PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Seeking a name for a certain class!

Kuroyama
2019-03-23, 03:43 PM
Hello all,

I've read here on the boards prior when searching for options in my 3.5e campaigns and found you all to be an invaluable source of information. Hopefully, you may be able to assist me with a problem, please!

I'm trying to select a class for a PbP game and a friend says he seems to remember one which suits our needs, but he can't recall the name. That makes it rather hard for me to track down. As far as details, this is what he remembers: "it was a martial type of class, with half caster progression I think, that allowed you to create planar rifts, and you could use them to travel or as weapons. I don't remember if the rifts were (Ex) or (Su), but if they were (Ex) that just reeks fun to me, imagine being able to send <big bad we're fighting> to the elemental plane of air, or to the positive energy plane!"

Any ideas at all, based on that, as to what class or PrC it might be? I welcome any leads with thanks in advance! :)

Zombulian
2019-03-23, 08:01 PM
PF or 3.5? Can’t say it sounds familiar.
Maybe Planar Shepherd?

Telonius
2019-03-23, 08:59 PM
Hello all,

I've read here on the boards prior when searching for options in my 3.5e campaigns and found you all to be an invaluable source of information. Hopefully, you may be able to assist me with a problem, please!

I'm trying to select a class for a PbP game and a friend says he seems to remember one which suits our needs, but he can't recall the name. That makes it rather hard for me to track down. As far as details, this is what he remembers: "it was a martial type of class, with half caster progression I think, that allowed you to create planar rifts, and you could use them to travel or as weapons. I don't remember if the rifts were (Ex) or (Su), but if they were (Ex) that just reeks fun to me, imagine being able to send <big bad we're fighting> to the elemental plane of air, or to the positive energy plane!"

Any ideas at all, based on that, as to what class or PrC it might be? I welcome any leads with thanks in advance! :)

Possibly Planeshifter, from Manual of the Planes. 7/10 casting, but not really martial (Poor BAB). The "Planar Area Swap" ability sounds like the "planar rifts" thing, and it does get Plane Shift at will.

It sounds a bit like Entropomancer (from Complete Divine), too. 3/4 BAB, divine casting 5/10. Its shtick is that you control little "shards of entropy," with a capstone of being to control Spheres of Annihilation. Nothing about travel though. Entropy Shards are Su.

ben-zayb
2019-03-24, 12:22 AM
Dragonmarked has Blade of Orien, which does use teleportation tricks for travel and direct offense, but it's just a martial class with no caster progression.

StSword
2019-03-24, 01:03 AM
If you're buddy is into Pathfinder, I might know the class- Dimensional Knight from Tome of Spell and Sword.

A mid bab up to 6th level spells gish whose special thing is playing with portals.

Although the portals aren't interdimensional.

But good luck.

magic9mushroom
2019-03-24, 01:08 AM
Anarchic Initiate from Complete Psionic can create minor and eventually complete breaches into Limbo (and the latter can be focussed on a creature to send it through with no way back). It's full-manifesting and 3/4 BAB.

Bard planar substitution level 12 (Planar Handbook) can create minor/severe breaches with bardic music.

Sor/Wiz spell list has Precipitate Breach at level 5 (minor/severe) and Precipitate Complete Breach at level 9. Both are from Planar Handbook.

Planeshifter has been mentioned.

And there are a bunch of PrCs that give Plane Shift or Gate.

Thedez
2019-03-24, 01:22 AM
Hello all,

Sounds like Planar Champion to me, except you didn't really use them as weapons and it didn't have caster progression. How sure was he that it was a caster, though, and not Psionic?