PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Goofy half-baked scout idea. Help me polish it?

Zaq
2019-03-23, 01:36 PM
This is an extremely incomplete nucleus of a goofy idea that’s probably gonna go nowhere, but whatever.

I love the scout class from CAdv more than is probably appropriate. It strikes me as a very elegant concept married to an interesting party niche married to an extremely bad design flaw. But despite its problems, I like it, and I like thinking of ways to work around the limitations it has, the big obvious one being that it doesn’t have a class-native way to trigger Skirmish on a full attack. This is an attempt to use a nonconventional method to address that weakness. (I’m well aware of the traditional ways to solve the problem, including but not limited to Pounce, Travel Devotion, and Greater Manyshot. I’m not trying to make a strong scout. I’m trying to make a weird scout.)

A question in the Simple RAW thread reminded me that grappling can involve “free” movement into the target’s space. Scouts love free movement. The core of the idea, then, would be to cobble together a scout with enough reach and enough grapple juice* to reach out and touch someone with their first attack of the round, move in to maintain the grapple, and then get skirmish dice on their remaining attacks, which would probably be those weird grapple-based attempts to damage an opponent. Optimal? Clearly not—there's so much that can go wrong. Amusing? I think so!

So there’s a few prongs to this. We need crazy high reach, we need good grapple mods, we need as many levels in a class that advances skirmish dice as possible, and we need something that clearly counts as an attack when used as a way of damaging an opponent in a grapple. And I’m 100% freestyling and thinking on the fly at this point, so I’m totally looking forward to hearing how you suggest to improve this.

Getting really big is generally a good way to both increase reach and increase grappling ability, so do we have a good way to accomplish getting big on essentially a scout chassis? Swift Hunter means scout mixes well with ranger, but WS ranger’s wild shape can’t usually get above Medium. Is there an easy way to break that cap with perhaps a clever dip or two into a WS-based PrC? Daggerspell shaper can be qualified for by a Swift Hunter using scout and WS ranger as the base and does grant Large WS at level 4, but it advances sneak attack regardless of whether you qualified with sneak attack or skirmish. Master of many forms gets Large WS just at level 2, though. Huge takes more levels than we're likely to be able to spare. Warshaper gets extra reach at level 3.

If we stay in humanoid shape, there’s always the old reach-increasing standbys of Willing Deformity (Tall) and Inhuman Reach, each of which costs two feats. Expensive, and it only gets us to 15’, which isn't enough for Improved Skirmish to trigger. Might stack with some other options, though, and those two feats do work all day every day with no activation, which helps.

Goliath barbarians become Large while raging. Being a goliath costs a level and kind of hurts that way, though, and it's not fully compatible with everything else we're trying to do, but I guess it can be thought of as basically a two-level investment. (Probably plus a feat to do it more than once a day.)

Psychic warriors are pretty good at grappling. Expansion and grip of iron alone count for a heck of a lot. Don't think there's a way to progress psychic warrior manifesting while advancing skirmish dice, though, is there? (As a spin-off idea, maybe it'd be amusing to turn the build into more of a controller by using the "you can sacrifice skirmish dice for ambush feats" clause and loading up on debuff-style effects on folks you grapple. Could perhaps combine well with daggerspell shaper and the Savage Grapple feat?)

Is there a way to get an attack to count as initiating a true grapple (that follows all the normal grapple rules, including moving) while at range? Perhaps the blood wind spell? Blood wind should work if you have a way to trigger a grapple after hitting with an arbitrary unarmed strike or natural weapon, as many forms of improved grab do. What's the best way to get this style of improved grab on a PC, and how can we get a good number of castings of blood wind for minimal level investment (or while advancing our other goals)? Damn shame that blood wind isn't Persistable without getting Ocular Spell involved. That's a lot of feats if we wanted to use DMM shenanigans, unless someone can think of an easier way to get it a whole bunch of times. Can a naenhoon illumian first spontaneously slap Ocular onto a spell and then spontaneously slap Persist on it when actually releasing the Ocularized spell? You need to have two separate swift actions to apply two separate metamagics via naenhoon, but the wording of Ocular kind of seems like you cast it twice: you first "cast" it into your eyes, and then you later "cast" it as eye beams.

