PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Aberrant Dragonmark on Tortle Battlemaster

KyleG
2019-03-23, 04:47 AM
Hey im after some advice.
With an 18 in str and my only odd number being 15 in Con i was leaning towards a +1 in both at 4th level. But if the DM lets me take the Aberrant Dragonmark do you think that is sensible?
She is a pirate-esk character who usually is an upclose stab em before they stab you type but this could be interesting flavour.

If we went down this road:
I was thinking of showing the Dragonborn sorcerer the mark and seeing what he could teach me and Im leaning towards the following
Cantrip: 1 of Greenflame blade, Lightning Lure, booming blade.
Spell level 1: Catapult (could be fun to get telekinesis), chaos bolt (for coolness), expeditious retreat (to get closer quicker) or shield (for a meaty 24 AC).

Any reasons for/against the above? Anything else i should consider?

Cheers

Contrast
2019-03-23, 03:05 PM
Keep in mind that as a fighter you're giving up your extra attack(s) when you attack using a cantrip.

Personally I'd be inclined to go for utility rather than damage. Tortles don't have darkvision and you're not going to be concentrating on other spells so may be a good opportunity to take Dancing Lights which I always like but could never quite justify taking :smalltongue:

I have no particular suggestion for the spell but just to say you only get it once a day so you want something that is either going to be very impactful when its relevant or you will be glad to be able to cast every day. You may want to consider Absorb Elements.

KyleG
2019-03-23, 03:28 PM
Keep in mind that as a fighter you're giving up your extra attack(s) when you attack using a cantrip.

Personally I'd be inclined to go for utility rather than damage. Tortles don't have darkvision and you're not going to be concentrating on other spells so may be a good opportunity to take Dancing Lights which I always like but could never quite justify taking :smalltongue:

I have no particular suggestion for the spell but just to say you only get it once a day so you want something that is either going to be very impactful when its relevant or you will be glad to be able to cast every day. You may want to consider Absorb Elements.

I missed Dancing lights...could come in handy. Absorb elements seems like that could help out in a pinch without compromising my normal actions.

Ive removed lightning lure from consideration after noticing its within 15 ft. At that range I might as well just go hit the darn creature. Booming blade and Green flame blade incorporate the normal attack into the action so would still be ok. and Blade ward seems like a useful preparation motion as I approach a target if I cant yet reach them.

JackPhoenix
2019-03-23, 03:44 PM
I missed Dancing lights...could come in handy. Absorb elements seems like that could help out in a pinch without compromising my normal actions.

Ive removed lightning lure from consideration after noticing its within 15 ft. At that range I might as well just go hit the darn creature. Booming blade and Green flame blade incorporate the normal attack into the action so would still be ok. and Blade ward seems like a useful preparation motion as I approach a target if I cant yet reach them.

BB and GFB still use Cast a spell action instead of Attack action, so they are incompatible with Extra Attack and similar abilities that require you to take Attack action first.

And defensive spells don't really fit the flavor of aberrant 'marks.

KyleG
2019-03-23, 11:25 PM
BB and GFB still use Cast a spell action instead of Attack action, so they are incompatible with Extra Attack and similar abilities that require you to take Attack action first.

And defensive spells don't really fit the flavor of aberrant 'marks.

Well guess that rules out BB and GFB putting us back to either blade ward or dancing lights, and then absorb elements or shield for the 1st level spell.

Thats disappointing. So am i better off just taking the +1 to Con and Str, leaving strength on 19 and Con on 16

Mjolnirbear
2019-03-24, 10:30 PM
An aberrant mark allows upcasting. You'll want something to work with that.

For instance: Hold Person upcast hits more targets. Magic Missile gives more missiles. Sleep doesn't even allow a saving throw. Thunderwave would be an excellent cinematic move when surrounded by enemies.

If your DM is lenient, he may permit a non-sorcerer spell too.

KyleG
2019-03-25, 01:57 AM
I will certainly be revisiting this but i completely overlooked the Tough Feat. Ill take that now (4th), +2 to Str (6th) bringing me to 20 and then consider my options from there.