PDA

View Full Version : grammar: Post again in 1 seconds.

Particle_Man
2019-03-21, 12:12 PM
I posted too soon. Sadly, the grammar of the warning was off, saying "please post again in 1 seconds". Not saying this is the worst thing in the world, but is there a way to grammatically correct this?

Edit: By an incredible coincidence I also posted this post 1 second too soon after posting elsewhere (where the last warning was given after I had posted 1 second too soon), and got the same warning (obviously with the same grammatical error)! :smallsmile:

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-03-21, 12:22 PM
I posted too soon. Sadly, the grammar of the warning was off, saying "please post again in 1 seconds". Not saying this is the worst thing in the world, but is there a way to grammatically correct this?

Edit: By an incredible coincidence I also posted this post 1 second too soon after posting elsewhere (where the last warning was given after I had posted 1 second too soon), and got the same warning (obviously with the same grammatical error)! :smallsmile:

Are you intending to restart this topic every few months (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565450-Grammar-Error&highlight=seconds) going forward?

Because the mods already gave you their answer, and I doubt it will have changed

Ok. Thanks.

Grey Wolf

Peelee
2019-03-21, 01:13 PM
That aside, to answer the actual question, there is a way to change it but it's very likely so low priority that a fix will never be implemented. It's very possibly the lowest payoff fix proposed.

Rynjin
2019-03-21, 03:41 PM
There's an easy fix: don't try to spam posts and you'll never have to see the message at all.

137beth
2019-03-21, 04:04 PM
I'm curious what course of action even triggers the 1-second(s) error message. I've seen the 60-seconds error message showing (especially if I am reporting several posts on a thread), but I don't recall ever seeing the 1-seconds error:smallconfused:

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-03-21, 04:24 PM
I'm curious what course of action even triggers the 1-second(s) error message. I've seen the 60-seconds error message showing (especially if I am reporting several posts on a thread), but I don't recall ever seeing the 1-seconds error:smallconfused:

There is a 30 second period between consecutive posts. The message that informs you of this also tells you how many seconds to wait. If you time it right (or keep trying every second), the message 1 second before you are allowed to post again will have the message.

Grey Wolf

137beth
2019-03-21, 04:56 PM
There is a 30 second period between consecutive posts. The message that informs you of this also tells you how many seconds to wait. If you time it right (or keep trying every second), the message 1 second before you are allowed to post again will have the message.

Grey Wolf

Thanks for clarifying.

Anyhow, I think Pelee did a good job answering the OP's question, so I'll just quote him:

That aside, to answer the actual question, there is a way to change it but it's very likely so low priority that a fix will never be implemented. It's very possibly the lowest payoff fix proposed.

Particle_Man
2019-03-21, 05:07 PM
There's an easy fix: don't try to spam posts and you'll never have to see the message at all.

I assure you that I am not trying to spam threads (the warning applies whether you are posting to the same thread twice or to different threads soon after each other). I just have been hit thrice with that particular warning (the first of which was a while back so I had forgotten that I had already complained about it). I guess I have an internal 59 second cycle? :smallsmile:

Oddly enough I have encountered something similar in the distant past. I was using a dial-up internet connection and it was very slow, even for dial-up. So slow that there was a message telling me how many bytes/second were travelling through, and it eventually went down to "1 byte/second". That meant that someone, somewhere, had programmed in the singular "byte" for rare cases like what I saw. That, I suppose, is what made me think there might be a similar fix for the current situtation.

Maybe I just have that kind of luck? Does anyone else get the "1 seconds" warning?

Oh, and I think it is a full minute required between posts, not 30 seconds.

Peelee
2019-03-21, 05:17 PM
Oddly enough I have encountered something similar in the distant past. I was using a dial-up internet connection and it was very slow, even for dial-up. So slow that there was a message telling me how many bytes/second were travelling through, and it eventually went down to "1 byte/second". That meant that someone, somewhere, had programmed in the singular "byte" for rare cases like what I saw.

That someone got paid as part of his full-time job. The GiantITP webmaster is, to the best of my knowledge, a volunteer position, working in their spare time. Few people will ever get the 60 second page. Fewer still will get it at one second remaining. Fewer will even notice, and for one last step, fewer will care. It's an obscure issue with virtually no call for addressing it and has zero repercussions. They know about it. If the website ever gets to a point where there are almost no more issues to be addressed, everything is humming along perfectly, and the admins have a glut of free time, it may be fixed. Until then, I recommend to not worry about it.

Roland St. Jude
2019-03-21, 08:04 PM
Ok, thanks.

Sheriff: Making another thread about this will be treated as spam.