PDA

View Full Version : Steve's Mob Game

Stevesciguy
2019-03-23, 07:28 PM
It is a typical Autumn day in the city of New Irthos: dreary and overcast. Each of you is currently enjoying a period with few assignments; perhaps you're tinkering in your garage, or checking in some newly-acquired books. As you go about your business, you are each approached by a well-dressed individual, who wordlessly hands you a note, which simply reads:

The Boss would like to speak with you.

With haste, you make your way towards an unassuming building towards the center of the city, a building so bland that it almost wraps back around to standing out. Riding up to the top story of the building in one of the newly installed elevators, you are faced with a posh waiting room, with comfortable couches, and a wall broken up with a large pair of finely crafted wooden double doors.

On either side of the doors are two ogres, each of exceptionally large size even for their kin. Wearing well-fitting black suits, they are towering monoliths, made all the more intimidating by the fully automatic rifles that each one holds. As you each enter the room in turn, the one on the right of the doors says only a single sentence:

"Da Boss will be with ya in a minute."

Even after you've all arrived, you must wait. The assembled group is quite unusual, although you might recognize each other. Perhaps you are good friends, or have only seen each other in passing. For now, the Boss is making you wait, and the ogres offer no conversation, but they don't seem to have any issues with you talking amongst yourselves. Perhaps you should make introductions?

Grab a color everyone, we are go

QuadraticGish
2019-03-23, 09:19 PM
The lizardwoman looks towards everyone else curiously. "Here I thought I might have been the oddest of the bunch called here." she says in a distinctly old-world accent. "Any of you have any idea of what might've brought the boss to calling us?" she asks before taking a seat on one of the comfortable couches. She makes some last moment adjustments to her tie and to her wet hair.

Genth
2019-03-24, 05:31 PM
When Johnny arrived, it was to a laugh and a hand clasp with one of the Ogres. "Paulie, it's been way too long, 'ow's the family?" he says, sliding one hand into his pocket and glancing around the room. "You get my solstice card? Bet your missus loved that show, didn't she?" he continues, jovially before turning to glance at the other guest in the room, sauntering over and giving the Lizardfolk Woman a slow glance over. "Hey. Johnny Calbricazo, how ya doin'? I run the Silver Shower, down on the waterfront." he says, offering a hand to her with a smirk

Johnny's shadow doesn't move properly. Seems to ape his movements on a delay... or even on its own at times.

Gunhaven
2019-03-26, 05:55 AM
Samus McMagnus was putting the final books for the day away when the note arrived. There was something nice about running a library after hours, when people could check out books that people tried to label as illegal. The tiefling didn’t understand the point in trying to ban books since the knowledge wasn’t what was wrong, it was the practitioners. He locked the door behind him and left to go see what was needed of him, grimacing slightly at the bright light.

He muttered to himself in the elevator ”Going to be a long day, it is” in a long dead language and sized up the two ogres, then the two other individuals in the room. He blinked his tired and sunken eyes at them and then smiled with just a bit too much teeth, the black and blue scales that made up his skin being the only thing keeping himself from looking like a walking skeleton. Just as quickly as he smiled he seemed to realize his appearance and stopped, returning to a practiced neutral expression. He smelt vaguely of a graveyard, solidified by the tales of him raising the dead, as he held out one hand to no one in particular.

In a slow common that wasn’t used to this whole socializing thing, he said ”Samus McMagnus at your service. Sparky, they call me. Because of the electricity.” From his other hand he made some simple sparks appear as he casually swiped at the air, some tapeworms managing to get fried and flung towards the ground with the sudden movement. He looked down and frowned, muttering with just the hint of rage and disappointment ”Shouldn’t have let go, you little *******s. Gone and fried you, I had. Made a mess of the carpet too!”

JMS
2019-03-26, 08:05 AM
Nadia tucks her umbrella under an arm as she steps in, her hair shifting as if under a light breeze. "What do you believe we are needed to do?" she asks, seeming to ignore the strangeness of the lizardwoman and the currently rotting man. "Nadia Othivreph, I'm a lawyer for the family," the slightly taller than average woman introduces her self, adjusting her tailored jacket.

Genth
2019-03-26, 02:36 PM
"Yeah, I remember you, Nadia." Johnny says, turning and leaning against the back of a chair, reaching inside his jacket to pull out a cigarette. "You're the brief who sorted out that intimidation charge f'me." he says, lighting the stick and taking a long drag, the smoke seeming to cast impossibly deep shadows for a moment, covering his features save for his eyes. Y'never did cash in that free drink at my club." he adds, grinning. As to the question, he pauses, looking up. "Yeah, weird collection. We got the corpse fiddler, a lawyer, the mechanic with the best right hook in the city, and me. Either it's a surprise party, or a whole lotta people are gettin' murdered."

