PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Holy Symbols

Goblin_Priest
2019-03-22, 06:40 AM
Just occurred to me that none of these vampire clerics should be able to cast their spells, because they don't have holy symbols of Hel!

Guess we'll just be handwaving that away, now, though. :P

Fyraltari
2019-03-22, 06:47 AM
The Church of Hel seems holy the first thing a Cleric wears around their neck.
Prove otherwise (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1017.html).

factotum
2019-03-22, 07:26 AM
I just read the Cleric description on the SRD and it didn't specify clerics need their holy symbol to cast spells, just to turn/rebuke undead?

The Pilgrim
2019-03-22, 07:41 AM
The Holy Symbol is only really needed to turn/rebuke undead.
Hel is an evil deity and thus grats rebuke undead to her clerics.
All clerics of Hel are undead, as Hel can't make clerics among the living.

Therefore, Hel doesn't gives a Holy Symbol to her clerics, to prevent them from going blind for bolstering themselves (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0873.html).

Mad Humanist
2019-03-22, 08:00 AM
The Holy Symbol is only really needed to turn/rebuke undead.
Hel is an evil deity and thus grats rebuke undead to her clerics.
All clerics of Hel are undead, as Hel can't make clerics among the living.

Therefore, Hel doesn't gives a Holy Symbol to her clerics, to prevent them from going blind for bolstering themselves (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0873.html).

Who would have guessed that Tarquin had such a dirty mind?

Goblin_Priest
2019-03-22, 08:01 AM
I just read the Cleric description on the SRD and it didn't specify clerics need their holy symbol to cast spells, just to turn/rebuke undead?

Most cleric spells require the "divine focus".

Divine Focus (DF)

A divine focus component is an item of spiritual significance. The divine focus for a cleric or a paladin is a holy symbol appropriate to the character’s faith.

If the Components line includes F/DF or M/DF, the arcane version of the spell has a focus component or a material component (the abbreviation before the slash) and the divine version has a divine focus component (the abbreviation after the slash).

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-03-22, 09:08 AM

Indeed. On the other hand, it is usually easy to desecrate a holy symbol of another religion to make it acceptable to your own. Usually, by breaking it or defiling it or both - say, take Thor's symbol, brake off half the hammer head, drop a few vampire blood drops, now it is a holy symbol that Hel I'm sure will find acceptable.

Grey Wolf

woweedd
2019-03-22, 09:57 AM
Who would have guessed that Tarquin had such a dirty mind?
...Please tell me that’s sarcasm.

factotum
2019-03-22, 10:11 AM

Ah, OK, I missed that bit.

Having said that--all the vampires we're currently seeing are ex-members of the Cult of Stone, right? Since they didn't have a deity, would they have had a holy symbol to start with? And I guess it's up to Hel what makes a valid divine symbol for her worship--maybe she considers the vampiric body itself to be a sign of faith!

Fyraltari
2019-03-22, 10:17 AM
Blue robed Vampire’s host served Thor. And if the Creed of the Stone did not require a holy symbol I wonder why each of its member carries a lump of rock as a necklace.

Kish
2019-03-22, 10:22 AM
Regardless of deity or lack thereof, no one can cast a spell that requires a divine focus without a divine focus.

(Note that some spells require a divine focus for one class but not for another--notably when they're on both the cleric and wizard/sorcerer lists--but no spell requires a divine focus for one cleric but not another.)

hamishspence
2019-03-22, 10:25 AM
Complete Champion had a cantrip (orison) that allows a cleric to summon up a divine focus- presumably for these sorts of situations.

Aveline
2019-03-22, 10:31 AM
For me as a non-player, this clarifies why Redcloak took the time to go get his backup holy symbol in the obviously-urgent situation of O-Chul and Darth V in the tower.

Mad Humanist
2019-03-22, 11:37 AM
...Please tell me that’s sarcasm.

Actually I am not surprised that Tarquin thinks about sex a lot. However I did think he was too clever and sophisticated to make such a crude joke. I really should put this in the things I didn't notice but it sort of feels like I did not legitimately discover it.

Also if this digression from the OP's original question continues, then "Holy Symbol" will start to become a euphemism.

