PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics for party control of an NPC

Elvenoutrider
2019-03-21, 02:18 PM
All, I am running a scooby doo themed call of Cthulhu game for four players this Saturday, becauset fifth player has dropped. This leaves me with only four players to run the iconic 5 character Scooby gang.

I know there are systems that allow players to rotate control of an npc. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one, ideally one where I can use props to represent the players bribing scooby with his iconic Scooby snacks.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-21, 02:26 PM
All, I am running a scooby doo themed call of Cthulhu game for four players this Saturday, becauset fifth player has dropped. This leaves me with only four players to run the iconic 5 character Scooby gang.

I know there are systems that allow players to rotate control of an npc. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one, ideally one where I can use props to represent the players bribing scooby with his iconic Scooby snacks.

A lot of systems use something like a "Fate" token, which you expend to force something cool or lucky to happen. In this case, it's a Scooby Snack.

You start with 2 Scooby Snacks, and using it will pull Scooby to you. He's incredibly lucky, will sniff out badguys, knows exactly when to run and accidentally bumbles into hidden clues, but he has a terrible habit of being lured by food. If you have food on hand, you can lure Scooby to you, which causes lucky things to happen around you, but other people can lure Scooby to them instead.

The DM is the one controlling Scooby at all times, so inevitably he's the one who decides what gets revealed or how Scooby helps. Halfway through the campaign, another bag of Scooby Snacks is provided, which rewards everyone one more Scooby Snack until the end of the game. Scooby is only lucky for as long as he's fed Scooby Snacks, and is a bit less interesting if he hasn't been fed in a while.

Slipperychicken
2019-03-23, 11:55 AM
What if you use the 'Everyone Is John' bidding system for it? That game is all about having multiple players fight for control over a single character.

Mendicant
2019-03-23, 05:18 PM
Kids on Bikes has rules for controlling a common NPC. Basically there are characteristics or traits about the NPC that get farmed out to various players on note cards, and when a trait is center stage the player with its card is in charge of the NPC.