In a similar "grapple at range" vein, bloodstorm blade is the gold standard for this flavor of rules-bending shenanigans, but it seems to move in the wrong direction for this particular task unless someone can offer another perspective. We don't want to start with thrown weapons and turn them into melee attacks (unless there's a game element that triggers a grapple off of hitting with an arbitrary melee attack that isn't an unarmed strike/natural weapon), but rather the reverse. I think. Like I said, I'm freestyling on the fly.

Oriental Adventures has two bizarre weapons that let you grapple: the sasumata and the sodegarami. Book of Exalted Deeds has the entangling pole and the grasping pole, which are clearly based off of the sasumata and the sodegarami.

The sasumata and the grasping pole have reach, but they only work on Small or Medium opponents, which is annoying. The sasumata deals nonlethal damage and the grasping pole does lethal damage, which is somewhat amusing considering that the grasping pole is in the section of BoED devoted to "nonlethal weapons."
The sodegarami has no baked-in size limitations but only works against characters who are wearing clothing but who are not wearing heavy armor, and that's a remarkably small subset of opponents in many games. It says you "do not have to" move into your target's space, but "do not have to" is very different from "cannot." It also doesn't have reach but explicitly does hold your foe up to 10 ft away from you. It's a rules mess from start to finish.
The entangling pole appears to be almost exactly the same as the sodegarami, but it has reach.

I don't think these weapons are the answer to this problem, but eh, you never know.

Let's sum up a bit! Seeing a few possible paths to go down, and I'm not sure which is the closest to being practical.

Shapeshifty route! Swift Hunter to mix scout with ranger, WS ranger to get WS, some game element to break WS ranger's size cap. The advantage here is that if we can get past the size limit, levels in ranger both advance shapeshiftery (which makes grappling easier) and skirmish dice, which are, after all, the entire point.
Blood wind route! Get some method of accessing blood wind a meaningful number of times per day (or Persist it), get an improved grab ability to tack a grapple onto an arbitrary unarmed strike hit or natural weapon hit, and follow your flung punches across the battlefield. The advantage is that you're less limited by reach, and the image is hilarious. The disadvantage is that I'm not sure how to get blood wind a useful number of times per day without being a full caster with a ton of spell slots unless we're diving into Persistomancy, and I've still got a fudge factor in there for how to get improved grab. And we need ways to actually succeed at grapple checks.
Weapon route? I dunno, something involving those goofy weapons? Reach increases work better with reach weapons, but those weapons have obnoxious limitations. Any way to force an opponent to wear clothes without spending major actions?
Size-increasing route! Simply become really big without actually turning into another critter by means of goliath barbarian, psychic warrior, or some similar combination. Advantage is that you aren't fending off as many questions about why you aren't using your shapeshifting more optimally (and it might stack with things like Willing Deformity); disadvantage is that I don't think it's easy to progress skirmish dice at the same time as the other things we're talking about here.
Something else?

I'm pretty sure I'm in full ramble mode by this point. Might be best to leave off here. Again, I know that this is far and away not even close to the most efficient way to get skirmish on a full attack (technically a full attack minus one), but the goal is to solve a well-known problem in a new and kooky (but hopefully at least minimally viable!) way. Anyone got anything to add? Ever looked at this kind of interaction before? See a combo I'm missing? Feel like slapping together a skeletal build that sees how many levels it actually takes to cram together all these build elements I'm cavalierly tossing around? Floor's open!

*(Grapple juice, of course, is what you get by mixing together grape juice and apple juice. It’s surprisingly complex. Just describing it takes up like a full page and a half.)

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-03-23, 02:53 PM
Ending a grapple is a free action, right? If so, then do I have the race for you!