Aveline
2019-03-22, 11:47 AM
Elan's interpretation of a holy symbol: (image link) (http://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/image/MMGS7/AAX-Aero-Crash-Cymbal-18-in/H81530000003000-00-500x500.jpg)

Kish
2019-03-22, 11:50 AM
However I did think he was too clever and sophisticated to make such a crude joke.
He had to be interrupted to stop him from commenting directly on his son's girlfriend's breasts immediately after he was introduced.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-03-22, 12:03 PM
He had to be interrupted to stop him from commenting directly on his son's girlfriend's breasts immediately after he was introduced.

Not to mention the alacrity with which he adopts "wash the gorilla" or something along those lines as an euphemism for sex.

Grey Wolf

D.One
2019-03-22, 12:27 PM
Since Hel can only have undead clerics, her holy symbol will always be an undead (i.e. a darkened, desecrated) version of the symbol its cleric used in life.

Goblin_Priest
2019-03-22, 12:44 PM
On second though, countering myself, I'm now not convinced that they have actually cast any spells that do require a divine focus. Symbol of Death doesn't. Dispel Magic doesn't. I can't recall off the top of my head all of the spells the vampire clerics used.

Oh wait, Durkon used Righteous Might, right? That needs a DF.

Indeed. On the other hand, it is usually easy to desecrate a holy symbol of another religion to make it acceptable to your own. Usually, by breaking it or defiling it or both - say, take Thor's symbol, brake off half the hammer head, drop a few vampire blood drops, now it is a holy symbol that Hel I'm sure will find acceptable.

Grey Wolf

Hard to say how things are ruled in the OotS-verse, but personally I'd rule against that in my games. A holy symbol, to me, should be specific to the god granting the powers, and not just a desecration of an opponent's symbol. It's more about representing the god specifically than pleasing him, and there's nothing about a descecrated rock that screams "Hel".

woweedd
2019-03-22, 01:28 PM
Not to mention the alacrity with which he adopts "wash the gorilla" or something along those lines as an euphemism for sex.

Grey Wolf

Also, he’s a rapist.

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-03-22, 01:30 PM
Hard to say how things are ruled in the OotS-verse, but personally I'd rule against that in my games. A holy symbol, to me, should be specific to the god granting the powers, and not just a desecration of an opponent's symbol. It's more about representing the god specifically than pleasing him, and there's nothing about a descecrated rock that screams "Hel".

Note that all clerics of thor-turned-vampire-thralls have a black gem in their holy symbol, as opposed to the blue ones that Minrah, Tinna, Rogo, High Priestess Rubyrock, and Brother Sandstone use.

They're desecrated for hel, thanks to their dark energy and servitude to her (Durkon's immediately changed back when he was turned, and as it seems to be, the other clerics' did as well).

Presumably, the rocks that the Creed Of Stone vampire clerics use are similarly corrupted. This is why there's no question of their former gods/rocks of worship stopping to decide to not give them spells for the day.

The holy symbol is the link between the cleric and the god- So in lieu of having to go grab half a dozen Hel-specific symbols (uncommon, considering no one really worships her), her vampires instantly change their (gem)stone to be corrupted in her name.

It's representing her in the way that in corrupting the clerics' holy symbols symbolizes her gaining power over all as she welcomes in all the dwarf souls to power her throughout the next world's tenure.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-03-22, 01:35 PM
Also, he’s a rapist.

Well, yes, but while "classy" and "rapist" are not mutually exclusive categories, they are also not particularly correlated. He is also a murderer, after all. And a massive egomaniacal, self-interested, egotistic, egoistic, selfish, self-seeking, self-regarding, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-loving, narcissistic, vain, conceited, proud, self-important a-hole. All of which can include both classy and crude individuals.

Grey Wolf

Rogar Demonblud
2019-03-22, 01:50 PM
I think the phrase you're looking for is "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot".

Fyraltari
2019-03-22, 02:04 PM
Well, yes, but while "classy" and "rapist" are not mutually exclusive categories, they are also not particularly correlated. He is also a murderer, after all. And a massive egomaniacal, self-interested, egotistic, egoistic, selfish, self-seeking, self-regarding, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-loving, narcissistic, vain, conceited, proud, self-important a-hole. All of which can include both classy and crude individuals.

Grey Wolf

And he never once reported to the Redudancy Bureau of Redudancy, the fiend!

D.One
2019-03-22, 03:11 PM

Grey Wolf

And now I'm thinking of some of those RPG systens, like Numenera, where adjectives define some of the character's statistics.

