PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Cobalt Sage Creations] Belaran Public Playtest - New Player Species

Deviston
2019-03-21, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the Playtest for the Species Archive: Belaran, presented by Cobalt Sage Creations! This book features a number of new additions to the Pathfinder Roleplaying game, including:

The Belaran: a species of aberrations new to a world and with an unfortunate creation tale. Their culture split after their creator deity abandoned them for unknowable pursuits. The species finds difficulty interacting with others at first due to their strange appearance. With tentacles on their faces and arms, the ability to use their arm tentacles for combat, and skin that shifts and changes based on otherworldly influence, the belaran are a sight to behold.

Introducing the Exemplar Class: CSC loved the old racial paragon classes so much, we decided to bring them back. Renamed the exemplar classes, the belaran gets their own. The belaran have a deep leaning toward three primary sectors: those who love divinity, those who wish to stand strong without it, and those who wholly reject it. These three paths are reflected as the greatest examples of what makes a belaran what they are.

New feats and items for exploring the belaran life: Their foretelling flesh can do so much more than the younger belarans know; with omen feats you can teach these young ones what they couldn’t have imagined is possible. New exertion feats provide an alternate way to use tentacles in a game, giving you the ability to strain and get some extra umph out of them while exhausting them for a short time after.

The Species Archive: Belaran - Public Playtest (https://cobaltsage.page.link/belaran_playtest)

khadgar567
2019-03-22, 01:45 AM
Welcome to the Playtest for the Species Archive: Belaran, presented by Cobalt Sage Creations! This book features a number of new additions to the Pathfinder Roleplaying game, including:

The Belaran: a species of aberrations new to a world and with an unfortunate creation tale. Their culture split after their creator deity abandoned them for unknowable pursuits. The species finds difficulty interacting with others at first due to their strange appearance. With tentacles on their faces and arms, the ability to use their arm tentacles for combat, and skin that shifts and changes based on otherworldly influence, the belaran are a sight to behold.

Introducing the Exemplar Class: CSC loved the old racial paragon classes so much, we decided to bring them back. Renamed the exemplar classes, the belaran gets their own. The belaran have a deep leaning toward three primary sectors: those who love divinity, those who wish to stand strong without it, and those who wholly reject it. These three paths are reflected as the greatest examples of what makes a belaran what they are.

New feats and items for exploring the belaran life: Their foretelling flesh can do so much more than the younger belarans know; with omen feats you can teach these young ones what they couldn’t have imagined is possible. New exertion feats provide an alternate way to use tentacles in a game, giving you the ability to strain and get some extra umph out of them while exhausting them for a short time after.

The Species Archive: Belaran - Public Playtest (https://cobaltsage.page.link/belaran_playtest)
link problem cant access

inuyasha
2019-03-22, 02:43 AM
Link seems to be working fine here! I've looked through some of the document and have added some comments :smallsmile:

Deviston
2019-03-22, 05:07 AM
link problem cant access

Not sure what's going on there khadgar, I've not had anyone else report a problem with it and I can't seem to find issue myself. I wish I could help more!

Deviston
2019-03-22, 05:17 AM
And thank you kindly for the replies, I touched at them a smidge.

Deviston
2019-04-02, 05:37 AM
Alright, most of the edits have been taken into account and all comments addressed. Some were resolved.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to read through our little baby. Even lore critiques are welcome! I'm giving this until the 15th before I pull it and call it "done", so any more eyes on it between now and then would be dearly appreciated :D

khadgar567
2019-04-02, 10:18 AM
I like the coiled tentacles but race feels like needing more fluff to make it complete. otherwise all content feels lackluster for a race of Cthulhu spawn.

Deviston
2019-04-02, 10:42 AM
Interesting point. Something needs to be in the fluff about tentacles. Currently they just... exist. Is that the message I'm reading?

Or is this over all? And if so, could you provide a small example of what you mean?

khadgar567
2019-04-02, 11:27 AM
Interesting point. Something needs to be in the fluff about tentacles. Currently they just... exist. Is that the message I'm reading?

Or is this overall? And if so, could you provide a small example of what you mean?
this is for overall fluff as I can't see the distinct play this race fluff from the text and only point race sells me is the coiled tentacles and otherwise its bit on the limbo for me and considering stormlord as a class this is not the race I want to go with it. Actually, I can't put my finger on the main problem but this race wants to use their tentacles ant their outsiderness but they try to hide it and fluff kinda don't make sense for me to use any class with them besides the commoner

Deviston
2019-04-04, 01:24 PM
Well, the species was designed with the cleric and the paladin in mind. And to be clear, they aren't designed to be paired with the stormborn at all. The two are mutually exclusive.

As for the fluff, the design came about from a seed idea of "a species left by their creator to fend for themselves" and the 'timeline' of the writing is shortly after they've settled form the tumolt of realizing they're now effectively abandoned.

The writing was more to allow for the species to be plugged into an existing world as is without ruffling much in the way of feathers of the rest of the world design. It wasn't written to fill a play niche, it was written as a species that may actually react given their situation. Concept/lore/fluff/roleplay/story first, game mechanics applicability second, and current game meta last. So it's not meant to fill a specific niche or role necessarily, just meant to be an interesting concept to explore in the setting of Pathinder. If that makes sense.

Deviston
2019-04-15, 06:23 AM
That's it, playtest is over and now we take all this back. Thanks all!