Anthropomorphic giant octopus, from Savage species. It has two racial HD, but on a melee build they're well worth it, because it gives you 6 primary tentacle attacks (and a secondary bite attack that is not especially relevant to this build), all of which have reach and can automatically initiate a grapple on a hit. So an attack against an opponent 10ft away lets you move into their space (assuming you manage to grapple them), proccing Skirmish. Then you get Constrict, dealing some more damage (also probably with Skirmish bonus damage). Let go as a free action, and repeat up to 5 more times (on a full attack). Plus the bite also benefits from Skirmish, even if you can't use it to pull off the movement trick. Find a way to become Large, and now you're moving up to 20ft with each grapple.

Menzath
2019-03-23, 02:55 PM
After a little searching, if you want to max out skirmish damage, and be a grapple beast, looks like the best bet is to be a scout/rogue(psionic variant) with the Swift ambusher feat. Taking the psionic feats to learn new powers when available. Namely expansion and metamorphosis. That should net you all the grapplelyness and strength you need, and a form with natural attacks to use in a grapple.
The odd part would be on what you do for round two. Maybe dimension hop away, and grapple again?

Edit: I am hoping psionic rogue is a variant and not an entirely new class in respects to Swift ambusher since it only specifies rogue class levels. But who knows. I'm taking a nap now.

Blue Jay
2019-03-23, 03:04 PM
Ending a grapple is a free action, right? If so, then do I have the race for you!

Anthropomorphic giant octopus, from Savage species. It has two racial HD, but on a melee build they're well worth it, because it gives you 6 primary tentacle attacks (and a secondary bite attack that is not especially relevant to this build), all of which have reach and can automatically initiate a grapple on a hit. So an attack against an opponent 10ft away lets you move into their space (assuming you manage to grapple them)...

The problem is that Improved Grab reverses the "move after a grapple" rule: you pull an opponent into your space instead of moving into their space (source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab)).

Falontani
2019-03-23, 03:26 PM
Changeling scout: racial emulation
2 halfling monk: exchange fob for skirmish, bonus feat: improved grapple
3 half orc paragon: power attack
4 scout
5 scout
6 monk: superior unarmed strike, improved skirmish
7 warshaper
8 warshaper
9 warshaper: extended reach
10 monk
11 bear warrior
12 monk: earth's embrace
13 rogue
14 rogue
15 psychic warrior:swift ambusher
16 monk
17 monk
18 monk: improved natural attack: unarmed strike, monk bonus feat
19 halfling monk
20 warblade crushing weight of the mountain

Zombulian
2019-03-23, 03:46 PM
Worghest from Dragon Magazine (#? I’m AFB) has a shapeshifting ability that specifically qualifies as Wild Shape for the purposes of feats. Be that race, take Extra Wildshape, enter MoMF without any class level cost. The race has a level adjustment of 1 or 2, but it’s a Planetouched Outsider so you can use the Lesser Planetouched alt rule to drop that to 0.

2019-03-23, 04:47 PM
Getting intentionally grappled and ungrappled by a friendly beast sounds like Mounted Combat with extra steps. Maybe instead of twisting the RAW to get grappled into a skirmish, you could get your DM to let scouts and mounted combat play well by default?"

Macabaret
2019-03-23, 06:21 PM
Scorpion Claws (Sandstorm) are melee weapons, and thus, fair game for use with the Throwing property (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#throwing). Consequently, you could take the Throw Anything feat. Either would let you throw the Scorpion Claws with a range increment of 10' (which easily clears the range of Improved Skirmish). Whether or not RAW allows you to make a grapple attack at that range is up for debate. How/who/if movement happens on a successful grapple attack in that case has to be completely up to RAI.
If you can make a grapple attack and you do move to your opponent's square that way, you wouldn't even need the Returning property or levels in Bloodstorm Blade, as you'd go to the weapon, instead of the other way around.

The OP mentions Goliath Barbarians as a possibility. Another option, then, should be Half-Ogres (Races of Destiny). Large creature from the get-go, but +2 LA. Other naturally large (or larger?) playable races do exist.

Martial Study: Burning Brand (Tome of Battle) is a swift action to increase your weapon's reach for the rest of your turn. (See Scorpion Claws above.) One feat or a Swordsage dip. The dip would give you a recharge mechanic.
You could also take three feats (Martial Study twice, Martial Stance once at 18th level) or take a Warblade dip at 17th level to get Dancing Blade Form as a stance.
DBF would not stack with BB, but it will stack with other means of adding reach (Inhuman Reach, Deformity Tall, size, etc.)