Peelee
2019-03-22, 03:26 PM
He had to be interrupted to stop him from commenting directly on his son's girlfriend's breasts immediately after he was introduced.Not to mention the alacrity with which he adopts "wash the gorilla" or something along those lines as an euphemism for sex.

Grey WolfAnd don't forget calling a succubus a booby trap (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0858.html) or reminiscing about his sexploits in the middle of a battle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0862.html).

Mordar
2019-03-22, 06:43 PM

Grey Wolf

You forgot "...with delusions of grandeur" on the list.

- M

ijuinkun
2019-03-24, 05:26 AM
Actually I am not surprised that Tarquin thinks about sex a lot.

Also, given that several of his many wives seemed to have been political nobodies, he probably married them for the sex rather than for politics or money.

KorvinStarmast
2019-03-25, 09:30 AM
And now I'm thinking of some of those RPG systens, like Numenera, where adjectives define some of the character's statistics. Yeah, I did as well.

And don't forget calling a succubus a booby trap (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0858.html) or reminiscing about his sexploits in the middle of a battle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0862.html). Who could ever forget about giving their pet orangutang a bath (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0740.html)?
Also, given that several of his many wives seemed to have been political nobodies, he probably married them for the sex rather than for politics or money. I am bleeding due to how hard I have to bite my tongue to avoid an RL politics observation. Not your fault. *heads off to get alcohol, swabs, and such*

JeenLeen
2019-03-27, 03:37 PM
On topic: I think a good point about the holy symbols, but probably (as noted) easy to desecrate one. I can also see an evil god accepting other holy symbols as part of their own, when twisted against the original cleric, sorta like a trickster god's cleric might use another god's to deceive about who they really serve. Not sure on the RAW for a given setting for those things, but seems cool and decent for the comic.

I think the phrase you're looking for is "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot".

Has he displayed hypocrisy?

He seems pretty straight-forward in his exploits, when not actively deceiving the country he's currently serving (well, controlling and pretending to serve) or conquering. While I suppose that is hypocrisy in the sense of pretending to be a servant while actually being the ruler, he's fairly straight about what he's doing to folk who matter narratively (which, to him, is folk who matter.)

Rogar Demonblud
2019-03-27, 04:33 PM
He's also a hypocrite when he talks about being a good father, an acceptable marriage match or even a decent human being.

Also, I'm sad you don't recognize the movie quote. That was a groundbreakingly successful female-led film, dammit.

Peelee
2019-03-27, 04:42 PM
He's also a hypocrite when he talks about being a good father, an acceptable marriage match or even a decent human being.

Also, I'm sad you don't recognize the movie quote. That was a groundbreakingly successful female-led film, dammit.

Which movie?

Kish
2019-03-27, 09:58 PM
Has he displayed hypocrisy?
Google the phrase Rogar used.

Which movie?
9 to 5.

Mightymosy
2019-03-28, 02:16 AM
And don't forget calling a succubus a booby trap (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0858.html) or reminiscing about his sexploits in the middle of a battle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0862.html).

Oh, another Tarquin thread, yay! Haven't had one of those in a while!

Anyone can explain the "sexploit" here? I don't get it.

(also the booby trap one was hilarious, I'll have to give credit. It's exactly what Succubusses are: they trap you with showing sexy boobies and eat you *ugh* :-( )

Fyraltari
2019-03-28, 02:55 AM
Oh, another Tarquin thread, yay! Haven't had one of those in a while!

Anyone can explain the "sexploit" here? I don't get it.

(also the booby trap one was hilarious, I'll have to give credit. It's exactly what Succubusses are: they trap you with showing sexy boobies and eat you *ugh* :-( )

What do you think happened that evening? Or do you want precisions on what the drow thought Tarquin asked for?

Mightymosy
2019-03-28, 04:10 AM
What do you think happened that evening? Or do you want precisions on what the drow thought Tarquin asked for?

I am not that good with euphemisms, especially not english ones.

I thought Tarquin intended to ask for drinking water, and got oral sex.
Correct or not?

Fyraltari
2019-03-28, 04:13 AM
I am not that good with euphemisms, especially not english ones.

I thought Tarquin intended to ask for drinking water, and got oral sex.
Correct or not?

Sounds about right.

