PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #301 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2006-04-06, 12:01 AM
New comic is up. Anyone taking bets on how long before someone tells me this is the worst comic ever?

zibeck
2006-04-06, 12:02 AM
Um...what were you smoking?

EDIT: First Post!

TinSoldier
I don't know, I'm going to go read it right now...

Nahh... That was hilarious! Roleplaying XP to Milk Dudes and Soda!

That Lanky Bugger
Awesome!

I'd like to point out it's pretty wicked that Pizza was a badass fighter.

NEO|Phyte
MILK DUDES! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! [/vader]

Bozidar
2006-04-06, 12:03 AM
worst...comic... ever...

;)

nice job, Giant. ;D

Gleanerizer
I just wanted to see how the Linear Guild was doing, or maybe the OotS... ???

Holy moley.

Well, I laughed anyway. :)

K-man
Awesome.... simply awesome

K-man

illathid
wohoo! we get a comic... altough i would of been fine with the giant taking a break...

i like it too... so that counts for something.

Good job Giant!

p.s. 1st page!

AdInfinitum
So....funny....

Just got back from a movie, actually. Makes it all the more funny. ;D

wampus
2006-04-06, 12:04 AM
First page, for the first time, on my third post none the less.

That was really random, though still good none the less:

"... you'll dispose of my body in the waste recepticles ... conveniantly located by the theater exits..."

Classic

Brat-t
LOL Laughed my ass off.

what class is milk dudes? paladin?

theKOT
Wow, that's more proof that you are deeply disturbed Giant!

But it made me laugh and I really liked it, so I guess that makes two of us! I wonder what you woke up saying this morning? "..popcorn gods..."

TheJet31619
Milk Dudes "NOOOOOOOOO!" lol

FIRST PAGE!

Ravyn
That was utterly and completely random; I don't know whether to laugh or let my brain explode. (The solution, it turned out: split the difference.)

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-04-06, 12:05 AM
OMG that was hilarious! I loved the newer movie snack foods going up against the traditional fare.

Nice little curveball there. ;)

Mattaeu
return of the fruit pie sorcerer? :P

good comic

Lilly
*looks at it curiously* uhhh.... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

Okay that's a good intermission. Better than the one my friends and I made up for a project with singing beavis and butthead slippers.

galith
I wonder, which OOTS book is this going to end up in ;)?

Jazlyna
Is this first post and first page?!

Prolly not but great comic. Very refreshing little break... Good job as always!

tsu
2006-04-06, 12:06 AM
that was pretty funny

Some_Guy
2006-04-06, 12:07 AM
I'm getting a real 'Exalted' vibe out of this one...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-04-06, 12:08 AM
All I got to say is, 'Hooo boy...' ::)

AmoDman
Okay, that was...odd, LOL.

Thomar_of_Uointer
That was the best intermission EVER. Better than Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Hmm...
Does this mean that the OotS is going to be exactly 600 comics long?

evileeyore
Bwahahahahahahaha!

Brilliant!

"...dispose of my body in the waste receptacle ... conveniently located by the theater exits ..."

Brilliant!

Also this clearly shows why a party of casters does not "reign supreme".

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-04-06, 12:09 AM
Why am I not surprised to learn that Pizza would be a sword weilding fighter...?

teratorn
Of course, now I want to see soda's revenge.

Winged One
Yay for random chaos!

Hawkeye
2006-04-06, 12:10 AM
Noooooooo! I waited up until 5am to see the begining of the new story arc, but, but ,but... argh!

Ahem. But seriously nice touch having a buffer in between the two, gives us a bit of a breather. And you've got to love the godly popcorn bucket :D

Annalia
2006-04-06, 12:11 AM
That's... marvelous!

Just shows us how mad you can be! :P I just love it.

theKOT
This also answers the age-old question: does the Giant consider OOTS more similar to a movie or a TV show?

Vampire_Boy
I hope they killed those soy lattes, man, I hate 'em so much! ;)

Winged One
This strip actually fits my definition of art, which is "anything that makes me look at it and go 'what the hell is that?'".

Allanon
2006-04-06, 12:12 AM
uh interesting definately wasnt expecting that

Django
2006-04-06, 12:12 AM
I am pretty sure I'm not alone in saying, abandon OOTS. Its run its course. The future for Giantitp.com is the Ongoing Saga of Movie Theater Snacks, or OSOMTS.

Anybody else?

Allanon
2006-04-06, 12:13 AM
No your alone mate

Alsadius
You're demented, Rich, you know that?

I love it!

Edit: Just noticed - isn't it supposed to be milk DUDS, not milk DUDES? Or was that some kind of copyright thing?

MrNexx
That is so cool. If I wasn't still stuck on the "If you're going to sit in your basement pretending to be an elf..." ad as my background, it would've gone there...

Frojoe21
2006-04-06, 12:14 AM
To quote those Irish guys from the Guiness commercials

"BRILLIANT!!"

Very funny. If I was drinking milk, it would have shot out of my nose when I read the comic.

Aemirai
2006-04-06, 12:14 AM
My sister and I were cracking up over this one. We've both served our time as movie theater wenches, and people not throwing their stuff away is one of my biggest pet peeves. The garbage cans are RIGHT THERE!

Glome
2006-04-06, 12:15 AM
How long do you think it's be until there's an alignment discussion on the various movie refreshments :P

and where was hot dog during this battle?

Caledonian
2006-04-06, 12:17 AM
Mr. Burlew, you are absolutely mad.

Exxxcellent.

(Do you watch any Invader Zim? Your humor is rather similar, albeit wholesome and fairly optimistic.)

Godhand
2006-04-06, 12:18 AM
How long do you think it's be until there's an alignment discussion on the various movie refreshments :P

and where was hot dog during this battle?

Oh hotdog, the unloved black sheep of movie snacks. I'll be sure to eat several of you the next time I go to a movie theater.

Aaya
2006-04-06, 12:21 AM
Giant, I loved it.

I honestly did. ;D

ref
2006-04-06, 12:22 AM
wha?? what the??? er...

Is this like those fruit pie snacks where we non-USians need some sort of cultural note?

And Nachos died, and Milk Dudes died too... what the is milk dudes anyway?

When I go to the cinema, it's always pop corn and soda (of that kind that has the principal offices in Atlanta)

Swashbuckler
2006-04-06, 12:24 AM
Worst comic? NO WAY! Absolutely hilarious!! ;D

Melnor
2006-04-06, 12:24 AM
HAHAHAHAHA!!
Oh Giant, that was SO funny!
Hahaha, totally something I would do...
That was amazing, made my night, hahaha.

luilupino
2006-04-06, 12:25 AM
Laughs.. a big one
Just got out from a movie
But I'm afraid to say that I just got half of the joke, in Brazil we dont have Milky Dudes, but it must be just a snack right ?
What's going to happen with The order??? DUN DUN DUN

Melnor
2006-04-06, 12:29 AM
[quote author=Thomar_of_Uointer link=board=comics;num=1144296085;start=15#24 date=04/06/06 at 00:08:30]That was the best intermission EVER. Better than Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Kung Pow had a pretty awesome Intermission too, but not near as good as this one!