Darrin
2019-03-24, 08:37 AM
Some spitballing:

Shapeshifty route! Swift Hunter to mix scout with ranger, WS ranger to get WS, some game element to break WS ranger's size cap. The advantage here is that if we can get past the size limit, levels in ranger both advance shapeshiftery (which makes grappling easier) and skirmish dice, which are, after all, the entire point.

Abolisher (Lords of Madness) and Shapeshifter (Oriental Adventures) both offer druid-based Wild Shape with a 1-level dip. They both are limited to small/medium animals, although you can expand that to large via MoMF 2 (Complete Adventurer). Swanmay 1 (BoED) also can Wild Shape into a swan 1/day, and presumably can expand that via MoMF.

There's also the Great and Small feat from Complete Champion, which allows you to increase the size of your current form via Wild Shape uses, but it doesn't actually grant to access to large-sized forms.

Blood wind route! Get some method of accessing blood wind a meaningful number of times per day (or Persist it), get an improved grab ability to tack a grapple onto an arbitrary unarmed strike hit or natural weapon hit, and follow your flung punches across the battlefield. The advantage is that you're less limited by reach, and the image is hilarious. The disadvantage is that I'm not sure how to get blood wind a useful number of times per day without being a full caster with a ton of spell slots unless we're diving into Persistomancy, and I've still got a fudge factor in there for how to get improved grab. And we need ways to actually succeed at grapple checks.

Kensai can enchant a natural weapon with Throwing/Returning, although it's not clear how exactly that would work with grappling.

For Improved Grab... Barbarian 1 can trade Fast Movement for Spirit Bear Totem (Complete Champion), but unfortunately because it references the MM version, you're limited to creatures smaller than your current size. You can get Improved Grab that works with your current size and smaller via Scaled Horror 1 (Savage Species), but you need either the Aquatic or Reptilian subtype. You can add Aquatic via the Amphibious template (Stormwrack), which will cost you Dex -2, so... not too bad, actually.

Scorpion's Grasp feat (Sandstorm) works somewhat similar to Improved Grab, but getting it more or less requires a Monk 1 dip, which may klunk things up if you're trying to avoid too many dips.

Blood Wind... Dragon Devotee 4 gets you +2d6 skirmish damage and 1st-level Sorcerer spells. Or it's also a cleric spell, so... Cleric 1 (Travel Devotion, maybe Celerity) + Prestige Ranger maybe?

Weapon route? I dunno, something involving those goofy weapons? Reach increases work better with reach weapons, but those weapons have obnoxious limitations. Any way to force an opponent to wear clothes without spending major actions?

Pincer Staff (MM p. 164). Start a grapple as a free action, works on any creature between small and large-sized.

Bola Flail (Ghostwalk p. 42) is another ranged weapon that can grapple an opponent but... rules-wise, it's a hot mess.

Size-increasing route! Simply become really big without actually turning into another critter by means of goliath barbarian, psychic warrior, or some similar combination. Advantage is that you aren't fending off as many questions about why you aren't using your shapeshifting more optimally (and it might stack with things like Willing Deformity); disadvantage is that I don't think it's easy to progress skirmish dice at the same time as the other things we're talking about here.

Well, you can start large... Anthropomorphic Whale has 3 racial HD but no LA. Likewise, Anthropomorphic Snake-huge-viper-version is also 3 racial HD but no LA, but we might want to consider the giant constrictor version... 3 racial HD with LA +1, loses Constrict but might get to keep Improved Grab? (Because it grabs with it's mouth?)

Other Large stuff... Hornhead Saurial (Serpent Kingdoms web enhancement) has 2 racial HD and LA +2. Shinomen Naga (Oriental Adventures) have racial HD and LA... although the Constrictor Naga is *Huge*, 4 racial HD with LA +4. Half-Ogre (Races of Destiny) is just large with LA +2.

Something else?

