PDA

View Full Version : Thought Experiment - Master of Saves

tieren
2019-03-22, 10:09 PM
Hypothetically what character can you design that is better at saving throws than:

Gnome monk 14/pally 6, with dungeon delver, lucky, and mage slayer feats.

Gnome gives adv on Wis, Int, and CHA saves against magic
Monk 14 diamond soul gives proficiency in all saves and reroll for 1 ki, as well as evasion (half dmg on Dex sav failure, none on success)
Pally 6 gives aura of protection for +cha to saves
Dungeon delve gives adv on saves from traps
Mage slayer gives adv on all saves from casters within 5 feet
Lucky gives a number of reroll per day.

Xihirli
2019-03-22, 10:14 PM
That but Yuon-Ti.

nickl_2000
2019-03-22, 10:17 PM
Although you would probably be better off skipping the feats to do ASIS. You've got a character that needs con, wis, Dex, str, and cha. At least enough in each to multi class. It's pretty crazy MAD

nickl_2000
2019-03-22, 10:22 PM
Also if you are allowed Resilient X more than once you could do a Yaun-Ti fighter 10/Ancients Paladin 10, be way less MAD. Cast bless in every combat to have prof in all saves, +cha to saves, +1d4 to all saves and be immune to fear and take half damage from spells.

stoutstien
2019-03-22, 10:41 PM
Does it have to be made through just static save numbers?

hwem
2019-03-22, 11:13 PM
If yuan ti is not available then try looking into vedalken as well...over deep gnome.

Makorel
2019-03-23, 12:23 AM
If UA is included then Level 20 Artificer with 6 rings of protection seems comparable. +12 to each save and a cool 6 AC on top.

In my experience I would say that Paladin 6/Monk 14 is overkill for saves, and Dungeon Delver and Mage Slayer are too situational or overlap too much with Gnome Cunning. I've been playing a Gnome Ancients Paladin with 20 Charisma that's been pretty untouchable from save or suck effects and I've shifted over to looking for ways to increase my AC and at will damage because those are this character's weaker areas right now. Lucky's still good though since it helps against the odd crit and non-magic save.

gbg42
2019-03-23, 10:23 AM
Wouldn't vedalken be better than gnome? Lower Dex, but you get a Wis bump, and vedalken dispassion is like the gnome saving throw abitlity, but better because it works for all Int, Wis, and Cha saves, not just saves caused by magic

Chronos
2019-03-23, 11:17 AM
Realistically, how often do you see an Int, Wis, or Cha save that isn't caused by magic? Other than a few fear effects (which a devotion paladin is completely immune to), I can't think of any.

loki_ragnarock
2019-03-23, 11:23 AM
Realistically, how often do you see an Int, Wis, or Cha save that isn't caused by magic? Other than a few fear effects (which a devotion paladin is completely immune to), I can't think of any.

Aberration special abilities.

Star Spawn. All of them. I'm not looking at the entries right now, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

MaxWilson
2019-03-23, 11:29 AM
If UA is included then Level 20 Artificer with 6 rings of protection seems comparable. +12 to each save and a cool 6 AC on top.

Rings of protection don't stack.

Besides, the Artificer only has +3 attunement slots relative to the monk/paladin in the OP. Not enough to justify going Artificer.

Although you would probably be better off skipping the feats to do ASIS. You've got a character that needs con, wis, Dex, str, and cha. At least enough in each to multi class. It's pretty crazy MAD

You don't actually need more than 13 in Str, Cha, Dex, or Wis. Normally monks have to pump Dex and Wis for AC, but this monk can just wear plate armor. One of my favorite builds, the Sith Lord, is built on top of a Long Death Monk/Paladin chassis, with 2 warlock levels for offense. Still moderately MAD because of the multiclassing requirements but it's actually not that rare to roll up a stat array that works for it.

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-23, 11:32 AM
Yuan ti Monk 14, war mage 2, cleric 1, concentring on bless?

MaxWilson
2019-03-23, 11:39 AM
Yuan ti Monk 14, war mage 2, cleric 1, concentring on bless?

The Paladin/Monk in the OP can also concentrate on Bless.