PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Warlock/Conquest Paladin/Bard?/Sorcerer? BBEG

Anderlith
2019-03-22, 12:42 PM
What’s the best blend of levels & subclasses for a character using all the Cha Casters? I’m trying to make a cult leader/Thulsa Doom type conqueror.

My thoughts are
Conquest Paladin 7
Hexblade 3-4
Not sure which subclasses or level mix would be best with Bard & Sorcerer

Galithar
2019-03-22, 12:55 PM
If it's for the BBEG the best blend is not using player character levels and instead designing them as an NPC. I would find the abilities of each class that you think make a good cult leader and then just give him all of those. Regardless of level. If you like the level 17 feature but the level 5 feature gives him power, but not thematically, then just don't give him that power.

Anderlith
2019-03-22, 01:04 PM
Nah this would be a PC in my brothers Midnight style game

Galithar
2019-03-22, 01:10 PM
Nah this would be a PC in my brothers Midnight style game

Well then having BBEG in the title of the thread is misleading :P

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-22, 01:13 PM
My recommendation would probably be:

Bard 3, for Whispers.
Sorcerer 3, for Shadow and being able to see through your own Darkness
Warlock 3, to fuel spell slots for Shadow Sorcerer.
Paladin for all remaining levels.

With the Whispers damage and Divine Smite, you're talking 16 bonus damage after a confirmed hit.

Anderlith
2019-03-22, 01:25 PM
Well then having BBEG in the title of the thread is misleading :P

My mistake. A BBEG in the making, he has aspirations.

My recommendation would probably be:

Bard 3, for Whispers.
Sorcerer 3, for Shadow and being able to see through your own Darkness
Warlock 3, to fuel spell slots for Shadow Sorcerer.
Paladin for all remaining levels.

With the Whispers damage and Divine Smite, you're talking 16 bonus damage after a confirmed hit.

Not to mention Eldritch Smites.
I was actually leaning Glamour Bard for the otherworldly appearance & Command

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-22, 01:28 PM
My mistake. A BBEG in the making, he has aspirations.

Not to mention Eldritch Smites.
I was actually leaning Glamour Bard for the otherworldly appearance & Command

While the RP benefits of the Glamour Bard do sound nice, you'll be very hard pressed to find uses for your Bardic Inspiration if you don't rely on allies. If you do rely on allies, it'd be a bit odd to use support effects as a BBEG. I suppose you could just reflavor everything as some sort of Command effect.

"Do not fail me" (Gives +1d8 on their next check, out of fear).
"Yes, Lord Vader!"

Anderlith
2019-03-22, 01:56 PM
While the RP benefits of the Glamour Bard do sound nice, you'll be very hard pressed to find uses for your Bardic Inspiration if you don't rely on allies. If you do rely on allies, it'd be a bit odd to use support effects as a BBEG. I suppose you could just reflavor everything as some sort of Command effect.

"Do not fail me" (Gives +1d8 on their next check, out of fear).
"Yes, Lord Vader!"

Motivation through fear. Join me & I’ll give you power. What would be a good level to get off the Bard train? 3-4? 6?

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-22, 02:00 PM
Motivation through fear. Join me & I’ll give you power. What would be a good level to get off the Bard train? 3-4? 6?

Level 5 is enough. That grants you level 2 spell slots, and refreshing your Bardic Inspiration on a Short Rest. After that is...Countercharm, which won't do much unless you want it for narrative reasons (Damnit, you fools. Don't fear them, fear ME!)

Anderlith
2019-03-22, 02:16 PM
Level 5 is enough. That grants you level 2 spell slots, and refreshing your Bardic Inspiration on a Short Rest. After that is...Countercharm, which won't do much unless you want it for narrative reasons (Damnit, you fools. Don't fear them, fear ME!)

Level Six gives me Mantle of Majesty where I get Command as a bonus action every turn. I could tell them all to Kneel or Grovel & such. Paired with the Aura of Fear reducing movement to zero & such. I could make an entire force to prone & fear me until no one could even stand up from prone

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-22, 02:33 PM
Level Six gives me Mantle of Majesty where I get Command as a bonus action every turn. I could tell them all to Kneel or Grovel & such. Paired with the Aura of Fear reducing movement to zero & such. I could make an entire force to prone & fear me until no one could even stand up from prone

I forgot about that.

You'll want to be careful, though, It's starting to get expensive. Even if you consider the minimum for this combo, which is Paladin 7, Bard 6, you're talking about a level 13 character, with not many levels left for Warlock and Sorcerer.

Anderlith
2019-03-22, 03:32 PM
I forgot about that.

You'll want to be careful, though, It's starting to get expensive. Even if you consider the minimum for this combo, which is Paladin 7, Bard 6, you're talking about a level 13 character, with not many levels left for Warlock and Sorcerer.

Yikes, you’re right.
Paladin 7
Hexblade 5
Bard 6
Sorc 2? Not sure if Sorc is even worth the points here

Galithar
2019-03-22, 04:11 PM
Yikes, you’re right.
Paladin 7
Hexblade 5
Bard 6
Sorc 2? Not sure if Sorc is even worth the points here

Sorcerer as a dip usually isn't worth it. Unless there is a specific subclass ability that you want. But the only good one I can think of that's really is for Shadow, which you can duplicate (and for the most part improve) with Warlock Invocations.

Anderlith
2019-03-22, 04:32 PM
Sorcerer as a dip usually isn't worth it. Unless there is a specific subclass ability that you want. But the only good one I can think of that's really is for Shadow, which you can duplicate (and for the most part improve) with Warlock Invocations.

I think I’ll go
HalfElf Noble
Conquest 7
Hexblade 7
Glamour 6

This will give me three ASI’s one to max my Cha, & GWF, idk about the third feat.

Four Invocations, Devils Sight, Eldritch Smite, Grasp of Hadar & idk the fourth

Start Paladin, immediately switch to Warlock to level 3, finish out Paladin, then finish up Warlock & go Bard or vice versa.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-22, 04:35 PM
I think I’ll go
HalfElf Noble
Conquest 7
Hexblade 7
Glamour 6

This will give me three ASI’s one to max my Cha, & GWF, idk about the third feat.

Four Invocations, Devils Sight, Eldritch Smite, Grasp of Hadar & idk the fourth

Start Paladin, immediately switch to Warlock to level 3, finish out Paladin, then finish up Warlock & go Bard or vice versa.

So something like:

Paladin 1
Paladin 2
Warlock 1
Warlock 2
Warlock 3
Paladin 3
Paladin 4
Paladin 5
Paladin 6
Paladin 7
Warlock 4
Bard 1
Bard 2
Bard 3
Bard 4

I'd probably fit in 1 level of Bard after you hit Warlock 3. This allows you to have level 1 spell slots to fuel Shield.