PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What does Detect Poison actually detect?

NRSASD
2019-03-22, 12:05 AM
We ran into an interesting conundrum in our D&D game. What does detect poison actually detect?
Something poisonous and placed with malicious intent?
What about paint thinner; i.e. something poisonous that isn't being used as a poison?
What about something mildly hallucinogenic?
Or something that's poisonous but is traditionally ignored as a poison (i.e. lead)?

How would you rule on this?

ShikomeKidoMi
2019-03-22, 12:07 AM
We ran into an interesting conundrum in our D&D game. What does detect poison actually detect?

Anything that does poison damage.

holywhippet
2019-03-22, 12:17 AM
Anything that does poison damage.

Not all poisons inflict damage. It would need to be anything that does poison damage or inflicts the poisoned condition.

DarkKnightJin
2019-03-22, 01:10 AM
Not all poisons inflict damage. It would need to be anything that does poison damage or inflicts the poisoned condition.

I'd agree with this.
Find Traps specifically calls out the malicious intent, I believe. (And you don't learn WHERE, just that they're around. Making it strictly worse than a Rogue checking for traps..)

I don't have Detect Poison where I can check the wording, but unless it specifies malicious intent.. I'd let it detect anything that would deal Poison damage and/or inflict the Poisoned condition.

StoicLeaf
2019-03-22, 03:09 AM
I really, really, REALLY hate this spell.
Because ultimately, anything you put into your body that affects its operation is a poison.
The spell is so incredibly vague that making it work in game without either the DM or the players going "but wait a minute" is frustratingly difficult.