Kulatu
2006-04-06, 12:31 AM
*Falls out of chair with laughter.*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

BEST OOTS EVER!

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

theKOT
2006-04-06, 12:33 AM
To all of the non-US people wondering about this:
Milky dudes is a knock-off of Milk duds, little chocolate covered balls of this creamy chewy white stuff.
The song the snacks are singing was a popular jingle in theaters from a while ago used to encourage movie-goers to buy overpriced food from the concessions stand.

Fishies
2006-04-06, 12:34 AM
Order of the Traditional Movie Theatre Snacks!!

Also, what's the snacks' song's tune?

TinSoldier
2006-04-06, 12:34 AM
They still play that same song in theaters around here. Occasionally.

Archonic Energy
2006-04-06, 12:35 AM
in the immortal words of confusious

??!!?? W T F ??!!??

american pop culture methinks

Cirin
2006-04-06, 12:36 AM
Is this like those fruit pie snacks where we non-USians need some sort of cultural note?

And Nachos died, and Milk Dudes died too... what the is milk dudes anyway?

When I go to the cinema, it's always pop corn and soda (of that kind that has the principal offices in Atlanta)Well, for cultural reference if needed, popcorn and coke are still the traditional food at movie theaters (aka cinema, but not often called that here) in the US), but over the last decade or two there have been an increasing variety of other foods offered.

Boxes of candy have also been standard theater fare for many decades as well, of which milk duds are one of the most popular and well known. Milk Duds are a popular candy eaten in theaters, of small, caramels mixed with chocolate and with a chewy chocolate shell, a little less than 1 cm in diameter.

The way that the film distribution system in the US is set up, the price of the ticket goes back to the distributor and studio, the theater itself makes it's money from selling concessions, thus they try to make theater snacks as appealing as possible (and infamously expensive, expect to pay roughly 3 to 5 times for anything at a theater than you'd pay anywhere else). Bringing outside food in is prohibited, but sneaking food in is common (to get around the outrageous prices).

As part of this, more filling and tasty snacks than popcorn have been offered since the early 90's. Most large theaters offer hotdogs, pizza slices, and nachos. Some theaters do have small coffee bars also selling various coffee-based drinks.

The "let's all go to the lobby" song they were singing at the beginning is a reference to a many decades old promotional clip played at the beginning of a showing at theaters, very rarely now (except as a bit of occasional nostalgia), but it was to remind and advertise the wares of the concessions booth.

Xenon
ive always liked snowcaps. you know, those things like chocolate chips covered in white sprinkles? those are good.

popcorn FTW!

ElfLad
Wow... this comic dialed the WTF-o-meter all the way up to eleven...

Not that it's a bad thing, mind you.

NivMizzet
2006-04-06, 12:39 AM
That was amazing ;D... I hallucinated a two-second burst of dramatic music when milk-dudes died. But did anyone else notice the tiny outlined brown spot immediately beneath soda's straw in panel 2? It's placement is awkward for a drop or splash of soda... so what is it?

Holy_Knight
2006-04-06, 12:39 AM
Edit: Just noticed - isn't it supposed to be milk DUDS, not milk DUDES? Or was that some kind of copyright thing?

Yeah, when I was reading these posts, I kept thinking "Why does everyone keep misspelling that?" until I went back and looked at the comic again. I think it probably was to avoid copyright things.

Anyway, funny strip Giant, and I loved the "trash receptacle" line. Still, I have to say I'm shocked at how graphically morbid the comic is becoming--are you aware that EVERY time you've written a strip with anthropomorphic snacks, one of them has been stabbed? What kind of message is that sending to the children who eat them? :P

Martok
2006-04-06, 12:42 AM
And now for something completely different....

You're an odd, odd man Rich. Don't ever change. 8)

Popkorn
I would lie when i say that I hate it :)

<-- my nick says everything or not? ^^

I really really like it *thumbs up*

ARMOURERERIC
>:(DANG IT.....

I completely missed the dialog from the end beacuse some idiot sittling in fromt of my did not silence their cell phone.

Eric

BTW Giant, I know darn well you placed the obligitory subliminal ad frame in there......I just ran out to buy 8 packs of Good-n-Plenty.

SumGuy
2006-04-06, 12:43 AM

Not that it's a bad thing, mind you.

I've always considered OotS to be at a constant state of elevenness. :)

this comic helps prove that Rich is capaple of making paradies that dont involve inherently nerdy subjects. WTG!

TinSoldier
2006-04-06, 12:44 AM
That was amazing ;D... I hallucinated a two-second burst of dramatic music when milk-dudes died. But did anyone else notice the tiny outlined brown spot immediately beneath soda's straw in panel 2? It's placement is awkward for a drop or splash of soda... so what is it?It's a part of Milk Dudes. He has Milk Dudes popping out of him all the time. Sounds weird when I write it, though.

Jarl
http://missyscloud.tripod.com/LOBBY.wav

-although this version says "treat"... communists.

Barazon
My only complaint is that The Popcorn God zapped the nachos, instead of the soy latte!

TinSoldier
2006-04-06, 12:46 AM
My only complaint is that The Popcorn God zapped the nachos, instead of the soy latte!Nachos was the cleric. Don't you always go after the spellcaster first?

Tibor
2006-04-06, 12:49 AM
Best

OOTS

EVER

tothecornfield
2006-04-06, 12:51 AM
New comic is up. Anyone taking bets on how long before someone tells me this is the worst comic ever?
You're being too hard on yourself. Everybody knows that the worst comic ever is "Family Circus". This strip is obviously superior because it was funny. It also makes it difficult for people to complain about there being too much plot.

Grey Watcher
2006-04-06, 12:54 AM
Rich, this is a very interesting response to your critics who've been complaining that the strip has gotten too plotty.

Bravo.

Now, about the strip itself:

I'm honestly rather surprised that a latte has the steady hands necessary to use a bow and arrow. He must have a racial feat. Suppress Jitters or something....

And now I'm curious as to how the rest of the battle turned out....

And where the hell is the big pretzel in all of this? Maybe the hot dog and the pretzel are having a side-quest with hot snack-on-snack action.

Tomada
2006-04-06, 12:55 AM
Not that that was a bad comic, it wasn't. It was great, actually. But you could say you would not start the new OOTS era right now, putting some intermissions or fillers or whatever. there are some of your fans here who are awake at 01:00 in the mornning to see the comic and have to wake up at 6o' clock.

You know, just so we can wait till the other day and actually have some sleep? (Since OOTS is better than sleeping anyway)

Vaarsuvius_Prime
2006-04-06, 12:56 AM
Three Spellcasters Vs Three Nonspellcasters...

TinSoldier
2006-04-06, 12:56 AM
And where the hell is the big pretzel in all of this? Maybe the hot dog and the pretzel are having a side-quest with hot snack-on-snack action.I'm glad I didn't have a drink in my mouth when I read that. Hot snack-on-snack action indeed! ::)

Tomada
2006-04-06, 12:59 AM
Rich, this is a very interesting response to your critics who've been complaining that the strip has gotten too plotty.

Bravo.

Now, about the strip itself:

I'm honestly rather surprised that a latte has the steady hands necessary to use a bow and arrow. He must have a racial feat. Suppress Jitters or something....

