PDA

View Full Version : Oyster men

Velaryon
2019-03-21, 04:21 PM
So, the monthly D&D game I run for teens at my library has taken a turn for the silly. I'm currently using the Moonshae Treasure Hunt adventure from D&D Adventurer's League because it can easily be split into multiple shorter sessions (we can only play for 2 hours at a time).

The module contains a sort of throwaway gag - a talking oyster named Happi (he used to be a half-orc but was cursed by a sea witch and now has the body of an oyster). The players are allowed to take him along because he's tired of being stuck on the beach with nothing to do. And so they did. Well, the next leg of the adventure has a quest-giving NPC who happens to be a druid of an unspecified level. So the party (quite reasonably IMO) asked the druid whether they can do anything to help Happi. I had her say that she would do some research to see what she can do.

I'm planning to have it that she can only temporarily free him from his curse, allowing him to spend a couple hours at a time in a mostly humanoid form. Basically, he will be like a living Figurine of Wondrous Power, except as an oyster/humanoid hybrid. Does such a thing exist? Probably not, but it never hurts to ask. If not, any suggestions on how I could stat out such a creature?

wilhelmdubdub
2019-03-21, 04:28 PM
If you are going silly, make him a triton warlock who was a member of the Blue Oyster Cult

Rukelnikov
2019-03-21, 04:31 PM
If you are going silly, make him a triton warlock who was a member of the Blue Oyster Cult

Only to later on reveal he was actually using change shape to be a Triton. He's actually a...

MagneticKitty
2019-03-21, 04:33 PM
I'd look at simmic hybrid, trident, sea elf, tortle or lizardfolk for a base race. Pair with veteran, champion, bandit captain or whatever humanoid stat block fits your power level for the stats (there are a few fighter or rogue surrogates that say they can be any humanoid, look at these)

Particle_Man
2019-03-21, 05:22 PM
Can Happi produce pearls?

Sigreid
2019-03-21, 06:38 PM
Play the story of Reuben Clamzo as his theme song.

rlc
2019-03-21, 07:52 PM
There are also sidekick classes, if you want him to be a little more similar to the pcs, without having to do too much work

Joe the Rat
2019-03-21, 10:14 PM
Can Happi produce pearls?
Only if you irritate him.

Particle_Man
2019-03-21, 10:54 PM
Well he seems pretty irritated at being cursed anyhow.

rlc
2019-03-21, 10:59 PM
If he gets irritated, does his name change to Angri?

Finback
2019-03-21, 11:28 PM
Maybe he can find peace and a future with these folk.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/echomage/cards/UGL/5763.hq.jpg

lordarkness
2019-03-22, 07:02 AM
I double down on the silly when my players choose it like yours did here.

You could make the oyster a kleptomaniacal half-orc were-oyster who turns into an oyster every time he steals (which is most of the time he isn't an oyster).

Once she finds out they are helping him, the sea witch will demand the party pay back the pearls the orc stole from her incurring the curse in the first place (they could get the pearls during the course of their main mission so this could all just be minor additions).

Of course the orc had the original stolen pearls the whole time so the party gets a reward in the end once the orc shares the pearls and thus breaks his curse.

For added flavor maybe she's a seawich: a soggy evil talking sandwich who was cursed for stealing those same pearls from something else.

redwizard007
2019-03-22, 10:20 AM
Maybe he can find peace and a future with these folk.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/echomage/cards/UGL/5763.hq.jpg

Is it wrong that I immediately started planning a deck around this card?

Sigreid
2019-03-22, 12:08 PM
Isn't it about time the party meets his arch enemies, the Walrus and the Carpenter?

deljzc
2019-03-22, 03:08 PM

And the only way to summon him from his oyster form is to play LOTS of cowbell.....

Samayu
2019-03-22, 10:21 PM
Blue Oyster Cult, Ruben Clamzo - these are teens he's DMing for. They'll have no idea what he's talking about. Even the Clambassadors card came out before they were born.

But I enjoyed the jokes. :smile:

*runs off to find some clampoons*

Sigreid
2019-03-23, 01:25 PM
Blue Oyster Cult, Ruben Clamzo - these are teens he's DMing for. They'll have no idea what he's talking about. Even the Clambassadors card came out before they were born.

But I enjoyed the jokes. :smile:

*runs off to find some clampoons*

For Reuben Clamzo you would definitely have to play the song in the background or something.

Velaryon
2019-03-23, 03:07 PM
Samayu is right, none of my players are over 18 and most are 12-13. They might get the "more cowbell" reference since it's become a meme, but I would be surprised if any of them could name the band or the song. Reuben Clamzo is a reference even I don't get - I will have to look into that when I'm not posting from work. :smallbiggrin:

I think a Simic hybrid with a sidekick class would be a good way to approximate what I'm going for. And I may even show them the Clambassadors card (I may even have one stashed away in my collection, I'll have to check) as an idea of what Happi looks like, though he'd be a bit more burly I suppose.

Thanks everyone!

Finback
2019-03-24, 09:39 PM
Is it wrong that I immediately started planning a deck around this card?

I run it in a Zedruu commander deck, because that's nothing BUT handing off stuff you don't want (eg has penalties, or has ETB benefits that then become useless) to others.