PDA

View Full Version : give me ideas for an table top rpg

TheCritFail
2019-03-22, 07:10 PM
if you have ideas please post

Composer99
2019-03-22, 07:13 PM
Why are you asking? Are you thinking of designing your own ttrpg and want ideas to start from?

2D8HP
2019-03-22, 07:29 PM

Sure, here's an idea: Whatever your idea, Greg Stafford did it first and better already, learn from him.

Also: If it's based on "D20/3e D&D" it's probably been done.

There's thousands of TTRPG's, steal from some.

I could go for a blend of Lamatations of thr Flame Princess, Mythic Iceland, Pendragon, and Stormbringer myself.

Castle Falkenstein; Flashing Blades and 7th Sea are good as well, if your really interested in games.

Do you know Champions, RuneQuest, or Traveller?

What do you know?

Sereg
2019-03-23, 06:48 AM
You are each the spirit of a planet, guiding the creatures that grow upon you to greatness and to oppose the spirits of enemy planets

You are sapient white blood cells.

You are priests who do not merely worship god's, but actually create them.

You are muses inspiring mortals to creative genius.

You are spirits of Apocalypse, fighting for the chance to destroy the world.

What are you looking for?

TheCritFail
2019-03-23, 09:01 AM
Why are you asking? Are you thinking of designing your own ttrpg and want ideas to start from? yes I am making an ttrpg

JNAProductions
2019-03-23, 09:36 AM
yes I am making an ttrpg

You kinda gotta be more specific.

Do you want a very crunchy, tactical type of TTRPG? A more free-form, narrative heavy one? Do you want intricate court dances, backstabbing, and politics? Do you want hack-and-slash dungeon crawls?

TheCritFail
2019-03-23, 09:50 AM
I think I mean a setting idea as in like and is fantasy. like a main theme.

Sereg
2019-03-23, 12:08 PM
A setting where people hunt down the evils released from Pandora's box, with the theme of responsibility?

TheCritFail
2019-03-23, 12:51 PM
A setting where people hunt down the evils released from Pandora's box, with the theme of responsibility? thank you I will make this.

Sereg
2019-03-24, 12:42 AM
Okay. Keep us updated

Maat Mons
2019-03-24, 12:56 AM
Personally, I've always wanted a game where you play as a single cell, and all of your nuanced internal processes are modeled realistically, in painstaking detail. For some reason, no one seems to have made that game yet.

R.Shackleford
2019-03-24, 05:26 AM

I want to make a setting where the Eldritch horrors from a dead dimension are current day humans...

Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, halfling, and more are in the prime universe that has a very diverse universe...

So humans invade this fantasy world and have a war with magic users and stuff. Humans are space orcs in real life so we 1v1 overwhelm most things but our numbers are actually low...

TheCritFail
2019-03-24, 08:19 AM
I am working on it I might start a tread for it

Cliff Sedge
2019-03-24, 11:20 PM
I've always liked the idea of a post-post-post-apocalyptic fantasy world.

Think, Ralph Bakshi's Wizards --

Many thousands to millions of years in the future, old technologies have come and gone; civilizations have destroyed themselves, risen again, and destroyed themselves again.

Now - for some reason - magic exists. People are used to having magic, and they have forgotten the old technologies like electronic computers, firearms, airplanes, nuclear energy, ...

It can play out the same as classic D&D-style low- or high-magic fantasy: wizards and warriors, castles and dragons, etc.

But after a while, the player-characters come to realize that the magic in the world (and even the gods they worship) are actually caused/created by remnants of that old technology. Monsters are nuclear-radiation induced mutants (a la Fallout), magic comes from tapping in to still-extant electro-magnetic or nuclear powered energy grids, etc.

When it comes to designing adventures, remember to P.I.C.K. --

Plagiarize,
Improvise,
Compromise, and
Keep the game moving.

R.Shackleford
2019-03-24, 11:23 PM
I've always liked the idea of a post-post-post-apocalyptic fantasy world.

Think, Ralph Bakshi's Wizards --

Many thousands to millions of years in the future, old technologies have come and gone; civilizations have destroyed themselves, risen again, and destroyed themselves again.

Now - for some reason - magic exists. People are used to having magic, and they have forgotten the old technologies like electronic computers, firearms, airplanes, nuclear energy, ...

It can play out the same as classic D&D-style low- or high-magic fantasy: wizards and warriors, castles and dragons, etc.

But after a while, the player-characters come to realize that the magic in the world (and even the gods they worship) are actually caused/created by remnants of that old technology. Monsters are nuclear-radiation induced mutants (a la Fallout), magic comes from tapping in to still-extant electro-magnetic or nuclear powered energy grids, etc.

