PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Consecrate Weapon spell for clerics

monyarm
2019-03-22, 03:15 PM
Consecrate Weapon
3rd Level Enchantment/Transmutation (Not sure which)
Casting Time: 4 hours
Components: V, S, M (Holy Symbol; Chalks, inks infused with 50gp gems, which the spell consumes; Herbs, oils, and incense worth at least 1,000 gp, which the spell consumes; Holy Water, which the spell consumes)
Duration: 3 days
Classes: Cleric, Paladin

You choose a weapon which for the duration of the spell deals an additional 1d4 radiant damage, 2d4 to undead and fiends.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level, the damage die becomes a d6. At 5th level, it becomes a d8. At 6th level, the duration increases to a week. At 7th level the damage die becomes a d10, and at 8th level the damage die becomes a d12. At 9th level the effect is permanent.

I feel i've either made it too powerful or not powerful enough, i'm open to any and all constructive criticism. What i'm trying to create is a spell to consecrate and temporarily make it holy.

Garfunion
2019-03-22, 03:48 PM
This doesn’t look like a 5e d&d spell. It looks more like you are trying to make a magic item.

However, you should look at the spell Divine Favor. It is a War cleric and paladin spell.

monyarm
2019-03-22, 04:04 PM
This doesn’t look like a 5e d&d spell. It looks more like you are trying to make a magic item.

However, you should look at the spell Divine Favor. It is a War cleric and paladin spell.

The idea i had was a spell to allow a cleric to temporarily consecrate a weapon and make it magic. Looking at Divine Favor, it's not bad, but i'm looking to make something that would last longer, and would be able to consecrate more than just the cleric's weapon (basically any weapon, including those of other players).

Garfunion
2019-03-22, 04:16 PM
The idea i had was a spell to allow a cleric to temporarily consecrate a weapon and make it magic. Looking at Divine Favor, it's not bad, but i'm looking to make something that would last longer, and would be able to consecrate more than just the cleric's weapon (basically any weapon, including those of other players).
(Cracks knuckles)

Consecrate Weapon
2nd-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M(A flask of holy water, which the spell consumes)

Duration: 8 hours

Your prayer empowers one weapon you touch with divine radiance. Until the spell ends, the weapon deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage on a hit or 2d4 radiant damage if the creature is an undead or fiend.

monyarm
2019-03-22, 04:28 PM
(Cracks knuckles)

Consecrate Weapon
2nd-level transmutation (ritual)
Casting Time: 1 action

Your prayer empowers one weapon you touch with divine radiance. Until the spell ends, the weapon deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage on a hit or 2d4 radiant damage if the creature is an undead or fiend.

That looks great, do you think the at higher level section i made would work well with this, or would it be too powerful with it ?

Garfunion
2019-03-22, 04:33 PM
That looks great, do you think the at higher level section i made would work well with this, or would it be too powerful with it ?
It would be to powerful in the hands of someone who can attack multiple times.

I’m already thinking of removing the ritual tag and increase the cast time to one minute. With the spell I created.

monyarm
2019-03-22, 04:38 PM
I'd make the casting time very long, cause i was thinking it would be something to be use outside of combat to prepare for battle.

Galithar
2019-03-22, 04:38 PM
It would be to powerful in the hands of someone who can attack multiple times.

I’m already thinking of removing the ritual tag and increase the cast time to one minute. With the spell I created.

I agree with removing the ritual tag, otherwise it's an always on spell that becomes a Cleric must have in my opinion. I would say upcasting could allow it to effect multiple weapons instead of just the one?

monyarm
2019-03-22, 04:43 PM
How this for a version that's a mix of the one i made and the one Garfunion made

Consecrate Weapon
3rd level Transmutation
Casting time: 1 hour
Components: V, S, M (A flask of holy water, which the spell consumes)

Your prayer empowers one weapon you touch with divine radiance. Until the spell ends, the weapon deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage on a hit if the creature is an undead or fiend.
At higher levels
4th Level: d6 die; 12 hour duration
5th Level: d6 die; 24 hour duration
6th Level: d8 die; 32 hour duration
7th Level: d8 die; 48 hour duration
8th Level: d10 die; 64 hour duration
9th Level: d12 die; 72 hour duration

I feel like i'm making the high levels too weak for their spell slots levels. And feal like i should make it a bit more powerful but more expensive, thoughts ?

