PDA

View Full Version : Help with Luskan Ships

Chevallaine
2019-03-21, 08:10 PM
Hey all, trying to put together a lore-friendly 5E campaign in Luskan but I keep running into a simple roadblock with Luskan's ships. STK mentions that, "Each Ship has its own symbol and colors. Members of a Ship often wear their colors, decorate their round shields with the symbols and colors, and tattoo themselves with the color." (pg. 96). I, for the life of me, cannot find any reference to what these actual symbols and colors are. I'd appreciate any help and insight, or a link in the right direction!

Lunali
2019-03-21, 09:39 PM
Since it's a per ship thing, symbols and colors will be decided by the captain or owner of the ship so just make up whatever you want. If you want inspiration, look at historical heraldry and mix and match as you like.

Missing
2019-03-21, 09:45 PM
Can't give you anything definitive but just go with what seems appropriate. They are sailors/pirates so anything aquatic or piratical would probably be fine lore wise. My immediate thought was something like the ships from the Iron Islands from Game of Thrones with the giant cthuluesqe octopus/squid creature.

Other ideas; stylized ships, crossed cutlasses, leaping fish, eel/sea-serpents etc all seem fine to me heck even simple colour patterns like alternating bands of red and yellow or whatever.

Others might have more concrete ideas but I say go with what you like the sound/look of.

EDIT: Ninja'd

You could try looking here too if you really struggle for ideas
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Boats_in_heraldry

PeteNutButter
2019-03-22, 09:05 AM
Medieval heraldry can be a bit complex for pirates.

I think you’d want imagery that is a little simpler. Check out the Greek shield symbols. Most of them are more practical to slap on 50 shields with an unskilled artist.

SpanielBear
2019-03-22, 10:15 AM
Old pub and street signs can be good too. When a large proportion of your population is illiterate, you go for simplicity and ease of recognition. Old street signs in Prague are a good example.

Chevallaine
2019-03-22, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone!

I was hoping that the Ships already had some pre-existing symbols and colors representing each crew but it sounds like they don't. That's fine, that gives me the opportunity to make my own! lol