And now I'm curious as to how the rest of the battle turned out....

And where the hell is the big pretzel in all of this? Maybe the hot dog and the pretzel are having a side-quest with hot snack-on-snack action.

Pretzels are banned from public shows since one got stuck in some president's throat. He enacted a law enforcing then to be kept on hold and not be taped in any form.

Or Rich simply forgot about then...

And I though soda was going to be a sword and shield style character!

And... The popcorn is going down! the soy lattés (whatever that is) is going to shoot him true.

Roadkill_Coyote
2006-04-06, 01:00 AM
It was worth it just for

"We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"

;D

Friv
2006-04-06, 01:01 AM
I want to know who wins the ultimate battle - we've still got two people left on each side...

PhoeKun
2006-04-06, 01:04 AM
I can honestly say I've never laughed so hard at an OoTS strip... in fact, I'm still laughing. I can't breathe properly, and I'm starting to feel dizzy. I may die from lack of oxygen, but it'll be worth it.

Oh, ye gods...

lunar
2006-04-06, 01:06 AM
This was the funniest order in a long time! Sorcerer the Fruit Pie, you have a new friend!

infiniteviking
2006-04-06, 01:06 AM
AAAAAhahahahahahaha! *snif* Heroism and character development and and pathos and humor and the generation gap and ... Best comic ever!*

*Other than the doily incident, of course. ;)

Oh, man, oh, man, that was waaaay too funny....

Wolf_In_Exile
2006-04-06, 01:07 AM
Oh man, that's got to be my favorite strip so far

*sighs contentedly after regaining oxygen*

RBloom0566
2006-04-06, 01:10 AM
"We have become like unto tiny refreshing gods"...
'with titan-sized prices! *LOL*

Oh man, that was a riot. I am sooo glad nachos got blasted; theater nachos must be Neutral Evil.

Giant, you are truly twisted in your humor. I like that. I MUST ask, what was the inspiration? Recent trip to the theater?

Tibor
2006-04-06, 01:11 AM
I've just had a thought and realized how smart I was not to buy that Huge box of Junior mints when I went to go see V for Vendetta.

It's grapple modifier had to be enormous.

Jaxinator
HA HA! Brilliant! I would love to actually see your "snack ad" rendition in a theater.

Great stuff as always oh Giant, my Giant

this is reminesent of the fruit snack rendition in strip 91.

SnowBear
This…this right here….this is why I love the Order of the Stick :D

Seros
2006-04-06, 01:16 AM

This was actually the best comic eva for me =)

tothecornfield
2006-04-06, 01:18 AM
I don't understand why there is even a debate about the comic having too much plot. This is a comic with very heavy continuity. Anyone who doesn't realize this hasn't been paying attention. Plot is what keeps us stuck to our browser refresh buttons every time a new strip is due. We admire the art and the comedy however after we have taken it all in we are left with one question. What will happen next? I am up late as I write this as a result of an attempt to answer that question as I have been many times before. I will go to sleep tonight again with that question in my mind. Honestly I couldn't be more satisfied.

AzSteven
2006-04-06, 01:20 AM
Much giggling has ensued, but I fear the "Let's all go to the lobby..." song is stuck firmly in my head for the night.

NOT the worst strip ever - in fact, its pretty danged funny...

wolf_mage
2006-04-06, 01:24 AM
That was really, really funny. That made my day.

You're the best, Giant!

Behold_the_Void
2006-04-06, 01:25 AM
This is a masterpiece of comic goodness.

Jaxinator
2006-04-06, 01:29 AM
Also, what's the snacks' song's tune?

Do Do Do-Do-Do DO Do (and repeat)

and now you know :D

Tawkis
2006-04-06, 01:30 AM
Awesome, although I generally associate that tune with Saturday morning cartoons...
Where they told you to go to the kitchen and grab yourself a snack.....

Still that's right up there with the Fruit Pie Sorcerer

The_Librarian
2006-04-06, 01:33 AM
Oh no, oh noooooo!!! Maybe it's just my sleep deprived state, but that comic filled me with sadness and horror. And yet, part of me wonders if they should have put that intermission in the middle of Lord of the Rings... (actually, it would be great to still have intermissions- the UK seems to lack them).

NovaNightmare
2006-04-06, 01:44 AM
Most...chaotic...comic...ever...and best for what it was!

YaY intermishion!!!

Magus
2006-04-06, 01:45 AM
Bravo, Giant! I must bow yet again!

Matuse
2006-04-06, 01:45 AM
That strip was enough to make any brown-blooded Milk Dudedienne-American cry at the plight our people have suffered through the centuries...

...and then to have the Giant belittle our struggle.

I'm completely outraged.

Sholos
2006-04-06, 01:46 AM
Great comic.

As a theater employee, I must say that I wish more people took Milk Duds' advice. I can't tell you how many times I find them on the floor. Both the boxes, and the candy.

lunar
2006-04-06, 01:46 AM
Xyklon's advice is good advice. Try to pee before the movie, otherwise you might miss something important.

Vargtass
2006-04-06, 01:50 AM
Can't really bring myself to label this a spoiler for the OoTS. Sorry...

But now I see... Banjo and Popcorn will form their own pantheon, and start a new webcomic, questing to gain acceptance from Tiger, Thor, and Tiamat.

Allright, lawfulness have the better of me, I hid the text anyway...

And, needless to say: excellent comic. Looking forward to continuation in the next intermission (e.g. x01, x=4,5,6...). And obviously, also to the continuing exploits of our favourite dysfunctional adventuring party of all time: OoTS!

(I just know that Zombie dragon will give my DM nasty ideas... And game night's on Tuesday. Timing is ominous...)

TheLastOfTheFallen
2006-04-06, 01:56 AM
Oh. My. God.

I blew soda out my nose and all over my keyboard. That was hilarious!!!! ;D

Jonathan327
2006-04-06, 01:58 AM
Holy crap, awesome.

AveTris
2006-04-06, 01:58 AM
Definately not what I expected. Funny though.

Oddly, I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation.

Malkith
2006-04-06, 01:59 AM
oh dear christ...

rosebud
2006-04-06, 02:03 AM
I blew soda out my nose and all over my keyboard.That's an, um, impressive special skills attack. I presume you are a Soy Latté acolyte? :)

Nightstallion
2006-04-06, 02:03 AM
I honestly don't know what to say.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-04-06, 02:06 AM
oh god.....this is by far one of the funniest things i have ever laid eyes upon

JessmanCA
2006-04-06, 02:10 AM
Best comic ever.

Solmage
2006-04-06, 02:22 AM
I laughed a lot.

I also looked around for my trust broadsword until I realized it's use would not get me a new comic...

At least we don't have to wait over the weekend for more OOTS goodness, which are part of a complete breakfast. 8)

Grey Watcher
2006-04-06, 02:24 AM
I laughed a lot.

I also looked around for my trust broadsword until I realized it's use would not get me a new comic...

At least we don't have to wait over the weekend for more OOTS goodness, which are part of a complete breakfast. 8)

Oh, man, you don't want to get the breakfasts involved in this. Those guys are downright ruthless! They come at you outta NOWHERE!

