View Full Version : Best Third Party Books for Pathfinder.

thelastorphan
2019-03-21, 11:35 PM
Looking for best third party PF1 supplements. Other than the Ultimate Psionics and Path of War lines.

Any suggestions?

ngilop
2019-03-21, 11:52 PM
Looking for best third party PF1 supplements. Other than the Ultimate Psionics and Path of War lines.

Any suggestions?

Radiance House is good with their pact magic https://www.opengamingstore.com/collections/radiance-house

Legendary games is cool with their mythic additions and starfinder stuff. https://www.opengamingstore.com/collections/legendary-games

Rogue Genius Games is nice with their #1 with a bullet feats also the horrifically overpowered feats (note: only the caster ones are overpowered, the mundane/martial ones are crap like pf does to most mundane martials)
https://www.opengamingstore.com/collections/rogue-genius-games

Thealtruistorc
2019-03-21, 11:58 PM
I feel a little guilty advertising City of Seven Seraphs given that I was a contributor, but it is an absolutely phenomenal book.

That said, these are probably my favorites that I've bought over the years.

Akashic Mysteries
Spheres of Power line
Spheres of Might line
Legendary Games' Mythic line
Legendary Games' class reworks (Magus, Shifter, and Samurai in particular)
Aethra Campaign Setting
Bloodlines and Black Magic

peacenlove
2019-03-22, 01:11 AM
Radiance Grimoire of lost souls is also good and you can base entire campaigns from it.

Legendary Games Gothic campaign compendium is good if you want to give that horror element to your games.

Path of Shadows has Nightblade, a very well designed and versatile caster/rogue hybrid.

Deep magic from kobold press expands on magic if you are bored of Pathfinder's one or 2 sources of magic. 1001 spells is also interesting for a read and ideas.

Tome of horrors complete has lots of critters. Pathfinder bestiaries have better designed ones as a rule but you can fall back to ToH:C for that nostalgia kick.

Deluxe guide to Summoning of fiends from Necromancers of the Northwest treats fiend summoning on an interesting angle.

I am waiting for the Hardback of City of 7 Seraphs but from the alpha documents I can already tell its one of the best and weird campaign settings out there.

digiman619
2019-03-22, 04:45 AM
First things first, If I didn't second the suggestions of Spheres of Power and Spheres of Might, it would probably be a sign that my account got hacked, as I absolutely adore those systems and am currently GMing 2 SoM/SoP games, and I don't even like GMing.

Likewise, the Grimoire of Lost Souls has a lot of good stuff, though I'd suggest learning some of the vestiges spirits via level-up rather than just research because most games don't have the downtime to support that

Alluria Publishing's Cerulean Sea Undersea Camapiagn setting has a ton of good rules to make an underwater campaign viable.

Interjection Games' Strange Magic has three new subsystems, one of which is a remake of the Ttuenamer (with middling results, but the other two systems are really good to and just okay. Like the original Tome of Magic!)

Everyman Games' The Skill Challenge Handbook comes with RPG reviewer Enzietgeist gave it his highest praise, going as far as to say "THIS IS PERHAPS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULEBOOK I HAVE READ IN YEARS. Perhaps, it is even the most important 3pp-PFRPG book – period." (emphasis his). He even went to say "This should have been Core. Seriously. If I had to choose one 3pp-book to add to PFRPG’s core-rules, this would be it." and "This book is fantastic, a one-of-a-kind masterpiece that is supreme, no matter the scale you apply: If I had 10 stars, this would be 10 out of 10 and I’d complain about not being able to award it 11." So yeah, I think he liked it.