When it comes to designing adventures, remember to P.I.C.K. --

Plagiarize,
Improvise,
Compromise, and
Keep the game moving.

Might want to look into Numenera.

Maat Mons
2019-03-24, 11:35 PM
In a world of magic, an elite few command a feared and mysterious force, called "technology." But secretly, these marvelous feats of "science" are accomplished with nothing more than highly-advance magic.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-25, 10:35 AM
Might want to look into Numenera.

Darn, was going to say exactly this.

I'd like to find an RPG with complicated character creation, but tactical and simple execution. Like something from GURPS that doesn't require you to constantly look up stuff, with an emphasis on manipulating the battlefield rather than just dealing more damage.

I also would like to see recklessness and playing in-character being rewarded, while still making it a valid tactical choice. Sometimes, that Barbarian does something stupid that's in character, and everyone gets ticked off because he brought needless risk to the mission. I think the Barbarian SHOULD be stupid (on occasion), and have it be in their favor. Maybe this could be Experience coming from difficulty rather than enemy value, or maybe it's that the entire team gets a temporary buff to get their friend out of trouble, but I feel like there needs to be a lot more of that.

2D8HP
2019-03-25, 12:46 PM

I'd like to find an RPG with complicated character creation, but tactical and simple execution. Like something from GURPS that doesn't require you to constantly look up stuff, with an emphasis on manipulating the battlefield rather than just dealing more damage.

I also would like to see recklessness and playing in-character being rewarded, while still making it a valid tactical choice. Sometimes, that Barbarian does something stupid that's in character, and everyone gets ticked off because he brought needless risk to the mission. I think the Barbarian SHOULD be stupid (on occasion), and have it be in their favor. Maybe this could be Experience coming from difficulty rather than enemy value, or maybe it's that the entire team gets a temporary buff to get their friend out of trouble, but I feel like there needs to be a lot more of that.

The King Arthur Pendragon Traits & Passions system does that, I very much recommend checking it out.

I think 7th Sea does something similar, but I'm just not as familiar with that game.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-25, 12:56 PM
In a world of magic, an elite few command a feared and mysterious force, called "technology." But secretly, these marvelous feats of "science" are accomplished with nothing more than highly-advance magic.

What's funny about this is that this is the exact opposite concept of Numenera.

Everything was technology, until Earth was reshaped and destroyed half a dozen times or so. Now the dirt is actually made of tiny nanobots. The air is lightly polluted with vaccines and toxins. What was once an ignition machine with handles for easy replacement and modular swapping capabilities is now being used as a flame thrower from an adventurer protecting a caravan of "psychics" (who actually can just manipulate the nanobots using mind-signals).

All the "magic" is just technology that someone abandoned that we lost the manual for.

R.Shackleford
2019-03-25, 05:33 PM

Ok. I'm probably gonna get :smallfurious: for this... But you kinda described 4e D&D.

Character creation can be complicated, somewhere between 3e and 5e, but the execution is rather simple. Manipulation of the battlefield via controllers, defenders, and leaders is key. You don't even need a striker in the party.

Recklessness is encouraged with the +2/-2 system if you don't have a :smallannoyed: DM. Plus "advantage" can be habded out like candy. The mixture of the +2/-2 and advantage is awesoke for this! I love playing an Avenger (versus their target they pretty much always roll advantage on attacks) because I'll take that -2, gladly, because it ain't gonna stop me a majority of the time against my primary target.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-25, 05:44 PM
Ok. I'm probably gonna get :smallfurious: for this... But you kinda described 4e D&D.

Character creation can be complicated, somewhere between 3e and 5e, but the execution is rather simple. Manipulation of the battlefield via controllers, defenders, and leaders is key. You don't even need a striker in the party.

Recklessness is encouraged with the +2/-2 system if you don't have a :smallannoyed: DM. Plus "advantage" can be habded out like candy. The mixture of the +2/-2 and advantage is awesoke for this! I love playing an Avenger (versus their target they pretty much always roll advantage on attacks) because I'll take that -2, gladly, because it ain't gonna stop me a majority of the time against my primary target.

I actually loved 4e for its tactical gameplay. I didn't like the fact that the majority of the game has to be done in combat.

There was a particular problem in a tavern situation where someone was running away, and my Warforged Warden wanted to use some Shock Whip ability to grab the target and pull him to me. The question came up as to whether I had to deal damage and the rules said I had to. It was at that point that I had to find something else to play.