Skyserpent
2006-04-06, 02:28 AM
Hm... let's see...

Pizza was a Fighter, or maybe a Paladin...

Nachos seemed to be a Cleric...

Soy Latte was probably a ranger or a rogue...

On the other side

Popcorn: High Level Wizard?

Soda: Reasonably strong sorcerer

Milk Duds: Mystic Theurge.

landruajm
2006-04-06, 02:29 AM
Dood, that's some sick...uhm, stuff, there. Perfectly entertaining, and it is...refreshing to see that you do not feel constrained by contrived boundaries.

And you invented a new RPG milieu! Profound, brilliant, funny. And above all, entertaining. Tanks.

Aiani
2006-04-06, 02:34 AM
That was so funny. I laughed out loud in front of my coworkers. I think I do that a lot because of Oots. Now I wish there were shirts with the snack gang on them, I think I would have to buy one.

mec
2006-04-06, 02:37 AM
I want to know who wins the ultimate battle - we've still got two people left on each side...

Yeah! Unfortunately, we probably have to wait another 209 panels of filler until the next snackety goodness. :-X

Jaxinator
2006-04-06, 02:42 AM
Heh Looks like this strip hit the spot with just about everyone, Giant.

Also, I see a refreshing lack of nit-pick posts for this one (so far).

koumdros
2006-04-06, 02:44 AM
Ity was err hm... different:p
down with the dominion of Popcorn and the evil refreshments..or whatever :p

koumdros
2006-04-06, 02:49 AM
Milk Duds: Mystic Theurge.

ok, i need to ask..how on earth did you deduce that? :)

Skyserpent
2006-04-06, 02:55 AM
I was waiting till somebody found that odd.

Soda could also be a Psion

Abd al-Azrad
2006-04-06, 02:58 AM
That was weird. Seriously. Nice job.

theKOT
2006-04-06, 02:59 AM
How can Pizza not have fallen for that? He totally picked a fight for no reason with a non-hostile group! I betcha the next strip is pizza falling, and I'll be glad because I'm so sick of that annoying self-righteous *****

Eldhrin
2006-04-06, 03:02 AM
Brilliant! Genius! I've been chuckling for fully ten minutes.

That'll be going in the back pages of book three then?

I reckon you could sell posters of that. I'd buy one!

Jarl
2006-04-06, 03:08 AM
I just realized what this reminds me of!
It's a commercial for starburst, I believe. This guy is with his friend in a parking lot, and he pops one, and says, "Wow, it's like there's a siesta in my mouth!"
Cut to inside his mouth, where there's a mariachi band playing on his molars. Suddenly, the teeth come down, guys are getting crushed, the young bass player (I believe) gets swallowed and the middle aged trumpet(?) player screams in defiance of the cruel god that would take his son(?) from him.

-I'll see if I can find a link to it on the intraweb or something.

Piedmon_Sama
2006-04-06, 03:10 AM
How can Pizza not have fallen for that? He totally picked a fight for no reason with a non-hostile group! I betcha the next strip is pizza falling, and I'll be glad because I'm so sick of that annoying self-righteous *****

Look, you. Being Lawful Good does not equate to 'Lawful Stupid,' although I swear that's what the anti-Pizza faction would have you believe. Pizza is out there on the front lines, day after day, battling the hordes that would annihilate the comforts you take for granted. He doesn't have time to play nice or try to keep from stepping on peoples' toes, OK?

I don't know about you, but I find something a little fishy about the 50-year monopoly Popcorn and his cohorts had on an entire industry. How soon before they turned around and quashed the competition beefore it had a chance? Pre-emptive justice is still justice, and the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence! Go Pizza, Go America, and, um, great job Giant. XD This started as a parody of Miko but I have no idea how it led to me quoting Boondocks.

Jarl
2006-04-06, 03:16 AM
http://starburstfiesta.ytmnd.com/ is the best I can find so far...

-And it's good... and it's "Fiesta", not "Siesta". I feel like a fool.

fwiffo
2006-04-06, 03:17 AM
Aha... This is a new version of the strip, I bet. Order of the Snack.

We got Pizza Slice - a strong and capable fighter.
We got Soy Latte - an arrow wielding rogue
We got Pop Corn - an ancient powerful wizard.
We got Soda - a moral compassionate cleric
We got Nachos - a short ranger with bad attitude
And we got Milk Dudes - a singing bard who seems to push all the wrong buttons of Pizza Slice.

Let's face it - this is pretty much OOTS, just cast with different actors.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-04-06, 03:21 AM
Pizza- a pizza slice with a sword
Nachos- a little plastic basket of nachos
latte- latte with a bow
popcorn- bucket of popcorn who has gained power for many years
soda- powerful soda, i mean, who wouldn't love that?
milkduds- powerful milkduds...albeit low on hitpoints

they're all classes, shh

Jarl
2006-04-06, 03:21 AM
http://www.jengajam.com/r/starburst-fiesta
ENRIQUE!

-¡ ¿ ¡ ¿ ¡ POR QUE ! ? ! ? !

ekedolphin
2006-04-06, 03:33 AM
I'll throw my own two cents in the "That was freakin' brilliant" jar, so now you must have at least $2 in there. Not bad! ;)

Hopefully this'll be in the bonus section at the end of Book 2, because much like OOTS #151, it would feel kinda strange to start a new book with it.

And y'KNOW we gotta have a sequel to this at some point! ;)

Marller
2006-04-06, 03:51 AM
Oh yes, i want blackguard pizza with lot's of pepperoni and chili. ;D

Ryltar_Swordsong
2006-04-06, 03:55 AM
Now that was priceless.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-04-06, 03:57 AM
Good ad for the cinema!

tee_kay_one
2006-04-06, 04:02 AM
Uuuui, this one caught me off guard. Failed my "fall-to-the-floor-laughing" check miserably - in an office surrounding, this can be quite a situation... :-X

Do you all realize what this intermission "thingy" means - the Giant still has A LOT OF FUN making the OotS comics, and that is a good good thing for us readers!

One more thing - this comic again reflects actual roleplaying, doesn't? We used to do PARANOIA sessions as intermissions between story arcs of gritty dark fantasy... man, you just have to pull that trigger sometimes... ;D

EDIT: typo, typo, kill the darned typo

cyper
2006-04-06, 04:07 AM
Just wanted to say...
LOL!!!!

Pure comic genius. When I think it can't be topped, you surprise me again, giant. Way to go! :)

pudgimelon
2006-04-06, 04:22 AM

Giant, you are either a brilliant comic genius, or you take heaping handfuls of drugs before you sit down at your computer.

Either way, GOOD STUFF!

Galathir
2006-04-06, 04:24 AM
Wow. I was totally not expecting that. It was certainly an . . . interesting transition into the next story arc.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-04-06, 04:35 AM
Ahem.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And even though I generally loathe smilies, this strip has earned an XD as well.

Sheer bloody brilliance.

Zann
2006-04-06, 04:46 AM
Now that is a good comic. I haven't laughed like that since #298.

Aidan305
2006-04-06, 04:50 AM
This wasn't inspired by a dream like the fruit pie sorc was it?