Mightymosy
2019-03-28, 09:19 AM
Then I don't understand what the "exploit" part is.
Given that he didn't even want sex and got it, it doesn't sound like involuntary sex to me at all, Tarquin or no Tarquin....

Isn't exploit when you force someone to give you something they don't want to, or some kind of abuse?

hroþila
2019-03-28, 09:30 AM
No, an exploit is like an adventure. Don't confuse the noun with the verb.

edit:

exploit
noun [ C usually plural ] UK ​ /ˈek.splɔɪt/ US ​ /ˈek.splɔɪt/

something unusual, brave, or funny that someone has done:

She was telling me about her exploits while travelling around Africa.

Synonym
feat

Fyraltari
2019-03-28, 09:35 AM
You are thinking of ‘‘exploitation’’.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-03-28, 10:16 AM
No, an exploit is like an adventure. Don't confuse the noun with the verb.

::ahem::

Bloody English language.

Mightymosy: yeah, I suspect you are thinking of the verb "to exploit" - i.e. to take advantage of. Sexploit is a portmanteau of sex and the noun exploit, which means, as hrothila says, more like "adventure" or "romp". When pronounced out loud, they sound differently - /EXploit/ (noun) vs /exPLOIT/ (verb).

I can see now why you were confused, I didn't even think you might be getting them confused, or I would've explained sooner.

Sorry 'bout that.

Grey Wolf

Mightymosy
2019-03-28, 11:35 AM
Sorry about not knowing that, but that is bloody english language! How can two words with the exact same letters mean different things???
How does a verb not mean the same as a noun?
Especially in such a sensitive matter like (involuntary) sex I would prefer clear language. :-/

Well, at least I understood the scene right!
In honesty, it took me a while to get the booby trap joke, though..

Basically, the trap was obvious for the trap, and the boobies were obvious for Sabine - but the trap part didn't make sense for me with Sabine and the booby part did't make sense for the traps in the pyramid.
Then I understood that booby trap was just some term, and still didn't get the trap part on Sabine - I thought it was just a very immature gag on the word boobies. But since a succubus is LITERALLY a sex trap, now I find the joke reaally clever =)

Peelee
2019-03-28, 12:16 PM
Sorry about not knowing that, but that is bloody english language! How can two words with the exact same letters mean different things???

Welcome to English, where the words are made up and the rules don't matter.

I like "auto-antonyms," but "Janus words (https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/words-own-opposites)" is also popular.

Fyraltari
2019-03-28, 12:43 PM
::ahem::

Bloody English language.

Mightymosy: yeah, I suspect you are thinking of the verb "to exploit" - i.e. to take advantage of. Sexploit is a portmanteau of sex and the noun exploit, which means, as hrothila says, more like "adventure" or "romp". When pronounced out loud, they sound differently - /EXploit/ (noun) vs /exPLOIT/ (verb).

I can see now why you were confused, I didn't even think you might be getting them confused, or I would've explained sooner.

Sorry 'bout that.

Grey Wolf
Actually this one is on us French, I think. See the noun ‘‘exploit’’ also exists in French, as well as the verb ‘‘exploiter’’ (same meaning in both cases, I suspect loanwords) whose root is ‘‘exploit-’’ however there can be no confusion as there are no conjugation of "exploiter" which sounds like "exploit" (the t is silent in French).

How does a verb not mean the same as a noun?
Especially in such a sensitive matter like (involuntary) sex I would prefer clear language. :-/
We have homonyms (words that sound the same) like ‘‘je suis’’ (I am, final s silent) and ‘‘je suit’’ (I follow, the t is... take a guess) and we have homographs (words that are spelled the same) like ‘‘tour’’ which means both tower and turn. Note that since French pronunciation has actual rules and the stress is always at the end of the word, every homograph is also an homonym (unless you count ‘‘maïs’’, corn, and ‘‘mais’’, but).
We have a lot of those in French, it’s fun.

Welcome to English, where the words are made up and the rules don't matter.

I like "auto-antonyms," but "Janus words (https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/words-own-opposites)" is also popular.
Never heard of those. I like Janus word but auto-antonym would mean a word which means both one thing and its opposite so that’s narrower. It exists though like the verb ‘‘to rent’’.