Mehangel
2019-03-22, 07:27 AM
Spheres of Power (and their handbook series) (by Drop Dead Studios)
Spheres of Might (by Drop Dead Studios)
Champions of the Spheres (by Drop Dead Studios)
Legendary X (where X is the name of the Core Pathfinder class. For example: Legendary Gunslingers) (by Legendary Games)
Skill Challenge Handbook (by Everyman Gaming)
Ultimate Charisma (by Everyman Gaming)
Akashik Mysteries (by Dreamscarred Press)
Grimoire of Lost Souls (by Radiant House)

JoshuaZ
2019-03-22, 07:51 AM
There have been a lot of good suggestions, so I'll just mention one more Kobold Press's "Deep Magic" is excellent. There are some slight balance issues with some spells, but most of it is well balanced, really flavorful and fun options and lots of campaign hooks.

ThatMoonGuy
2019-03-22, 07:58 AM
Honestly, anything by DDS, DSP and Legendary Games is a great addition. I've been using the first two for a year or two now and just recently got into Legendary Games mats. I do have a few issues with how packed a few of their class rebuilds few by, hey, they actually managed to make the Samurai a decent class!

Besides that, I do like some of the New Paths stuff by Kobold Press, with classes like the Theurge and Priest. Nothing game changing like Spheres but fun to have, nonetheless. Their adventures are pretty cool too, if you're looking into that.

thelastorphan
2019-03-22, 09:08 AM
These are some great suggestions. Thanks folks.

Ssalarn
2019-03-22, 10:16 AM
Oh man, that warm fuzzy feeling when you see people recommend a bunch of stuff you've written or worked on :)

Other books I'd recommend that haven't been mentioned yet:

Liber Influxus Communis by Amora Games- This has a bunch of new classes, many of them written by Paizo employees, Paizo freelancers, and/or writers who are really backbones of the 3pp community. (I also worked on this.)

Cerulean Seas Campaign Setting by Alluria Publishing- I own this entire product line in print, and it's definitely a personal favorite for underwater adventuring and amazing races.

Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters by Northwinter Press- This is basically Pokemon for Pathfinder, and I love it.

Classes of the Lost Spheres: The Zodiac- This is another one I wrote, and it's a companion book to both City of 7 Seraphs and Akashic Mysteries, though you don't need either to use it. It's a class that can summon constellations in the form of armor, equipment, weapons, or even champions who fight on the zodiac's behalf. The art is great and I like it a lot.

Razor Coast by Frog God Games- It's a big sandbox for pirate adventures, and if that's your thing it's a book worth owning.

Obsidian Apocalypse by LPJ Design- It's kind of a mishmash campaign setting with elements of numerous post-apocalyptic settings like Darksiders, The Walking Dead, and more. It's a setting for playing in a world that's basically over and forgotten by the gods, but where the remnants of the mortal races, broken angels, and even devilspawn are all fighting to survive against overwhelming odds. It has like a dozen different ways to structure the setting, depending on whether you want the world to have ended due to alien/supernatural plagues, undead hordes, Hell literally smashing into the planet like a meteor, etc.

Palanan
2019-03-22, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by peacenlove
Deep magic from kobold press expands on magic….

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
…Kobold Press's "Deep Magic" is excellent.

If you buy one third-party book, buy this one. It’s phenomenal and superbly done, and I especially valued it when I was playing a magus.

gorfnab
2019-03-22, 08:38 PM
Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters by Northwinter Press- This is basically Pokemon for Pathfinder, and I love it.

On that line, Ponyfinder by Silver Games is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for Pathfinder.

Powerdork
2019-03-23, 03:00 AM
On that line, Ponyfinder by Silver Games is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for Pathfinder.

David Silver has been very firm about how his creative vision for Ponyfinder is not directly emulating That Show. Hence the lack of adjustments to core game mechanics to make innate magic (no components) a thing. Hence the lack of naturally grippy hooves. Hence the giant ponies that sometimes exist alongside the little ones.

Ellrin
2019-03-23, 03:16 AM
One book that often gets left out when discussing Dreamscarred Press is Unfettered Dreams: Malefex, which is really a shame. It’s not introducing any new systems like most of the rest of DSP’s work, but the malefex is a really interesting class.