PDA

View Full Version : Does Monkey Grip let you use Large Crossbow's?

BlueWitch
2019-03-23, 12:29 AM
The Monkey Grip feat basically lets you wield a weapon a size larger than normally.

So would it let a Medium sized character wield a Large sized character's Crossbow?

We've only been doing this with Melee weapons, and no ones tried it with Ranged ones yet.

Temotei
2019-03-23, 12:32 AM
You can do that without Monkey Grip.

BlueWitch
2019-03-23, 12:50 AM
You can do that without Monkey Grip.

Wut?

Lmao, we're like noobs with this feat! xD

Wait, so you can use a Weapon larger than your size category and it's just a -2 penalty? I wish I had my books on me.

zergling.exe
2019-03-23, 01:22 AM
Monkey Grip allows you to use a weapon one size larger without increasing the handedness required. For example, a medium creature wielding a large shortsword would wield it as a 1-handed weapon rather than light at a -2 penalty; and a small creature would wield the same weapon as a 2-handed weapon at a -4 penalty. Monkey Grip would make the medium creature wield it as a light weapon at a -2 penalty, but does not benefit the small creature wielding a large weapon. Heavy crossbows are technically 1 handed weapons, and so normally you could wield a large one in 2 hands at a -2 penalty (not sure how reloading works as it's a special case), with Monkey Grip allowing you to use it 1-handed at the same -2 penalty.

Crake
2019-03-23, 01:33 AM
Heavy crossbows are technically 1 handed weapons

That's not quite true. They're two handed weapons, but CAN be wielded with one hand at a -4 penalty. If you were to use a large one without monkey grip, you would have to take the -4 penalty for wielding it as a "one handed weapon", while still being forced to use two hand, and also take the -2 penalty for wrong size, so you'd end up with a -6 penalty on attack rolls with it.

gorfnab
2019-03-23, 11:20 PM
You could just buy Strongarm Bracers (MIC) if you want to wield a weapon one size larger, without penalties, rather than waste a feat trying, and failing, to do so.

This also leads into my favorite "Large" crossbow build setup.

Items:
Strongarm Bracers (MIC)
+1 Aptitude (ToB) Great Crossbow (RoS)

Feat:
Hand Crossbow Focus (DoTU)

Class:
Targeteer Fighter ACF (Drg #310) or regular Fighter if Dragon Magazine is not available

Setup:
Targeteer Fighter gives you proficiency in a number of Exotic ranged weapons of your choosing at first level. You'll need to choose Hand Crossbow and Great Crossbow for this build. Choose Arrow Swarm as your Targeteer Ability. If Dragon Magazine material is not available, then you can just take a level or two of Fighter and choose the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feats for those two crossbows instead. A slightly loose interpretation of the Aptitude magic weapon enhancement ability and the feat Hand Crossbow Focus leads to a situation when combined with a Great Crossbow where you can get iterative attacks in a round with the Great Crossbow. Strongarm Bracers ups this interesting situation by making it a Large size Great Crossbow, basically a mini ballista.

Other additions to consider:
Basic archery feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Far Shot, etc.
Feat: Crossbow Sniper (PHBII)
Feat: Dead Eye (Drg #304)
Feat: Woodland Archer (RotW)
Feat: Weapon Specialization - Hand Crossbow
Feat: Ranged Weapon Mastery (PHB II)
Item: Gnomish Crossbow Sight (A&EG)
Classes: Rogue or Scout (CAdv) for precision damage option
Prestige Class: Cragtop Archer (RoS)
Prestige Class: Deepwood Sniper (MotW)
Prestige Class: Exotic Weapon Master (CW)
Spell: Sniper's Shot (SC)
Spell: Guided Shot (SC)