Still abrilliant comic though.

U2QueenBee
2006-04-06, 05:03 AM
ROFL!! Not at all what I was expecting, and totally random, but absolutely hilarious!! Refreshing gods...lol. I have to admit, it's popcorn I always get, never pizza (and certainly never soy lattes!)

Poor milk dudes. Hee.

Last_resort_33
2006-04-06, 05:10 AM
;D BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HEEEHEEE HA HAAHAHA ;D....

Hehe

*Snigger Edit: you're not allowed to but Sn ig ger

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ;D

Mute
2006-04-06, 05:14 AM
It's a little known fact that today's strip is actually the third part of the saga. The first two parts were called "The pizza menace" and "Attack of the nachos", the current one is "Revenge of the soy".

The sequel will be "A new Coke", where a small serving of fizzy drink is ordered by Popcorn (who now call himself Obi-pop Cornobi) to find Soda, who has hidden himself from the threat of the Nourishing Fare. Plans are also made for two more parts, "The empire strikes snack" and "Return of the Soda".

Finally Pizza the Hutt makes sense.

Freelance Henchman
2006-04-06, 05:20 AM
It's a little known fact that today's strip is actually the third part of the saga. The first two parts were called "The pizza menace" and "Attack of the nachos", the current one is "Revenge of the soy".

The sequel will be "A new Coke", where a small serving of fizzy drink is ordered by Popcorn (who now call himself Obi-pop Cornobi) to find Soda, who has hidden himself from the threat of the Nourishing Fare. Plans are also made for two more parts, "The empire strikes snack" and "Return of the Soda".

Finally Pizza the Hutt makes sense.

Will they be aided by a rough scoundrel with a golden heart named Hot Salsa and his giant, hairy friend Chewingtobacco?

GnomishSubmarine
2006-04-06, 05:39 AM
That was great. I love intermission jokes. They're almost on par with answering machine jokes.

Unexpected and hilarious.

RemoJr
2006-04-06, 05:43 AM
MMMIIIIIIILLLLLKKKKKKK DDDDUUUUDDDDDEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO, my old movie friend :*(. at least i still have snow caps.

oh, and great comic ;D

Sc00by
2006-04-06, 05:48 AM
Have to confess i was expecting a 'letters' strip or V's contract negotiations, but that... That was so far out of left field it hit me from the right

Got to love random and I love random!

Good stuff.

And Pizza is so totally the MAN for taking out those milk dudes! There's no way hes gonna fall; the chocolate based snacks are so obviously evil! ;)

Piedmon_Sama
2006-04-06, 06:21 AM
;D BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HEEEHEEE HA HAAHAHA ;D....

Hehe

*Snigger Edit: you're not allowed to but Sn ig ger

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ;D

They REALLY ought to do something about that. As it stands, we can't say N-I-G-E-R-I-A or S-N-I-G-G-E-R, and I can't think of a day when I didn't have to list the nations of Sub-Saharan Africa to myself and then have a laugh about it.

Eon_Omega
2006-04-06, 06:30 AM
Can't they ressurect him?
*doesn't get it*
Oh.
Nooooo! Milk Dudes!

Sebastian
2006-04-06, 06:42 AM
LOL Laughed my ass off.

what class is milk dudes? paladin?

Druid, of course. ;)

Blaznak
2006-04-06, 06:54 AM
Ok.... now THAT was funny.

I was thinking an introduction along the lines of "And now for something completely different..."

Later!

Ryngard
2006-04-06, 06:55 AM
Actually Giant, I got quite the kick out of it. :) It was funny as hell. I just wish you could post a new comic a day/hour to fulfill my need for more OoTS! :)

Zann
2006-04-06, 06:57 AM
*sigh* In another life, perhaps... When Rich is replaced by a super-endurant-comedic cyborg.

Vargtass
2006-04-06, 06:58 AM
The really interesting thing is not so much the classes of the characters, but at what plane of existence does this take place? And how do I get there! It's been ages since I went to the movies, so it (they?) could as well be place where snacks go adventuring!

Albion
2006-04-06, 07:00 AM
Am I drunk again?!?!?! ??? Somebody put something in my coffee?

Insane. :o I love it! I think.
Hahaha actually, that sucked! ;D
But I'm glad it's there!!! 8) Happy to see something... fresh.

It was about time for some nonsense - and for a post with too many smileys. Actually, I'm still not sure how to react. WTF?

juanc01
2006-04-06, 07:12 AM
http://www.filmack.com/qttrailers/hi-classiclobbyA.htm

The cartoon that started it all.
Nice Job

Beelzebub1111
2006-04-06, 07:16 AM
I loved this, reminds me of when I went to the movies as a kid...nostalgic in a way...also the second to last pannel reminded me of the title of one El Goonish Shive strip:

"I Learned to Direct at the Lucas School of Drama"

Well, that and Pedro from Excel Saga.

Ikkitosen
2006-04-06, 07:38 AM
So, for a British reader, what the heck are milk duds???

bosssmiley
2006-04-06, 07:44 AM
...and that is another reason that popcorn is evil. ;D

Beelzebub1111
2006-04-06, 07:46 AM
So, for a British reader, what the heck are milk duds???
Milk-Chocolate covered caramel in bite sized portions each one no biger than a time.

I never liked them that much, I'm more of a skittles and starburst person. Too much chocolate makes me sick to my stomach.

It also can be used as a humorous name for a bassiere, think about it

Gunslinger47
2006-04-06, 07:47 AM
Eleven pages of "LOL"? o_0

I found it witty and amusing, but I wasn't peeing myself laughing like the other forum goers apparently were.

Mercutio01
2006-04-06, 07:54 AM
I think that's one of the best comics in awhile, and that's hard to do because so many of the recent ones have been so excellent. Well done, Giant.

GKBeetle
2006-04-06, 07:59 AM
This is the best OOTS Ever!!!!

Okay, maybe not. But I laughed my ass off, so I guess it counts for something. This is exactly the type of humor that I really get a kick out of. Definetly not your worst comic. It's totally random, for sure, but still a great comic. It gets tiring always worrying about plot. This would have been really cool as a double comic with a much longer battle, but oh well. Wow, I'm rambling. Better stop now.

Overlord Jack Chainer
2006-04-06, 08:28 AM
that was halarious in a cheesy kind of way but all in all still funny.

Lets all go to the lobby...hahaha silly singing food i remember back in the day when they did that ahh it brings back memories.

Mr Croup
2006-04-06, 08:36 AM
sweet merciful Buddha, that was amazing.

Ilaun_Undil
2006-04-06, 08:37 AM
That was the saddest comic ever. ohh and BTW how do you get 11 pages on this in only 7.5 hours.
I actually do have a question though, which book will this bee in? The one that just ended or just begun? Also does this mean that OOTS is half way over? or is this more of a Shakespeare tragedy that has 5 acts? So Giant if ya happen to read this Please answere back ;D

Oznstuff
2006-04-06, 08:43 AM
Does anyone remember the Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns was looking for an heir and played a small film at the theatre advertising for one? He was forced to do a "Let's all go to the lobby" song and dance with popcorn and hotdog characters. Obviously these guys before they had their falling out. Imagine the power they had if they could make billionaires dance to their tune...

