PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Your Favorite Non Repetitive Class / Builds

Orc_Lord
2019-03-22, 03:30 PM
Lately I have been feeling like a lot of classes are super repetitive during combat. I am not sure if this comes from playing the game for 23 years or because I am playing a Sorlock ("I eldritch blast")

I see it with Barbarians and Rangers all the time. "I attack".

So I have been thinking, what is a class or build (in case it's a multiclass or archetype) that has the most variance battle to battle, turn to turn.

Some thoughts of mine are Wizards and Land Druids. Rangers/Sorcs don't have enough spells and they kind of get pigeonholed to a few spells.

Another thought I had was a Thief Rogue/Battlemaster Fighter for I steal your equipment shenanigans, along with Cunning Action in general and the ability to control the battle field.

Do you have a favorite class that fits the bill?

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-22, 03:38 PM
Lately I have been feeling like a lot of classes are super repetitive during combat. I am not sure if this comes from playing the game for 23 years or because I am playing a Sorlock ("I eldritch blast")

So I have been thinking, what is a class or build (in case it's a multiclass or archetype) that has the most variance battle to battle, turn to turn.

Some thoughts of mine are Wizards and Land Druids. Rangers/Sorcs don't have enough spells and they kind of get pigeonholed to a few spells.

Another thought I had was a Thief Rogue/Battlemaster Fighter for I steal your equipment shenanigans, along with Cunning Action in general and the ability to control the battle field.

Battlemaster Fighter + Rogue is a great example.

Open Hand Monk does too.

Clerics have a ton of options to play with.

For a fun and interesting Barbarian, try Ancestral Guardian with Mobile. Now you have to manage your positioning, mobility, Reckless Attack, and the HP of both you and your team, in order to most effectively do your job.

I also like Ranger + 3 levels of Land Druid. You have level 2 spells, Land Druid spells, 6 level 1 spells over the course of the day to fuel things like Zephyr Strike or Entangling Strike.

Citan
2019-03-22, 08:43 PM

Hi!

Well...

IMO, variance comes in many flavor, but all share a common requirement: being extremely light on resources, or free.

So, first, you have the martial or "common" things: Dash, Shove, Grapple, Knowledge check (Arcana/Religion/etc), all of which are best taken by Rogue.
Then the "Use an Item".

Then you have the Attack obviously, as well as some features that come for free ("Fear as an action" from Long Death Monk, "Taunt-like" for Swashbuckler)

Then you have cantrips.

Then you have 1st/2nd level slots or similar, as long as you have way to use many (meaning Sorcerer to convert higher in lower, or 4E/Shadow Monk).

I put aside bonus actions and reactions to keep things simple, but you can certainly take them into account.

You have all the pieces of the puzzle, now make it. :)

(Quick example, easy to build: Arcane Trickster Rogue with dips in Bard -Jack of All Trades-, Divine Soul Sorcerer -buffs and Subtle metamagic- and Tome Warlock -short rest slots: you'll have a dozen cantrips at your disposal, Expertise in Athletics for martial actions)

Samayu
2019-03-22, 09:19 PM
I enjoy monks due to their versatility.

Wizards can be very different due to their varying spell lists and schools.