Garfunion
2019-03-22, 04:44 PM
I'd make the casting time very long, cause i was thinking it would be something to be use outside of combat to prepare for battle.
You do not need the cast time to be very long. One minute works as an out of combat preparation.

I agree with removing the ritual tag, otherwise it's an always on spell that becomes a Cleric must have in my opinion. I would say upcasting could allow it to effect multiple weapons instead of just the one?
Removed ritual tag and increased cast time to one minute.

Adding upcasting for multiple weapons could work.

monyarm
2019-03-22, 04:47 PM
My reasoning for having it be much more than a minute is to have it be something the cleric can do instead of resting, as well as for roleplay purposes.

Garfunion
2019-03-22, 04:48 PM
How this for a version that's a mix of the one i made and the one Garfunion made

Consecrate Weapon
3rd level Transmutation
Casting time: 1 hour
Components: V, S, M (A flask of holy water, which the spell consumes)

Your prayer empowers one weapon you touch with divine radiance. Until the spell ends, the weapon deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage on a hit if the creature is an undead or fiend.
At higher levels
4th Level: d6 die; 12 hour duration
5th Level: d6 die; 24 hour duration
6th Level: d8 die; 32 hour duration
7th Level: d8 die; 48 hour duration
8th Level: d10 die; 64 hour duration
9th Level: d12 die; 72 hour duration

I feel like i'm making the high levels too weak for their spell slots levels. And feal like i should make it a bit more powerful but more expensive, thoughts ?

Spells just don’t work like that. If you increase duration you’ll probably have to add concentration to it. And again increasing damage will only make someone who has extra attack be more powerful.

monyarm
2019-03-22, 04:56 PM
Oh ya concentration that's something i forgot about, ya that's something that this needs. And the damage, i could make the increase much smaller, and make the spell more expensive. Hmm, how about this:

Consecrate Weapon
3rd level Transmutation
Casting time: Conc. 1 hour
Components: V, S, M (A flask of holy water, which the spell consumes; Insense worth at least 500gp, which the spell consumes)

Your prayer empowers one weapon you touch with divine radiance. Until the spell ends, the weapon deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage on a hit if the creature is an undead or fiend. A weapon may only be consecrated once at a time.

At higher levels
4th Level: d4 die; 12 hour duration
5th Level: d4 die; 24 hour duration
6th Level: d4 die; 32 hour duration
7th Level: d4 die; 48 hour duration
8th Level: d6 die; 64 hour duration
9th Level: d6 die; 72 hour duration

Garfunion
2019-03-22, 05:04 PM
Oh ya concentration that's something i forgot about, ya that's something that this needs. And the damage, i could make the increase much smaller, and make the spell more expensive. Hmm, how about this:

Consecrate Weapon
3rd level Transmutation
Casting time: Conc. 1 hour
Components: V, S, M (A flask of holy water, which the spell consumes; Insense worth at least 500gp, which the spell consumes)

At higher levels
4th Level: d4 die; 12 hour duration
5th Level: d4 die; 24 hour duration
6th Level: d6 die; 32 hour duration
7th Level: d6 die; 48 hour duration
8th Level: d6 die; 64 hour duration
9th Level: d8 die; 72 hour duration

Concentration goes down into the duration section. And I also have not seen concentration spell go beyond 24 hours do to you loose concentration when you take a long rest.
My version of the spell also allows you to add other weapon spell effects like Elemental Weapon or even Divine Favor spell.

monyarm
2019-03-22, 05:08 PM
Oh that's what you meant, ya that wouldn't work with my idea. Basically what i want this spell to be is a ritual (not the D&D kind of ritual), that makes a weapon holy for a limited time, it's supposed to be something that the cleric will have to get expensive materials and prepare it before a large fight against undead/fiends.