Wntrrvn
2006-04-06, 08:46 AM
I never really cared for Milk Duds anyway.

chiles
2006-04-06, 08:56 AM
That comic was hilarious. I can now strike off "Watch movie food fight each other to the death" off my life's to-do list! Well done, Giant!

HHLoneWolf
2006-04-06, 09:02 AM
I agree

got a bigger chuckle from that one than most OOTS stuff

which is not by any means to say that the OOTS isn't extremely funny

but as Ned Flanders would say... possibly...if it didn't involve violence and such....

"hey diddly doodly neighbor, that was by golly gosh darn FUNNY"

Zalathar
2006-04-06, 09:15 AM
That was awesome!!! The action, the drama, I loved it. Very funny stuff Rich, well done.

Kanashimi
2006-04-06, 09:28 AM
Brilliant! Genius! I've been chuckling for fully ten minutes.

That'll be going in the back pages of book three then?

I reckon you could sell posters of that. I'd buy one!

Awesome, truly awesome. I'd buy posters too! That would go great in my gaming room!

Best Intermission Comic Ever!

Thank you

Runolfr
2006-04-06, 09:34 AM
That was weird...

fithi
2006-04-06, 09:51 AM
Agreeing with previous posters, this was a great intermission!

I"m seeing a movie tomorrow, and I'm positive that I'll be remembering this comic while I'm watching it.

Well done, Giant!

jmaccabeus
2006-04-06, 09:52 AM
Next time I eat a slice of pizza, I'll think of it as revenge for Milk Dudes.

Samiam303
2006-04-06, 09:55 AM
I love it... Best comic ever. ;)

What's the CR on a box of Milk Duds? :P

watermammal
2006-04-06, 09:56 AM
Rich, you are simply too hard on yourself. I might feel that this is comically one of the most brilliant strips yet! Who else could come up with something like that?! Fantastic job.

watermammal
2006-04-06, 09:58 AM
Dangit,

for the last 30 minutes i have had "let's go out to the lobby..." stuck in my head. Curse you, rich!

TheLastOfTheFallen
2006-04-06, 09:59 AM
Woke up.

Opened GiantITP

Forgot about comic

Re-read it

Fell off my chair laughing. Again. :D This stuff is classic - I want a shirt with this strip on it! (or at least Soda going "NOOOOOOOOOO!" with a caption about the food wars.)

LizTheRogue
2006-04-06, 10:00 AM
LMAO
That was so unexpected, I couldn't believe I was reading OotS! I remember going to the movies as a kid and seeing the singing food, lol.
This was hilarious Rich, I love random acts of being silly, so great job!

...and hey, you actually got me to post! ;)

Gleanerizer
2006-04-06, 10:03 AM
That comic was hilarious. I can now strike off "Watch movie food fight each other to the death" off my life's to-do list! Well done, Giant!
PM ur life's to-do list plz, I wud liek 2C

thx

;)

indianajoe
2006-04-06, 10:07 AM
Wow. I just. Wow. My side hurts from laughing so hard.

GeekDaddy
2006-04-06, 10:10 AM
ROFLMAO!!!!

Actually, I was expecting another installment of "OOTS Answers Your Mail" but this was MUCH better!

Now, where is all the debate as to how these beloved snack foods will be incorporated into the story line later on down the road? :)

General_Ghoul
2006-04-06, 10:10 AM
I notice a lot of comics are posted around 1AM. Seems Rich is watching too much Adult Swim.

The way that the film distribution system in the US is set up, the price of the ticket goes back to the distributor and studio, the theater itself makes it's money from selling concessions, thus they try to make theater snacks as appealing as possible (and infamously expensive, expect to pay roughly 3 to 5 times for anything at a theater than you'd pay anywhere else). Bringing outside food in is prohibited, but sneaking food in is common (to get around the outrageous prices).

Actually, most distributers keep 75% of the ticket price the first two weeks and then less each additional week after that. That's why movie theaters love big blockbusters, like Star Wars< that stay around for a couple of months, they make more money off of the tickets in the latter weeks. Also, summer blockbusters are more popular with theaters since its harder to sneak food in while wearing shorts and a tee shirt as opposed to a heavy jacket.

avalon_redmoon
2006-04-06, 10:13 AM
I am SO glad I wasn't sipping my morning coffee while reading that one...

...'cause it would have come right out my nose! :o LOL! I'm still laughing over that one!

Very cute intermission. Very funny ;D A wonderful start to my day!

Sir_Leorik
2006-04-06, 10:26 AM
Hilarious, simply hilarious! Great job Giant!

cruciare
2006-04-06, 10:31 AM
Ok Giant - that was rather funny and bizare in a great way :)

"We are like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"

~THAT is a nice line :)

As for intermission - I hope we see more than 300 more OOTS strips - but if not, all good things come to an end :)

Starla
2006-04-06, 10:32 AM
Also, summer blockbusters are more popular with theaters since its harder to sneak food in while wearing shorts and a tee shirt as opposed to a heavy jacket.

Actually I freeze in the stupid airconditioned rooms if I don't wear a jacket and long pants. Remember Titanic? We watched it around Christmas time and I was sooo cold I thought they where trying to make us feel like we were in the movie. I don't think movie theaters have warm air at all.

oowatie
2006-04-06, 10:36 AM
Amazing comic, Mr. Giant, and a refreshing break.

And I do mean "refreshing" in the godly sense. Love that popcorn!

ObadiahtheSlim
2006-04-06, 10:50 AM
*sniff* I always loved milk duds. All that carmel and choclaty goodness.

Rest in peace milk duds
YOU SHALL BE AVENGED!

WampaX
2006-04-06, 10:51 AM
On the ecology of the "more nourishing fare"

They had been sold at drive-ins for many years prior to their appearence in enclosed theatres. I believe they were displaced by development, having their once spacious open air theatres paved over to create roads and office space for the encrouching humans.

They did not adapt well to their new environs and chose to go about things the way they always had. They maintainted their more millitant attitudes toward society tempered by the years spent in their outdoorsy, barbarian enclaves. This would ultimately be their undoing and downfall.

Enslaved by the "refreshing Gods," they bide their time and wait for the chance to strike back at them and once more gain their freedom.

Oh, and I lol-ed just from seeing the opening song panel. ;D

Yahoo_Serious
2006-04-06, 10:54 AM
You pick the box up and make sword-fighting noises. The Milk Duds *rattle* as you shake its box around. Within moments, the Milk Duds have vanquished every imaginary opponent you have against it.

You shake it again and make cheering noises. Hordes of imaginary creatures from across the Planes cheer the Milk Duds' victory. You can almost see a chocolate tear brimming on its logo... it is a hero, the greatest Milk Duds ever to roam the Planes, and everyone loves it. In your mind, the Popcorn and Coke hug it and shower it with kisses.

Valdis22
2006-04-06, 11:01 AM
LOL....the new comic definitely has a "Monty Python-esque" flavor to it.

Kudos to Giant for showing that, indeed, anything can be addapted to the RPG genre.

on a side note: I'm wondering who would win a battle between Goobers and Twizler. Twizler would definately have a reach advantage, but Goobers has a high natural AC.....

