Alacnam
2019-04-19, 06:44 PM
Just out of curiosity how do you think you would handle the immortality/indestructibility aspect of the Guardian identity?

Hit (Wo)Man
2019-04-19, 07:45 PM
https :// dndestinyproject .com/
this work for ya? it literally is Destiny+D&D with rule changes and such but so far is REALLY well made. it is 5e

just remove spaces

The Kool
2019-04-20, 08:28 PM
That is amazing. You are my friend. I will have to read that over.