Garfunion
2019-03-22, 05:12 PM
Oh that's what you meant, ya that wouldn't work with my idea. Basically what i want this spell to be is a ritual (not the D&D kind of ritual), that makes a weapon holy for a limited time, it's supposed to be something that the cleric will have to get expensive materials and prepare it before a large fight against undead/fiends.
I know what you want but you won’t be able to have it as a balanced spell. What I have provided is the closest you are going to get. Anymore will become annoying and or too powerful.

monyarm
2019-03-22, 05:22 PM
How's this, it's your version with just a few tiny tweaks

Consecrate Weapon
2nd-level transmutation
Casting Time: 10 minutes

Your prayer empowers one weapon you touch with divine radiance. Until the spell ends, the weapon deal an extra 1 radiant damage on hit or an extra 2d4 radiant damage on a hit if the creature is an undead or fiend. A weapon may only have this effect once at a time. If the weapon is sentient and evil this spell has no effect on it.

Garfunion
2019-03-22, 05:38 PM
How's this, it's your version with just a few tiny tweaks

Consecrate Weapon
2nd-level transmutation
Casting Time: 30 minutes

Your prayer empowers one weapon you touch with divine radiance. Until the spell ends, the weapon deal an extra 2d4 radiant damage on a hit if the creature is an undead or fiend. A weapon may only have this effect once at a time. If the weapon is sentient and evil this spell has no effect on it.

30 minute cast time is annoying, especially if you want to use it to help your allies. One minute is more than enough to represent a prayer ritual, that you perform before combat.

Having a spell that only deals damage to X creature is bad. Normally there’s a universal effect(damage) and then bonus damage to X creature.

Why do you need the duration to be so long? Eight hours is more than enough time to do combat. If you are a divine soul sorcerer you can Metamagic it up to 16 hours.

monyarm
2019-03-22, 05:46 PM
The reason for the cast time is an in universe reason, it would take more than just a minute for a cleric to do the necessary ritual to consecrate a weapon. I guess i could put it down to 10 minutes, but less than that and it just seems ridiculous to me that he'd be able to do it so quickly. Only thing that worries me is that the cleric could just take 2 ingame hours before the next area to cast it 12 times, basically making the whole parties weapons holy.

The fact that it only deals to fiends and undead is cause it was specifically created for a campaign that has lots of undead (CoS). Also it makes sense that something holy in nature would damage fiends/undead. But i guess i could make it have a small effect on normal cratures like dealing 1 extra damage to them. But then it would be one 2nd level spell slot to turn a weapon into a +1 weapon for 8 hours, which i'm not so sure about.

One more (possible) idea, have it turn the weapon damage into radiant, and add extra radiant damage when attacking fiends/undead.
As for the duration, i've edited my comment and removed the at higher level stuff entirely.

Also sorry if i'm being obnoxious/annoying about having it my way, this is my first time creating a homebrew spell.

Garfunion
2019-03-22, 06:47 PM
One more try.

Consecrate Weapon
1st-level transmutation

Your prayer empowers one weapon you touch with divine radiance. Until the spell ends, the weapon deals an extra 2d4 radiant damage to any fiend or undead creature hit by the weapon.

monyarm
2019-03-22, 07:04 PM
One more try.

Consecrate Weapon
1st-level transmutation

Your prayer empowers one weapon you touch with divine radiance. Until the spell ends, the weapon deals an extra 2d4 radiant damage to any fiend or undead creature hit by the weapon.

Perfect, only thing i'd add is "A weapon may only be affected by this spell once at a time." (not sure about the wording, but basically something to stop multiple clerics casting this on the same sword). I'm going to bed now, so goodnight.

Garfunion
2019-03-22, 07:08 PM
Perfect, only thing i'd add is "A weapon may only be affected by this spell once at a time." (not sure about the wording, but basically something to stop multiple clerics casting this on the same sword). I'm going to bed now, so goodnight.

Magic effects already do not stack as per the rules. Goodnight