PDA

View Full Version : Palibard with staff of striking

Willie the Duck
2019-03-21, 12:21 PM
In my campaign, two of us have to roll up new characters at 6th level. I am still waffling (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583715-ASIs-for-storm-sorc-tempest-cleric) on whether or not to take Storm Sorcerer/Tempest Cleric, given my DM's unique house rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23788947&postcount=12).

The other guy changed his mind from fighter1/evoker5 to instead play a paladin or paladin/bard (I'm assuming Asimar, dragonborn, or half-elf since he stated he could only pick one feat, and thus not vuman, but it could be something else entirely). One impetus for this is that the party has access to a Staff of Striking (so, +3 staff, plus presumably dueling fighting style). He's asked me which is better for him to take -- Shield Master or PAM.

I'm... I don't know. On one hand, expertise from bard plus shield master makes for some very reliable advantage. OTOH, that's advantage on two 1d6+str+5 attacks, compared to the 2x1d6+str+5 plus 1d4+str+5 as bonus action plus potentially another 1d6+str+5 as a reaction for PAM (each of which would get an extra 1d8 if/when he gets to Pal 11). That, plus a palibard only gets expertise at bard3. I'm kind of leaning toward saying PAM.

Beyond that, do people think palibard is better than just going straight paladin? I know the quicker spell progression feeds smites, but our games are very much not 15 minute workdays and I'm fairly unimpressed with smite's efficiency in that environment.

Any thoughts people have would be appreciated. I'm being looked to for advice and I've kinda hewed away from the Cha-based multiclasses for several years.
Much thanks in advance!

nickl_2000
2019-03-21, 12:35 PM
If we are talking from a pure combat perspective I would be going level 6 Paladin immediately with PAM.

That gives you the Aura of Protection at the very beginning of the campaign (amazing), and a consistent three attacks per round (amazing). Considering that the character is going to have a +3 to all attacks, advantage really isn't as big of a deal as it would be for other characters. If he takes the Dueling fighting style that is 5 damage on each hit before you roll a die or consider stats. That's is pretty darn amazing.

Willie the Duck
2019-03-21, 02:28 PM
It's certainly good considering he's looking for low-smite paladin. I guess I already knew the answer on that.

What about multiclassing? I think I'll suggest suggesting at least starting with pal6 before dipping out (we don't need healing word bonus-action-bounceback that bad. Everyone has healing potions and the like), but no idea on whether he should pick up bard after that. The whole group kinda agrees no sorcadin or pallock, but bard would be useful. OTOH, at (ex.) 11th level, he'd be casting as a 6th level caster with pure paladin but getting +3-4d8 in at-will damage per turn, whereas the paladin/bard would only be casting at 8th level, so not that much greater (and without the 3rd level paladin spells). Thematically I think the bard concept is 'flagrant self-promoter' which can be done without any actual class levels. It's a tough thing upon which to advise.

nickl_2000
2019-03-21, 02:38 PM
So it would depend on what type of Paladin he is playing. If he is an ancients or conquest I absolute wouldn't multiclass out until after level 7. Their auras are just that good. After that, sure he can go Bard, but if he is only going to get to level 11 total it probably isn't worth it since he would get Improved Divine Smite, anti-fear aura and lots and lots more healing and spells

Willie the Duck
2019-03-21, 02:48 PM
vengeance I think, maybe ancients. I don't know if it's only to 11th, but we've not gotten past ~14th with this DM ever, so I'm certainly not going to make suggestions based on high-level play.

nickl_2000
2019-03-21, 02:49 PM
It is really hard to go wrong with just go straight Paladin...

Rukelnikov
2019-03-21, 04:51 PM
What bard would he go? From a combat perspective, the only one I think may be better than straight pally is Swords.

MagneticKitty
2019-03-21, 05:01 PM
Hear me out..

Vh Mounted combatant feat
dual weilder fighting style from swords bard
Defense fighting style from paladin
Lv 1 fighter for dual weilding (or ask your dm if paladin can give it)
Lv 2 pally for smites
rest is bard
= Dual weilding lances
:D

Comes on line later when you get find steed... But can still ride a horse until then. Other options are ranger 3 (beastmaster) for mount

Unoriginal
2019-03-21, 05:54 PM
Defeated Bad Guy: "Who the hell are you?"

Palibard: "Me? I'm the drummer."

Willie the Duck
2019-03-22, 07:30 AM
Defeated Bad Guy: "Who the hell are you?"

Palibard: "Me? I'm the drummer."

Oh gawds, now I want to make super-smite palibards who are expies of Ringo and Phil Collins.

Monsters- "Run away!"

Palibards- "Respect at last!"