Zarbi
2006-04-06, 11:09 AM
I always enjoy the comic. I must say tho, this issue will be one of my favorites for some time! I love the old movie snack ad that you are parodying. And so to then see the snacks step out of their "expected behavior" as it were and attack the "modern" lobby snacks is great!

<side comment>
What is the big deal over being on the first page?
</side comment>

TinSoldier
2006-04-06, 11:13 AM
<side comment>
What is the big deal over being on the first page?
</side comment>I find it prestigious trying to get first post or first page. Even before the Giant chided people on it I didn't think posting just "w00t first page" or similar was proper. The post should have some content in it.

This time, as before, I refreshed the comics forum and noticed The Giant had posted a new comic. I quickly replied to say I was going to go read it to save my spot. Then I read it and edited the original post. Someone else beat me to the first post, though.

Anyway, the fame is short lived because after the thread gets longer than 4-5 pages, no one reads the first page anymore. :(

Shakalooloo_Doom
2006-04-06, 11:15 AM
Now, where is all the debate as to how these beloved snack foods will be incorporated into the story line later on down the road? :)

They will appear to seek vengeance for the death of Fruit Pie the Sorcerer, their beloved mentor.

Forderz
2006-04-06, 11:19 AM
Ba da da doo dee da, dee dee da do ba bah!

Zantetsuken_Kokoro
2006-04-06, 11:20 AM
This is the best one ever!

Temptyn
2006-04-06, 11:22 AM
Hilarious!

Aidan305
2006-04-06, 11:23 AM
Someone needs to turn this into a flash film. Just so that those of us who use computers in our gaming sessions have something to put on during breaks.

GreyRat
2006-04-06, 11:25 AM
Definately high on the 'WTF' factor. And now I have the 'refreshment refrain' stuck in my head. Thanks, Giant, you're worse than Elan. :P
;D

chibibar
2006-04-06, 11:27 AM
Everytime I go to the movies and see the "refreshment ads" I will think of this.

Very funny.. love it!

Eternal-Darthness
2006-04-06, 11:31 AM
Speaking as the only person on this board I'm aware of with a militant food avie... :D

Milk dudes needed to die to advance the plot. His cousin Whoopers will avenge his death in one of the most stunning cinematic vengeances in the history of food fights.

Priceless_Ming
2006-04-06, 11:32 AM
Man, what is it with this guy and dying delectable victuals?

Ah, well. It's too bad Milk Duds ate it. Milk Duds and the a Gallon of Sprite is my favorite movie side dish. Pizza can rot in Hell!

Fantastic, non sequitor (sp.) as always.

Voshkod
2006-04-06, 11:38 AM
Absolutely brilliant. Not much more to say, except well done.

Freeman333
2006-04-06, 11:39 AM
PM ur life's to-do list plz, I wud liek 2C

thx

;)

Things to do before I die. (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=4&issue=3) (Be sure to hover your cursor over the image to see the alt.text and read the first three items on the list.)

Anyway, back to the comic.

Well, that was definitely a comic. All the drama and action of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies, with none of the Orlando Bloom. Well done. Now, if the Giant wouldn't mind, he could please stop posting comics that make me hungry more than two hours before my lunch time. I mean, come on. Jeeze. Let's take it easy on my appetite, here. I'm only one man--I can only eat so much.

Zora
2006-04-06, 11:40 AM
Long time reader, first time poster.

Have to say I nearly wet myself reading #301!

Great job!

jmucchiello
2006-04-06, 11:51 AM
Please tell me that 301 is actually the last comic in the next book. It will make no sense starting the following book.

I want more. Didn't pizza realize he should only have picked on the less desirable popcorn WITHOUT butter? Lower CR and all.

I assume pretzels didn't appear because he was tied up.

Er... Gah! Look what you've done to me, Giant!!!!!

somatic
2006-04-06, 11:55 AM
That was hi-larious :D

clight101
2006-04-06, 12:00 PM
This is my first post and I have to say I don't understand how you could think that might have been the worst comic ever. As soon as I finished reading it I was thinking "If only Gone with the Wind had an intermission like that I wouldn't of almost shot myself when forced to watch it with my wife". In other words nice job Giant but if you follow it up with another intermission comic I might have to say it's the worst comic ever and shoot myself.

Gary_Schaper
2006-04-06, 12:06 PM
Worst comic ever? Giant, you're going to have people making death threats when you don't make this into a spinoff strip.

Starbuck_II
2006-04-06, 12:08 PM
Awesome!

I'd like to point out it's pretty wicked that Pizza was a badass fighter.
I agree, but I never noticed pizza at my theatres.

The Nachos were good as was the Popcorn: get a large and free refills. Same with Drink.

Milk dudes...we knew thee well..

snelson66
2006-04-06, 12:14 PM
Worst comic ever? Giant, you're going to have people making death threats when you don't make this into a spinoff strip.
The Order of the Snacks? I would want to see this. Nice work, Giant.

sniffles
2006-04-06, 12:14 PM
OMG!! That was hysterical! One of the best ever, Giant. :D :D :D

Darkstrider
2006-04-06, 12:29 PM
Nice job Rich. keep up the good work ;)

-Johnny A.

thequeenmac
2006-04-06, 12:39 PM
i also saw vader....heh. poor milk dudes. they are my fav. now i have to get some when i go to the movies next time. stupid pizza noone eats them at the movies anyway. hehehehehe ::)

Gleanerizer
2006-04-06, 12:43 PM
Things to do before I die. (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=4&issue=3) (Be sure to hover your cursor over the image to see the alt.text and read the first three items on the list.)

Oh man, that's one of my favorite Dr. McNinja pages.

Back to #301--can anyone pin down the "like unto... gods" reference? I'm racking my brains, I know I heard/read that phrase SOMEWHERE, but I'm drawing a blank.

Squall83
2006-04-06, 12:45 PM
I hope the intermission doesn't indicate that we're half way through with OOTS. T_T That would mean only a mere 100 weeks of new Comics. ;)

Well, it was kind of funny, but there were funnier comics. I think it could have been way better but sometimes you just need some not-so-funny-comics to keep the funny ones funny.

Miles Invictus
2006-04-06, 12:50 PM
I like it. The best kind of humor, after all, is the kind where your first reaction is "???".

hornma
2006-04-06, 12:51 PM
I have never tried to read before whilst snorting a soy latte out my nose. I have to say it does cut down on the enjoyment.

But with some conveniently located paper towels, it was once again the funniest thing I've read in a while.

NameChanged
2006-04-06, 01:06 PM
"We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"

Classic!

Couldn't have been better. :D

BigT
2006-04-06, 01:20 PM
An excellent comic, funny, original, and from right out of left field.
I don't know if it's your best but it made me laugh out loud.

cruciare
2006-04-06, 01:21 PM
FOOD FIGHT!

Animal House anyone?

Arakune
2006-04-06, 01:22 PM
best filler comic ever! so funy XD

Laughs.. a big one
Just got out from a movie
But I'm afraid to say that I just got half of the joke, in Brazil we dont have Milky Dudes, but it must be just a snack right ?
What's going to happen with The order??? DUN DUN DUN

i don't like to eat popcorn, but before the movie and after i like to eat some "pão de queijo", or something like cheese-made-bread, with some milk coffe (or cofee, right?).

but pizza are more suited with your friends and a DVD.

