PDA

View Full Version : [Any] How do you scratch the itch between sessions?

genderlich
2019-03-22, 03:14 PM
My GM went on vacation so we're missing two sessions that we would normally have. In the meantime I've theorycrafted a backup character and done a little work on my campaign setting (though I have a fair bout of writer's block lately), but it hasn't been enough. Single player roleplaying video games never really hold my attention either. What can I do to scratch that roleplaying itch on my own?

Koo Rehtorb
2019-03-22, 03:17 PM
Have a backup game you can run as a stand in.

Friv
2019-03-22, 03:44 PM
I like to have a small stack of one-shot RPGs like "One Last Job", "Fiasco", or "Heroine" around for people to play if our GM is absent for a week. But honestly, I'm usually the GM so that doesn't work out so great...

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-22, 03:52 PM
My GM went on vacation so we're missing two sessions that we would normally have. In the meantime I've theorycrafted a backup character and done a little work on my campaign setting (though I have a fair bout of writer's block lately), but it hasn't been enough. Single player roleplaying video games never really hold my attention either. What can I do to scratch that roleplaying itch on my own?

Talk with the DM about when these moments come up, and ask if he's ever against players describing moments in between adventures. As in, describing to each other about how you talk about your past, or your habits. Maybe someone asks the Rogue why he likes to cook all the time.

Sometimes, we feel like we don't have time for small talk in the session, because we all want to be heroes and we don't want to slow it down in any way, so try and flesh those things out when you can't adventure.

doctor doughnut
2019-03-22, 04:05 PM
Play a game online.

NRSASD
2019-03-22, 04:51 PM
We do in-character chats between characters via email. We get to flesh out our characters without bogging down the game session, and it's a lot of fun!

The Insanity
2019-03-22, 08:50 PM
I have a girlfriend for that.

geppetto
2019-03-22, 11:31 PM
Extra time with the SO is good. Other then that theres always a netflix binge. In between campaigns last time I watched "penny dreadful", surprisingly good and scratched the fantasy itch.

Particle_Man
2019-03-22, 11:56 PM
[Solo] Obsessive character generation, far more than I will ever play.

[Group] Card/Board games.

LordEntrails
2019-03-23, 12:07 AM
Well, if your itch isn't scratched by April 12th, sign up for a game for FG Con https://www.fg-con.com/

CombatBunny
2019-03-25, 02:06 PM
I enter RPG forums, read new threads and try to post interesting ones or try to participate on them. I'm not kidding, that's the reason I'm commenting here, I also have a great itch, because my current GM cancels very often and when he doesn’t, his sessions are unbearably boring.

martixy
2019-03-25, 02:17 PM
Ask your DM what you can do to help him. :)

Cliff Sedge
2019-03-25, 08:57 PM
I write. A lot.
I write adventure story lines; do world-building. I make up NPCs or traps/monster encounters. I play hypothetical role-playing scenarios in my head - what if this character does this? What if they don't take the bait? Etc.

I also watch a lot of D&D themed YouTube videos. Most are all 5e (ick), but I ignore the rules details and focus on story plots, PC party tactics, role-playing tips, etc.

And I come chat with you guys about the game in various ways. There are a lot of ways to enjoy the game: being with a group of friends at a table and taking turns rolling dice is certainly the best, but for me, I get a lot of enjoyment just thinking about the game, especially after putting those thoughts on paper and creating new games to play later.

Lunali
2019-03-25, 09:24 PM
While at work I listen to podcasts of other people playing and think about how my character would deal with the situation. If my current character doesn't fit the world or system I make up one that I would play in that world/system (usually not a complete character, just an outline) and think about how they would deal with it.