Animal Companion/Wild Cohort can be trained to grapple *you*, maybe move you closer to your target. Dvati pair, one grapples the other, then move the grapple... hmm. Trickery Devotion, duplicate grapples you... hrrm. Not sure this is going anywhere.

Free movement via Formation Expert? Take a look at this "Death Centipede (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21366342&postcount=18)" combo, maybe add some skirmish damage to it?

Piggy Knowles
2019-03-24, 11:59 AM
I feel like the easiest (though perhaps most boring) way to accomplish this would just be with a scout/arcane caster with polymorph-style magic/unseen seer. Unseen seer's +4d6 damage bonus means that a scout 1/caster 4/unseen seer 10 will end up with a +5d6 bonus skirmish, just like a 20th-level scout (though without the AC boosts or access to Improved Skirmish).

The Viscount
2019-03-24, 01:31 PM
You might be able to squeeze some use out of Ranged Pin. It's incredibly vague on what happens once you succeed, but it does let you make ranged grapple attempts against enemies, and while it doesn't move you, you might be able to cheese some Rending Constriction out of it.

If you're investing in willing deformity and inhuman reach, I'd remind you that while your natural reach will be 15 feet, reach weapons always double a creatures natural reach, it is not a flat addition. Meaning you can reach out to 30 feet with something like a Duom to threaten all squares within it. If you take Deespspawn, it'll qualify you for Extended Reach (though you may qualify via other means like a half-daelkyr's tentacle whip) which bumps you up to 20 natural, 40 with reach weapon.

Zaq
2019-03-25, 12:46 AM

Anthropomorphic giant octopus, from Savage species. It has two racial HD, but on a melee build they're well worth it, because it gives you 6 primary tentacle attacks (and a secondary bite attack that is not especially relevant to this build), all of which have reach and can automatically initiate a grapple on a hit. So an attack against an opponent 10ft away lets you move into their space (assuming you manage to grapple them), proccing Skirmish. Then you get Constrict, dealing some more damage (also probably with Skirmish bonus damage). Let go as a free action, and repeat up to 5 more times (on a full attack). Plus the bite also benefits from Skirmish, even if you can't use it to pull off the movement trick. Find a way to become Large, and now you're moving up to 20ft with each grapple.

Hmm. Clever choice. Pretty sure that ending a grapple is not a free action, though. Once you're grappling, you're grappling, and you've gotta make an escape attempt to get away from them. Which is, I will freely admit, kind of antithetical to how a scout is expected to play, but eh, we're being goofy anyway.

After a little searching, if you want to max out skirmish damage, and be a grapple beast, looks like the best bet is to be a scout/rogue(psionic variant) with the Swift ambusher feat. Taking the psionic feats to learn new powers when available. Namely expansion and metamorphosis. That should net you all the grapplelyness and strength you need, and a form with natural attacks to use in a grapple.
The odd part would be on what you do for round two. Maybe dimension hop away, and grapple again?

Edit: I am hoping psionic rogue is a variant and not an entirely new class in respects to Swift ambusher since it only specifies rogue class levels. But who knows. I'm taking a nap now.

Yeah, I think I share the concerns in your edit. I've always played psychic rogue as a completely separate class from rogue. You could multiclass between them, by my ruleset. So I don't think Swift Ambusher would work. It'd be clever if one had a GM that let it fly, though!

The problem is that Improved Grab reverses the "move after a grapple" rule: you pull an opponent into your space instead of moving into their space (source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab)).

Ugh. May need to find a workaround for that.

Changeling scout: racial emulation
2 halfling monk: exchange fob for skirmish, bonus feat: improved grapple
3 half orc paragon: power attack
4 scout
5 scout
6 monk: superior unarmed strike, improved skirmish
7 warshaper
8 warshaper
9 warshaper: extended reach
10 monk
11 bear warrior
12 monk: earth's embrace
13 rogue
14 rogue
15 psychic warrior:swift ambusher
16 monk
17 monk
18 monk: improved natural attack: unarmed strike, monk bonus feat
19 halfling monk
20 warblade crushing weight of the mountain

Bonus points for the build stub! Unfortunately it's not legal by RAW thanks to monk's stupid "once you MC out of monk, you can't take more levels in monk" rule.