Sol
2006-04-06, 01:26 PM
Milk Duds! (http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/milkduds.asp)

Giant, I love OOtS, don't get me wrong, but honestly, this is the funniest strip you have ever done. In a large part because of how random and unexpected it is.

I loved it.

Sylvius
2006-04-06, 01:27 PM
Back to #301--can anyone pin down the "like unto... gods" reference? I'm racking my brains, I know I heard/read that phrase SOMEWHERE, but I'm drawing a blank.

I want to say that Yul Brynner says it in The Ten Commandments.

I think Rich changed the jingle lyrics for legal reasons, too. As I know it, it's:

Let's all go to the lobby!
Let's all go to the lobby!
Let's all go to the lobby -
and get ourselves a treat!

Tariskat
2006-04-06, 01:29 PM
I'll have to agree with most of yous guys. At first I thought "Oh no! No oots?!" And then I read it. And I thought I would die laughing for about half a minute. **Sighs in contentment**
Now has anyone else thought of Elan, using his fun little apparitions trick, making a snack theater for his own amusement, humming that tune the whole time?

camelman
2006-04-06, 01:34 PM
I don't know which is more wrong, the Socerer's fruit pies thing or this one. Both were pretty funny though.

Sylvius
2006-04-06, 01:42 PM
Fruit Pie the Sorcerer was actually inserted into the plot. This was at least an overt intermission.

They're both very funny.

Zaruthustran
2006-04-06, 01:46 PM
Intermission = TOTALLY AWESOME

Amaroq
2006-04-06, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I'm still laughing... and I've scrolled through a bunch of pages of discussion since the comic.

Of course, I didn't get much sleep last night... ;)

SabreGuy
2006-04-06, 02:05 PM
I don't know why, but it struck me as really funny that the traditional movie snacks were all casters, and the newer foods were all armed with fightery weapons. (Edited to say: Just goes to prove that casters are useless without a meat-shield!) ;)

And I'm glad pizza got himself a kill, seeing as pizza IS my favorite food.

GM_West
2006-04-06, 02:13 PM
I'll never look at my yummy movie popcorn the same after this...

And does anyone else find it annoying that the employees now actually 'deliver' the pizza into the theaters? I dunno... sorta takes all the fun out of the whole 'balancing' game that is required of all movie-goers. Especially those with kids!

Bucket of popcorn finely balanced under one arm, while that same hand holds a tray with two sodas and a nachos, while the OTHER hand holds another tray with another two sodas, two hotdogs, some candy...

Yeah, you get the idea...

Brother_Hood
2006-04-06, 02:14 PM
Loved it. :)

saraswati
2006-04-06, 02:20 PM
Once again OOTS has caused me to fake a fit of coughing at my desk at work in order to cover up illicit laughter. Woot!

I'm covering up my mouth right now to hide the incessant giggling caused by the mere memory of "like unto tiny refreshing GODS!". Beautiful!

Also, Giant appears to have inspired the Grey Watcher to coin the phrase "hot snack-on-snack action." which also cracks me the hell up!

I'm totally dying to find out what happens next in the OOTS plot, 'specially after the great Xykon army buildup of the last pages. But #301 completely took me by suprise and made me forget all about my overwhelming jones for new OOTS storyline.

.... At least until now. Hey! What happens next?
<chases after the Giant with a plush toy mace> Hey! Where's my story! You killed Milk Dudes! You bastard!

<chases Giant off screen swearing eternal revenge for our great caramel hero>

burns1gn
2006-04-06, 02:37 PM
Indeed, it may no longer be safe to read oots at work.

The part that has me writing in,though: "We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"
-Gary

celticdeltic
2006-04-06, 02:39 PM
Nooo. But which is the best food?

brinoch
2006-04-06, 02:49 PM
Bwahahahaha! You're a sick, sick man, Giant.

And we love you for it. Great comic; I totally enjoyed the change of pace. :)

Voshkod
2006-04-06, 03:00 PM
Strip 301 got some nice recognition from WebSnark.

http://www.websnark.com/

Justinian
2006-04-06, 03:15 PM
This is nearly as demented as Fruit Pie the Sorcerer.

Nearly, because at least this was an aside, and that was a plot point.

Nasrudith
2006-04-06, 03:23 PM
Brilliant Rich, just Brilliant. Snack food melodrama.

Fishies
2006-04-06, 03:29 PM
I have that "Let's all go to the lobby!" song stuck in my head now.

androgial
2006-04-06, 03:40 PM
its the intermission here we go
the intermission what a show
we're on a mission to make you laugh........

xyzchyx
2006-04-06, 03:48 PM
LOL....the new comic definitely has a "Monty Python-esque" flavor to it.

I think it was established sometime previously (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=136) that Rich had an appreciation for Monty Python.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-04-06, 03:48 PM

Really? Same here. Good one Giant. Wasn't expecting anythink like that. ;D

phoenixineohp
2006-04-06, 03:49 PM
Your insane!

But then again, so am I.

And I think this one has to be one of my all time favs.

Utterly nuts. And delicious!

Terrafire
2006-04-06, 03:58 PM
no, no, I must say, that sucked. I love you anyway, though, Giant. O_O

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-04-06, 04:35 PM
That was amazing. Especially the "last wish" :P

DragoonStar47
2006-04-06, 04:40 PM
great comic, would love to have the popcorn when he was glowing and had glowy eyes as my avatar!

HHLoneWolf
2006-04-06, 04:41 PM
^^^ definitely a member of the Pro-Nachos movement

hmm, the Pro-Milk Dud movement is dead

I think I'll join the Pro-Soda movement, let's start a refreshment war on the boards

;)

skaven13
2006-04-06, 04:46 PM

I just sent this to my friend at work. All of her co-workers thought it was great, but cursed me for getting that song stuck in their heads too. :D

Maybe we'll get to see pizza fighting flumphs in the background for the upcoming war....

Skaven13

Arkadian
2006-04-06, 04:54 PM

Bwahahaha! "WTF-o-meter"...hope you don't mind if I beligerently plagerize that...hehe

by the by...Rich...stick figure diversity...i loved the intermission.... I correct my last statement about you watching too much tv as a kid...Not only am I convinced you watched too much tv as a kid...its a good bet you spent most of your allowance as a kid on the movies! ;D your mind is truly warped....I bow in your presence.

humanpylon
2006-04-06, 05:17 PM
You pick the box up and make sword-fighting noises. The Milk Duds *rattle* as you shake its box around. Within moments, the Milk Duds have vanquished every imaginary opponent you have against it.

You shake it again and make cheering noises. Hordes of imaginary creatures from across the Planes cheer the Milk Duds' victory. You can almost see a chocolate tear brimming on its logo... it is a hero, the greatest Milk Duds ever to roam the Planes, and everyone loves it. In your mind, the Popcorn and Coke hug it and shower it with kisses.

Thats the modron toy speach from Planescape Torment isn't it? One of the best computer rpg's ever!