PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Complete List of DnD 3.5 Source Books

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-03-22, 10:26 PM
I have argued with my friend and DM about what 3.5 source material is classified as SOURCE. There are multiple different collections of Items, feats, and Monsters that I would like access to, but he classifies them as "Non-existent", because they are not on the one list that he deems as "Source". I was just wondering how you identify what material is classified as usable for a strictly non-homebrew campaign. Or, where you find the list of allowable books and materials.

This is the list we follow so religiously, everything except the Magazines, and all of the 3.0 content
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3d2ptm/complete_list_of_dnd_35_source_books/

Crichton
2019-03-22, 10:44 PM
I have argued with my friend and DM about what 3.5 source material is classified as SOURCE. There are multiple different collections of Items, feats, and Monsters that I would like access to, but he classifies them as "Non-existent", because they are not on the one list that he deems as "Source". I was just wondering how you identify what material is classified as usable for a strictly non-homebrew campaign. Or, where you find the list of allowable books and materials.

This is the list we follow so religiously, everything except the Magazines, and all of the 3.0 content
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3d2ptm/complete_list_of_dnd_35_source_books/

You're asking using the terminology 'what material is source' which I don't think is a term with any real meaning behind it.

Materials that have been published for D&D 3.5 fall (mostly) into two categories: First party sources, and third party sources.

First party sources are anything that has been written and published directly by Wizards of the Coast, Inc (WotC), who are the current owners of the D&D copyright, and so anything published by them is considered 'official' or 'canon.'

But dozens of third party sources have published supplemental material that's ostensibly compatible with D&D 3.5, using the Open Game License provided by Wizards of the Coast. This material is NOT considered official or canon.

That's not to say it's all bad, but by and large, especially here on the forums, you'll find when DMs list their allowed sources, that list is generally limited to first party sources, or even a restricted subset of first party sources.

There's also a weird middle ground, often called 'second party sources' which is material that's published by another company, but under direct license by WotC. This includes Dragon Magazine, a publication of Paizo Publishing, but under license by WotC, and also some 'officially licensed' campaign setting material, like Kingdoms of Kalamar, for example, which is licensed by WotC, but written and published by Kenzer and Company. These second party sources are mostly considered 'semi-official' but generally DMs will either not allow them at all or only allow content from them on case by case basis, because the content in them has not been directly reviewed by the original publishing team, and is often found to be broken or imbalanced.

So if you're asking what's 'official' the answer is anything directly written and published by WotC (that list you linked looks pretty good, but I didn't check it title by title - the list I use is here (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/1138/how-do-you-tell-if-a-dd-book-is-3-0-or-3-5/36990#36990)).

If you're unsure if a particular book is official, just open it up and turn to the second or third page where all the fine print legalese is, and look for where it prints the copyright date, and see what follows (for example, ©2005, Wizard of the Coast, Inc, taken from the Dungeon Masters Guide 2).

Palanan
2019-03-22, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by SpicyBoi_Nezu
This is the list we follow so religiously….

The first item on that list is incorrect. The Arms and Equipment Guide is 3.0, not 3.5.

Also, the list has some hilariously incorrect spellings, in particular “Bad Mood Waning.”

lucky9
2019-03-23, 09:50 PM
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wizards_of_the_Coast

Mostly organized list of WotC publications. I had a very similar question a while back and eventually found this. Hope it helps!

Troacctid
2019-03-23, 10:18 PM
I usually go with the list on the archived D&D website. It's in the Product Key section at the bottom of any of the consolidated lists. http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/invocations

magic9mushroom
2019-03-23, 11:34 PM
This includes Dragon Magazine, a publication of Paizo Publishing, but under license by WotC,

True for all of Dragon's 3.0 run (up to 308) and most of its 3.5 run, but Dragon 360 through 363 (inclusive) are from Wizards itself.

Notes on that list:

1) Doesn't distinguish between 3.0 and 3.5 in the "Core Books" section.
2) Races of Eberron is not an Eberron book. It's a core supplement.

@SpicyBoi_Nezu: Maybe you could elaborate on some of the books your DM has disallowed, so we can check them?

Palanan
2019-03-25, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by magic9mushroom
@SpicyBoi_Nezu: Maybe you could elaborate on some of the books your DM has disallowed, so we can check them?

Seconding this.

Without any other information, it seems as if “source” is your DM’s personal classification, since as others have mentioned it’s not a definitive term. Everything is a “source” to some degree, and what sources are allowed is always up to the DM.

magic9mushroom
2019-04-12, 08:43 AM
True for all of Dragon's 3.0 run (up to 308) and most of its 3.5 run, but Dragon 360 through 363 (inclusive) are from Wizards itself.

I correct myself: it was WotC up to 297. Paizo was 298-359.