Some spitballing:

Abolisher (Lords of Madness) and Shapeshifter (Oriental Adventures) both offer druid-based Wild Shape with a 1-level dip. They both are limited to small/medium animals, although you can expand that to large via MoMF 2 (Complete Adventurer). Swanmay 1 (BoED) also can Wild Shape into a swan 1/day, and presumably can expand that via MoMF.

There's also the Great and Small feat from Complete Champion, which allows you to increase the size of your current form via Wild Shape uses, but it doesn't actually grant to access to large-sized forms.

Kensai can enchant a natural weapon with Throwing/Returning, although it's not clear how exactly that would work with grappling.

For Improved Grab... Barbarian 1 can trade Fast Movement for Spirit Bear Totem (Complete Champion), but unfortunately because it references the MM version, you're limited to creatures smaller than your current size. You can get Improved Grab that works with your current size and smaller via Scaled Horror 1 (Savage Species), but you need either the Aquatic or Reptilian subtype. You can add Aquatic via the Amphibious template (Stormwrack), which will cost you Dex -2, so... not too bad, actually.

Scorpion's Grasp feat (Sandstorm) works somewhat similar to Improved Grab, but getting it more or less requires a Monk 1 dip, which may klunk things up if you're trying to avoid too many dips.

Blood Wind... Dragon Devotee 4 gets you +2d6 skirmish damage and 1st-level Sorcerer spells. Or it's also a cleric spell, so... Cleric 1 (Travel Devotion, maybe Celerity) + Prestige Ranger maybe?

Pincer Staff (MM p. 164). Start a grapple as a free action, works on any creature between small and large-sized.

Bola Flail (Ghostwalk p. 42) is another ranged weapon that can grapple an opponent but... rules-wise, it's a hot mess.

Well, you can start large... Anthropomorphic Whale has 3 racial HD but no LA. Likewise, Anthropomorphic Snake-huge-viper-version is also 3 racial HD but no LA, but we might want to consider the giant constrictor version... 3 racial HD with LA +1, loses Constrict but might get to keep Improved Grab? (Because it grabs with it's mouth?)

Other Large stuff... Hornhead Saurial (Serpent Kingdoms web enhancement) has 2 racial HD and LA +2. Shinomen Naga (Oriental Adventures) have racial HD and LA... although the Constrictor Naga is *Huge*, 4 racial HD with LA +4. Half-Ogre (Races of Destiny) is just large with LA +2.

Animal Companion/Wild Cohort can be trained to grapple *you*, maybe move you closer to your target. Dvati pair, one grapples the other, then move the grapple... hmm. Trickery Devotion, duplicate grapples you... hrrm. Not sure this is going anywhere.

Free movement via Formation Expert? Take a look at this "Death Centipede (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21366342&postcount=18)" combo, maybe add some skirmish damage to it?

Hmm. I appreciate you going through a similar process to me! I'm not sure any of these threads can take us anywhere new, but it's fun to see you doing what I was doing with the OP.

You're not joking about that bola flail being a hot mess of rules. Wow. I want to like it, but it really needs some clarification before we can do anything non-stupid with it.

I feel like the easiest (though perhaps most boring) way to accomplish this would just be with a scout/arcane caster with polymorph-style magic/unseen seer. Unseen seer's +4d6 damage bonus means that a scout 1/caster 4/unseen seer 10 will end up with a +5d6 bonus skirmish, just like a 20th-level scout (though without the AC boosts or access to Improved Skirmish).

That's an idea, I suppose. I agree that it's a little boring, but I do like the fact that unseen seer advances skirmish dice (if not AC) faster than most other sources. Maybe we can find a way to have it be our primary skirmish advancement but we're not necessarily relying on polymorph as the source of shapechangery? 4th level spells are a bit more magic than I was envisioning.

You might be able to squeeze some use out of Ranged Pin. It's incredibly vague on what happens once you succeed, but it does let you make ranged grapple attempts against enemies, and while it doesn't move you, you might be able to cheese some Rending Constriction out of it.