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-03-28, 12:48 PM
Looks at thread title: Holy Symbols (subject has been resolved for a week)
Looks at the majority of the subject: Tarquin's sexism
Looks at the current topic: Etymology and Definitions of the word "Exploit"
I ain't no staff but if you guys are passionate about this topic you should make a new thread

Fyraltari
2019-03-28, 12:54 PM
Looks at thread title: Holy Symbols (subject has been resolved for a week)
Looks at the majority of the subject: Tarquin's sexism
Looks at the current topic: Etymology and Definitions of the word "Exploit"
I ain't no staff but if you guys are passionate about this topic you should make a new thread
This is not how we do things around these parts.

Aveline
2019-03-28, 01:10 PM
My two cents: as well as having the sense of a whimsical adventure, "exploit" (noun, emphasis on ex) is common gamer slang for an unintended feature due to e.g. glitches or design errors. Super Smash Bros Melee and Dark Souls (the first) are largely characterized by exploits, for example. (Dark Souls netplay is, unfortunately, extremely degenerate due to exploits.)

Oh, and in a colloquial, sexual context, "trap" can also be a slur for "transgender person", which is hardly a stretch to apply to Sabine. I know that's not what Rich meant at all and I doubt the possibility even crossed his mind but still, it just tastes bad.

Edit: "Right, well, all the more so then."

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-03-28, 01:11 PM
Actually this one is on us French I think. See the noun ‘‘exploit’’ also exists in French, as well as the verb ‘‘exploiter’’ (same meaning in both cases, I suspect loanwords) whose root is ‘‘exploit-’’ however there can be no confusion as there are no conjugation of exploiter which sounds like exploit (the t is silent in French).

Nah, mate. Blame for English is not transitive. It's their own damn fault for pillaging languages with abandon. Especially when you essentially say "they got it from French, but in French there is no confusion". Well, Bloody English could damn well stolen the bit that fixes the issue.:smalltongue:

Grey Wolf

Fyraltari
2019-03-28, 01:22 PM
Nah, mate. Blame for English is not transitive. It's their own damn fault for pillaging languages with abandon. Especially when you essentially say "they got it from French, but in French there is no confusion". Well, Bloody English could damn well stolen the bit that fixes the issue.:smalltongue:

Grey Wolf

Well, one can hardly blame them for getting conquered.

Borris
2019-03-28, 03:21 PM
We have homonyms (words that sound the same) like ‘‘je suis’’ (I am, final s silent) and ‘‘je suit’’ (I follow, the t is... take a guess).

Actually, "I am" and "I follow" are both spelled as "Je suis", making them both homographs and homonyms. No first-person singular verb ever ends in t.

Peelee
2019-03-28, 04:06 PM
Je suis Napoleon! Ha ha, naw, it's me, Bender!

Fyraltari
2019-03-28, 05:28 PM
Actually, "I am" and "I follow" are both spelled as "Je suis", making them both homographs and homonyms. No first-person singular verb ever ends in t.

My face is red right now. My only defense (and it's a poor one) was that I was thinking about the "cogito ergo sum"/Usually, you are the one who thinks and I am the one who follows pun" from Astérix Légionnaire, but Obélix was using third person for that one.

Edit: okay homonyms: verre (glass), vert (green), ver (worm) and vers (toward/verse).

Mightymosy
2019-03-29, 02:07 AM
But at least in French the words with different meaning are SPELLED differently, no?

Fyraltari
2019-03-29, 02:11 AM
But at least in French the words with different meaning are SPELLED differently, no?

Not necessarily.

hroþila
2019-03-29, 04:35 AM
Yeah, every language has that. English is not *that* special.

factotum
2019-03-29, 06:07 AM
Yeah, every language has that. English is not *that* special.

It probably does happen a bit more often in English than most languages because of the sheer number of different sources we have for words, though.

Borris
2019-03-29, 02:07 PM
From a francophone's perspective, I'd say the worst part about English is that you often read a word without having any idea how to pronounce it.

How come dead rhymes with lead and read, but not with read and lead?

Peelee
2019-03-29, 02:21 PM
From a francophone's perspective, I'd say the worst part about English is that you often read a word without having any idea how to pronounce it.

How come dead rhymes with lead and read, but not with read and lead?

Sometimes there are clues. Polish and polish, for example, doing sound alone and have entirely different definitions, but that's clear from just looking at them.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-03-29, 02:27 PM
Sometimes there are clues. Polish and polish, for example, doing sound alone and have entirely different definitions, but that's clear from just looking at them.

