PDA

View Full Version : Balance: Drunken Monk/Bard using Dex/Cha instead of Dex/Wis

Aéquitas
2019-03-23, 05:22 AM
Hi there,

Before I talk to my Dm I wanten to ask a few questions about balance:
I’m playing a Drunken Monk / Bard / Hexblade
Important stats: 16 in Dex/Wis and Cha and probably only 2-3 ASI possabilities during the campaign.

As you can see this is a really unoptimal character but superfun and flavourfull when it comes to roleplaying. It started as a Monk Bard but he got cursed during the campaign which forced him into the Hexblade. I play mainly support inspiring the others, casting things like sleep or dissonant whispers and healing occasionaly. But most of the time I’m at the frontlines (or enemy backlines) with the other melee.

There is a big risk that my character will start falling behind in damage as time goes by. Especialy with me now multiclassing 3 classes. The other characters are new to the game and do not multiclass. They play berserker barbarian, tempest cleric and arcane trickster.

Seeing as the Hexblade already gets Cha for attack and damage for his weapon attacks I was wondering how broken it would be if:

-Cha replaces Wis for natural armour
Or
-Cha can also be used for unarmed attacks

Or
-to make multiclassing a Monk more viable without needing bandage homebrew magic Monk items.
-Getting 0,5 Ki point per non Monk level

JackPhoenix
2019-03-23, 07:58 AM
It wouldn't be broken per se, but I wouldn't allow that. MADness is the price you pay for the increased functionality, and neither monk nor bard is primarily heavy damage dealer in the first place. With the other characters, your group has the damage covered.

All the changes look to me purely as an attempt to get more power with no downside.

mephnick
2019-03-23, 10:16 AM
All the changes look to me purely as an attempt to get more power with no downside.

Yep.

Don't multiclass if you can't handle the downsides.

Unoriginal
2019-03-23, 10:25 AM
I third that. Getting a free power boost via house-ruled synergy would not happen at my table.

It's not because something isn't game-breaking that it isn't a power boost, or that it should be allowed.

Arkhios
2019-03-23, 11:21 AM
Balance issues aside, Wisdom as AC represents the monk's combat awareness.

Charisma is the ability score which generally represents a character's force of personality. It hardly makes sense to say that you are easier/harder to hit because of your personality.

loki_ragnarock
2019-03-23, 11:34 AM
I was down with the title ready to proponent this... till I saw Warlock in the actual post, and then I was 100% out.

Making a tweak to fulfill a character idea I can enable. Making it simply to grab nice abilities I'm not a fan of.

And for the record, your damage would be crazy with one use of hexblades curse. 19-20 crit range and + proficiency damage for one of the classes with the highest number of attacks at the lowest levels? Nope. Some combos are nice but come with significant costs for a reason.
Frankly, monk/warlock already works okay, even with a relatively low charisma, but is balanced by an already MAD class getting MADDER enough to just be a barbarian already. Eliminating that one balancing factor throws things off considerably.

Aéquitas
2019-03-23, 12:36 PM
I was down with the title ready to proponent this... till I saw Warlock in the actual post, and then I was 100% out.

Making a tweak to fulfill a character idea I can enable. Making it simply to grab nice abilities I'm not a fan of.

And for the record, your damage would be crazy with one use of hexblades curse. 19-20 crit range and + proficiency damage for one of the classes with the highest number of attacks at the lowest levels? Nope. Some combos are nice but come with significant costs for a reason.
Frankly, monk/warlock already works okay, even with a relatively low charisma, but is balanced by an already MAD class getting MADDER enough to just be a barbarian already. Eliminating that one balancing factor throws things off considerably.

For the record I already have 16 in both Cha Dex and Wis. So the only difference progression wise is putting my ASI in Cha or in Dex (since Wis doesn’t do much for a Drunken Monk) I will get that crazy damage regardless (had no idea about that proficiency bonus dmg).

It’s just that right now Dex also gives me unarmored defence and Cha doesn’t.
Cha on the other hand gives me extra bardic inspiration (and extra eldritch strike dmg I guess?) which would be cool for my party.

Would that change your opinion or are you saying that I shouldnt worry about falling behind in dmg at all since I already have a great scaling combo build in right now?

Also I was talking about 3 seperate tweaks not all of them at the same time.

Would you allow these options on magic items btw?
Having bracers that make cha work for unarmored defence instead of using bracers of defence for example?
Or have handwraps that make cha work for unarmed strikes instead of a +1-3 weapon?

sophontteks
2019-03-23, 12:39 PM
Multiclassing is not some minor thing. It can really screw a character. Anyone can have aspects if a class without multiclassing, so its never nessesary for roleplay. A fighter could be religious and follow a code without changing class. A rogue could dabble in magic with a simple feat. Anyone could make a pact for specific powers without being a warlock. A barbarian can be sneaky and pick locks with a criminal background, etc etc.

Aéquitas
2019-03-23, 12:51 PM
Wow, the..... -Snip- .....character back.

Force is a big word. We are good friends and he is an awesome DM. Best I have player with so far. He gave some warning that my actions (helping a dying not so great looking corrupted Elf) could have these effects. So in the end it was my choice to go this path I just didn’t come up with the idea from a min-max point of view, and again I’m having tons of fun. But I would love to keep having tons of fun. Haha

If this ends up with a non working character I would just like to have some options to get it fixed without having to redcon or reroll a character.

sophontteks
2019-03-23, 01:02 PM
Force is a big word. We are good friends and he is an awesome DM. Best I have player with so far. He gave some warning that my actions (helping a dying not so great looking corrupted Elf) could have these effects. So in the end it was my choice to go this path I just didn’t come up with the idea from a min-max point of view, and again I’m having tons of fun. But I would love to keep having tons of fun. Haha

If this ends up with a non working character I would just like to have some options to get it fixed without having to redcon or reroll a character.
I edited my post with yours, if your confused.

I think the important thing is just that multiclassing shouldn't be done to reflect roleplaying changes. There are better alternatives that don't create such a big mess.

I think that, since the DM is heavily involved in this, you can ask for some houserules to make it work for you. The DM may be intending to make your character weaker and deny your request, otherwise the buff could be likened to receiving a magic item or dark gift.