If you're investing in willing deformity and inhuman reach, I'd remind you that while your natural reach will be 15 feet, reach weapons always double a creatures natural reach, it is not a flat addition. Meaning you can reach out to 30 feet with something like a Duom to threaten all squares within it. If you take Deespspawn, it'll qualify you for Extended Reach (though you may qualify via other means like a half-daelkyr's tentacle whip) which bumps you up to 20 natural, 40 with reach weapon.

What's Extended Reach from?

jdizzlean
2019-03-25, 05:49 AM
if you wanted to try getting there just w/ size increases, you could:

a) athasian human psychic warrior - take expansion
b) jotunbrud feat - 1st lvl pre-req, be treated as large when it's advantageous to you (assuming you can swing athasian human)
c) acquire Strongarm Bracers - Mic 139, wield weapons 1 size larger (huge, as base)
d) use expansion and/or augment it to grow 2 sizes instead of 1

--this gets tricky, are you large and now colossal, or are you medium and now huge?

e) strongarm bracers now means you can use either a colossal or gargantuan weapon depending on the above, plus you can activate skirmish much easier due to movement speed.

alternatively, go half-giant like you mentioned, powerful build explicitly stacks w/ expansion and all the other things (other than the bracers)

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-03-25, 11:46 AM
On the subject of Improved Grab, three levels in Weretouched Master (bear) gives you a version not limited by size (as well as a host of other useful abilities like scent and a bonus feat). You have to be a shifter, but it works with any claws if you get some from another source (e.g. Draconic Creature template).

TheCount
2019-03-25, 03:46 PM
Shapeshifty route for the win!!!!

Go either changeling or human (maybe a variant?).

Changeling for (almost) always on (minor) shapechange, also for easy acces warsheaper.

Human, somewhere a 1 lvl psion dip with metabolish acf, aka changeling minor shapechange, (also, if you can blow a free feat, touchstone Weregleade (or how it is spelled)

2 or 3 levels of monk (though monk 3 gives you speed increase, you can swap that for dr 5/-, there is also the acf that grants invisibility 1 every 3 round)

warshaper obviously.

great reach bracers, maybe also granting you abberant/inhuman reach feat, for a total of +10ft reach.

Hidden talen for expansion, if you want it, though there ARE lot of nice 1st level powers....

either amulet of mighty fist or amulet of natural attacks (why they mixed up thier name, i will never understand...), also, if going for unarmed strikes, a fanged ring.

if we talking about psionics, spead of thought

.....how good are you with soulmelds? because sphinx claws can give you pounce as well.

....thats all for now. though, i recommend getting either an eversmoking/misting bottle and a sense to see through it, or something similar... also, eternal wands!

The Viscount
2019-03-29, 08:17 PM
Extended reach is from Savage Species and requires "nonrigid body or a nonrigid attack form such as a tentacle, feeler, or pseudopod" which is why I mentioned Deepspawn.
Sorry about the delay there, haven't had much time for the forum lately.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-04-05, 05:22 PM
Okay, I think I've got one. It's appropriately absurd, too. I already mentioned that Weretouched Master (bear) gets a version of Improved Grab not limited by opponent size, allowing them to initiate a grapple whenever they hit with a claw attack. But how do we increase the range?

Enter this lovely little spell I found while trolling through old Iron Chef competitions. Blood wind is a 1st level spell that lets you make natural weapon attacks as if they were thrown weapons with 20ft range increments. Note that completely absent from the text of either ability is a limitation on what abilities can or can't be performed as riders on the claw attack or at what range the Improved Grab will function at.

So, you can now perform claw attacks and by extension initiate grapples from up to 100 ft away from the target, moving in to their space on a successful grapple check.

There's one final hitch. It only works on a single full attack after casting the spell. So get/craft a wand of it, and have your familiar cast it for/on you.

Alternatively, the Feral Creature template gives you permanent claws, a worse version of Improved Grab, and a host of other claw and grapple related abilities as you level up. Probably still worth including with the Weretouched Master version.