Polish, you mean? Hard to tell, the clues seem to depend on where the word is in the sentence.

I spent years thinking that "chaos" and "keos" where two synonyms for disorder, because I heard the latter a lot in conversation, but only ever found the former in writing, and I couldn't imagine they were one and the same.

Grey Wolf

Peelee
2019-03-29, 03:39 PM
Polish, you mean? Hard to tell, the clues seem to depend on where the word is in the sentence.

Grey Wolf

Yes, shame it just happened to be at the beginning of a new sentence. :smallamused:

KrankenWagon
2019-03-29, 05:05 PM

Grey Wolf

Hey, it was you french who forced your language on us. 1066 worst year of my life.

Fyraltari
2019-03-29, 05:12 PM
These aren’t pronounced the same?

Hey, it was you french who forced your language on us. 1066 worst year of my life.
Grey Wolf isn’t French.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-03-29, 05:14 PM
No. Polish as in nationality is Poh-lish, polish as in cleaning agent is pah-lish.

Peelee
2019-03-29, 05:26 PM
It is, to the best of my knowledge, the only case in English sheet capitalization changes pronunciation (so long as you avoid beginning of sentence capitalization shenanigans). But yeah, if you polish your Polish sword, then you pronounce 'em different.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-03-29, 07:35 PM
These aren’t pronounced the same?
Nope. Polish is "Poulish" while polish is "pohlish".

Bloody English language.

(I probably should officially declare that my catch phrase in the appropriate thread)

Grey Wolf isn’t French.
I will neither confirm nor deny my nationality. Or that I even have one.

Grey Wolf

Peelee
2019-03-29, 07:41 PM
I will neither confirm nor deny my nationality. Or that I even have one.

Grey Wolf

While I'm all on board with the former, I'm going to go ahead and assume you have a nationality. If only because I've read way too many Sovereign Citizens asking about how to abdicate their citizenship without obtaining another one, which by every rational account is just the worst idea ever.

factotum
2019-03-30, 12:06 AM
Maybe he considers himself a citizen of Bir Tawil, that bit of land between Egypt and Sudan which is claimed by neither and is thus the only piece of land on the planet (apart from Antarctica) not claimed by any country?

Mightymosy
2019-03-30, 02:38 AM
Errrmmm......look at his name and his picture:
He is obviously a lone wolf, belonging to no pack, much less to any nation ;-)

Borris
2019-03-30, 11:16 AM
Errrmmm......look at his name and his picture:
He is obviously a lone wolf, belonging to no pack, much less to any nation ;-)

Are you saying he's a...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0891/8314/products/One_Man_Wolf_Pac_4fedd297eae50_large.jpeg?v=145906 7282

KillianHawkeye
2019-04-14, 02:08 PM

Tell that to the racer who came in second because he finished one second late. I once had a witch try to entrance me down by the building's entrance. I went fishing and caught a big bass while playing bass guitar. I once had a garbage man refuse to empty my refuse bins. When my friend tried to pay for my dinner, I tried to object, but he told me that money was no object. Seeing all the new content in my news feed makes me feel very content. Now wipe away your tears while you repair the tears in this clothing, and pick up the down pillow from down on the ground while I go get some ground beef. Watch out for the wind while I wind up this clock. And fine tune the settings on that machine while I examine the fine edge of this fine looking knife. Oops, I forgot to pay the fine for my speeding tickets.

Now I'll tie this ribbon in a bow while I go take a bow at the bow of the ship. :smallbiggrin:

Aveline
2019-04-14, 03:47 PM
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Mad Humanist
2019-04-14, 04:14 PM
Maybe he considers himself a citizen of Bir Tawil, that bit of land between Egypt and Sudan which is claimed by neither and is thus the only piece of land on the planet (apart from Antarctica) not claimed by any country?

Arguably not correct. There are about 7 km2 not claimed by either Serbia or Croatia. However someone has tried to set up a new state called Liberland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberland) in the area.

Squire Doodad
2019-04-14, 05:57 PM
Arguably not correct. There are about 7 km2 not claimed by either Serbia or Croatia. However someone has tried to set up a new state called Liberland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberland) in the area.

They should name it New Nuevoland. Sounds like it'd be a nice name.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-04-22, 06:34 AM
What if... ...vampire teeth were their holy symbol?