There was another scenario, where my Avenger could sprout wings to rush a target as part of an attack, and we had to jump a canyon. I had to attack something, so...did I have to lunge at the tree on the other side? Could I target the ground? What are the specifications on my non-combat flight? There weren't any.

4e handled combat perfectly. It was everything else that needed a lot of love. I also felt that the balance for some classes and abilities were a bit...off. Not quite as bad as 3.5, mind you, but worse than what I'd expect out of a combat-oriented tactics game. Although I still go through and steal abilities, races, monsters, and other mechanical specifics from it to convert over to 5e. And the way they did Barbarians puts the 5e Barbarian to shame.

R.Shackleford
2019-03-25, 09:42 PM
I actually loved 4e for its tactical gameplay. I didn't like the fact that the majority of the game has to be done in combat.

There was a particular problem in a tavern situation where someone was running away, and my Warforged Warden wanted to use some Shock Whip ability to grab the target and pull him to me. The question came up as to whether I had to deal damage and the rules said I had to. It was at that point that I had to find something else to play.

There was another scenario, where my Avenger could sprout wings to rush a target as part of an attack, and we had to jump a canyon. I had to attack something, so...did I have to lunge at the tree on the other side? Could I target the ground? What are the specifications on my non-combat flight? There weren't any.

4e handled combat perfectly. It was everything else that needed a lot of love. I also felt that the balance for some classes and abilities were a bit...off. Not quite as bad as 3.5, mind you, but worse than what I'd expect out of a combat-oriented tactics game. Although I still go through and steal abilities, races, monsters, and other mechanical specifics from it to convert over to 5e. And the way they did Barbarians puts the 5e Barbarian to shame.

A lot of these issues are not specifixally 4e issues. It's lile Thorn whip in 5e, yeah, you have to deal damage. All it takes is a DM saying "you don't have to if you don't want to" in either edition to make things work better.

Reminds me in 5e that you can't target objects with Eldritch blast.

I believe the 4e PHB or DMG had some stuff in there about DMs being flexible with how powers work... But that might have mostly been about changing damage type and tweaking then to fit a character's fluff.

I see 5e as 4.5, I really do, so much of essentials is baked into 5e that it only resembles 3e on the surface (it helps that 4e is acrually a lot of 3e optional rules).

Barbarians were fricken awesome and I loved the daily rages or being able to convert to a rage strike.

Ugh, for every step forward 5e took, it took two steps backwards.

Miko_Kira
2019-03-27, 01:53 PM
Check out Simple World. It's a skeletal system and you can modify it however you see fit.

Clockwork333
2019-03-31, 07:30 PM
A setting set inside of and atop a continent-sized creature

PopeLinus1
2019-03-31, 07:44 PM
A game where dying is super common, and with no way to resurrect anyone, but when you die you can start playing as family members.

In addition, you can have things like traveling, recovering, crafting, and exploring take more time, and if handled right you could end up with an campaign that goes into multiple generations.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-01, 10:05 AM
A game where dying is super common, and with no way to resurrect anyone, but when you die you can start playing as family members.

In addition, you can have things like traveling, recovering, crafting, and exploring take more time, and if handled right you could end up with an campaign that goes into multiple generations.

The problem with that is that players want to jump right back into the action, and it's kinda hard to do that if death is common and the person you're playing as is always starting fresh. I COULD see something like this as some sort of horror-based game, where everyone is trying to figure out how to stop a serial killer who's murdering your family over generations.

Or maybe it's some kind of disease and the family members have to learn what the patterns of the disease are in order to stop it.

If you want a video game version of your concept in an action game, check out Rogue Legacy.

PopeLinus1
2019-04-01, 02:32 PM
The problem with that is that players want to jump right back into the action, and it's kinda hard to do that if death is common and the person you're playing as is always starting fresh. I COULD see something like this as some sort of horror-based game, where everyone is trying to figure out how to stop a serial killer who's murdering your family over generations.

Or maybe it's some kind of disease and the family members have to learn what the patterns of the disease are in order to stop it.

If you want a video game version of your concept in an action game, check out Rogue Legacy.

I've played it, but what I think would be way cooler would be an open world with a focus on social interaction,

Chimera245
2019-04-01, 03:38 PM
Romancing SaGa 2 is a bit like that. You play as an entire line of emperors. You start off with Emperor Leon, who's teaching his son Gerard how to be an adventurer, then winds up dying in a scripted boss battle. But he's learned this "succession magic" that lets him pass down all of his abilities to his successor. So Gerard takes the throne and gets revenge on the boss, and the prologue is over.

You basically choose a new emperor from a list of random characters whenever you move the story forward a specific amount, your party is wiped, or your current emperor perma-dies.

And it's very open-world.