PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Giant Eagle/Elk/Owl: If I Wildshape into one, can I speak Common?

Merudo
2019-03-21, 01:27 PM
The Giant Eagle, Giant Elk and Giant Owl can each speak their own language. They can understand other languages too (Common and either Elvish & Sylvan or Auran) but cannot speak them.

If I Wildshape into one of these creatures, can I speak, say, Common/Dwarvish/Undercommon/etc. if I know them?

I would guess I can't, because presumably the vocal cords of these animals prevent them from speaking any language but their own. These animals explicitly can't speak Common, so at the very least I would assume I can't speak that while Wild Shaped. However, I can't find any hard evidence that this is the case.

In a tweet, Jeremy Crawford said (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/07/21/elemental-language/) that a Druid in Elemental form can speak any language they know, because the Elementals can speak a language.

By this logic, I should be able to speak any language, including Common, as a Giant Eagle/Elk/Owl because these creatures can speak one language.

nickl_2000
2019-03-21, 01:30 PM
So, I don't know where I saw this, but this is how we play it. You are able to speak any language that you as a PC know, if the form has the ability to speak a language.

So in those forms you could speak Dwarven and Undercommon, but not Giant Eagle

Vogie
2019-03-21, 01:51 PM
So, I don't know where I saw this, but this is how we play it. You are able to speak any language that you as a PC know, if the form has the ability to speak a language.

That tracks with keeping with all of your mental stats intact, and losing any physical boons you have (such as an elvish druid losing darkvision when wild shaped into something that doesn't have it)

Merudo
2019-03-21, 02:01 PM

Does the prohibition of these three giant creatures to speak Common also carry over when you Wild Shape into them?

nickl_2000
2019-03-21, 02:10 PM
Does the prohibition of these three giant creatures to speak Common also carry over when you Wild Shape into them?

So, I would ignore it since the language stat is based on the intellegence of the creature (at least in my mind). I would allow the PC in Giant Eagle form to speak common. However, we are probably into DM fiat now.

Merudo
2019-03-21, 02:18 PM
So, I would ignore it since the language stat is based on the intellegence of the creature (at least in my mind). I would allow the PC in Giant Eagle form to speak common. However, we are probably into DM fiat now.

I think it heavily depends on why these Giant creatures can't speak Common.

Is it because they can't physically speak the language? In this case, I would assume a Druid in Wild Shape form can't speak it either.

Is it because they don't know how to speak Common? Then, a Druid in Wildshape Shape should be able to speak that language without trouble. This raises the question: how could the Giant Eagle/Elk/Owl possibly understand a language without knowing how to speak it?

nickl_2000
2019-03-21, 02:25 PM
I think it heavily depends on why these Giant creatures can't speak Common.

Is it because they can't physically speak the language? In this case, I would assume a Druid in Wild Shape form can't speak it either.

Is it because they don't know how to speak Common? Then, a Druid in Wildshape Shape should be able to speak that language without trouble. This raises the question: how could the Giant Eagle/Elk/Owl possibly understand a language without knowing how to speak it?

This is a very true statement. If it doesn't have the physical capacity to speak common, then a Druid wouldn't be able to speak it. If it does and just isn't intelligent enough that's a different situation. There isn't any guidance in the MM as to why they can't speak common. The only flavor they have is
"A giant eagle is a noble creature that speaks its own language and understands speech in the Common tongue. A mated pair of giant eagles typically has up to four eggs or young in their nest (treat the young as normal eagles)."

Which means is lies solidly in the opinion of the DM. I would allow it to speak common, others probably wouldn't.

Corpsecandle717
2019-03-21, 02:27 PM
I would say no. Pronunciation comes from the lips, tongue and jaw and I've always believed the reason these creatures can't speak Common is specifically because these portions of their anatomy were incapable of forming the proper sounds.

I would also be surprised to find out that the languages these creatures can 'speak' are entirely audible. I've always assumed their languages also included a great deal of body language and gestures. Basically a more complex version of the screeches, squawks, growls, and body language that IRL animals use.

Merudo
2019-03-21, 02:55 PM
I would also be surprised to find out that the languages these creatures can 'speak' are entirely audible. I've always assumed their languages also included a great deal of body language and gestures. Basically a more complex version of the screeches, squawks, growls, and body language that IRL animals use.

Interesting. According to this interpretation, a Moon Druid Wildshaped into a Giant Elk and knowing the Giant Elk language would still be unable to give orders to his Conjured Animals around because doing so requires "verbal" commands.

Chronos
2019-03-21, 07:13 PM
I think for ordering around summons, mundane understanding of language isn't actually needed. If all you say in your animal form is "meow", then you can meow and have it mean "Attack that enemy", or have it mean "follow the rogue over there and guard him", or whatever, and they'll do what you mean.

The one I wonder about is Speak with Animals. Does the spell turn your voice into animal sound, or does it make the animal understand the language you're using? And can you speak an animal's "language" even if there are none of that animal around? For instance, elephants can hear each others' vocalizations and communicate over a range of many miles: Could two druids miles apart cast Speak with Animals, and then talk to each other in Elephant?

Dalebert
2019-03-21, 07:49 PM
That's the rub. They understand Common but can't speak it which I've always interpreted rather simply as they don't have the physical ability to vocalize those languages. If you cast Rary's, you'd be able to have fairly elaborate conversations via telepathy in Common.

So no, I wouldn't allow you to speak in those forms. If you spent the time to learn it (and downtime in AL games) I don't see any reason why you couldn't learn their languages.

Corpsecandle717
2019-03-22, 08:57 AM
Interesting. According to this interpretation, a Moon Druid Wildshaped into a Giant Elk and knowing the Giant Elk language would still be unable to give orders to his Conjured Animals around because doing so requires "verbal" commands.

Yup, that's the way I play mine.

Dalebert
2019-03-24, 09:16 PM
But what if you cast Speak with Animals? Magic is making it so animals understand you.

As DM I would allow it.