QuadraticGish
2019-03-26, 04:52 PM
"Divina Wiloeta. I sure hope it's a party. I wouldn't have wanted to get all dressed up for nothing. It wouldn't be bad to take a break being under cars all day though..." she stops for moment, thinking about something. "I would hope those gear heads at the shop can manage without me for a while without something going wrong." She then recalls Johnny's offer and then shakes Johnny's hand with her still natural arm.

Stevesciguy
2019-03-30, 04:20 PM
The ogre's voice breaks the silence as the talking dies down:

"Da Boss is ready for ya."

Each ogre turns to take a door, pushing them wide open.

Inside is a lavish office, walls covered in book cases stacked high with large tomes. Samus would recognize them as rare or expensive books on every subject, from military tactics of the old world, to recent arcanotechnological discoveries.

At the end of the room, underneath a sizable window overlooking the city, is a large desk, intricately carved with the history of New Irthos. Behind the desk sits a figure with whom you've grown well acquainted over your time with the family. An orc with slicked back salt and pepper hair, he is impeccably dressed, but has forgone any gaudy displays of the immense wealth he holds. Weary eyes meet each of yours in turn as he lets out a deep sigh, then begins to speak in a quiet but powerful voice.

"I'm glad you could all make it, friends. We have something of a crisis on our hands. As some of you may have heard, there have been signs of another organization like our own making its way into New Irthos. Sabotages, robberies, missing people, all popping up over the city, none of them by our people.

The council is getting antsy. They're beginning to think that our monopoly on the underside of the city is beginning to slip. A couple of them are even beginning to consider dissolving our deal.

Whatever this organization is, they are very good at covering their tracks. And they are quite keen to keep it that way. Earlier today, two men I ordered to investigate have been found dead in a warehouse near the docks, in a rather gruesome scene. I've made arrangements to ensure that only our eyes in the police force have been sent to the scene.

You all have made great services to the family. I had put this off - I didn't think it was worth your time. But now two good men are dead because I didn't take this seriously until today. I'm asking you to go the docks and see what there is to find. I'm asking you to uncover this organization and take them down. I'm asking you to save us, so that New Irthos can keep ticking the same way it has since the Family arrived. Any questions?"

The Boss looks at your odd group with tired eyes, waiting for a response.

JMS
2019-03-30, 06:52 PM
Nadia just nods, all fey and elegant grace. "I have quite a few questions, though many could be directed to an underling, so as to not bother you." She pauses, considering the room. "The main questions I have, Sir, are what troubles was the foe involved in, particularly what your men were investigating, and who else knows, or knew, about the men and organization? Beyond that, I have not heard of any problems in either the Enclave or lawyers, though both are very tight lipped."

Gunhaven
2019-03-30, 07:37 PM
Samus was about to say something before the doors opened, closing his mouth and heading in. He glanced at the books before he turned his full attention to their boss, hands grasped in front of him as he listened to what had happened. He frowned at the mention of two bodies and nodded at the request and question, saying "I can ask down at the docks instead of delaying your day any further. Ought to get some rest, you should."

Genth
2019-03-31, 03:30 PM
As Johnny walked in, giving the Ogre a small fist bump as he slips past, he glances around to frown at his shadow for a moment. He leans up against a bookshelf as the boss speaks, keeping his attention focused on the man, lips pressed into a slight smirk. "Seems simple enough. These asswipes wanna hide in the shadows, well, sometimes the shadows can get dangerous, y'know?" he says, chuckling darkly and eyes flicking to the others as they ask their questions. "Sparky an' me can play good cop, bad cop. Nadia s'prolly gonna trawl through records. Startin' t'see the composition of our little flying squad." he pauses, tapping a finger against his thigh. His eyes move to Divina, and in her head, his voice speaks, telepathically. *Don't look like a party darl, but at least we get t'smash some heads. If y'want, I can show you a REAL party after.*

QuadraticGish
2019-03-31, 05:34 PM
Divina listens to the boss' words intently. "Do you have the names of our boys in the force that are at the scene? It might not hurt to double check who's there in case someone extra sneaked along." she asks. "Are you supplying us anything before we leave?" As she receives the telepathic message, she glances at Johnny for a second before returning her attention to the boss.

Stevesciguy
2019-04-06, 12:27 PM
"No! Do not ask your questions of anyone but me. I need as few people to know of your investigation as possible. I can't rule out that we may have rats in the family.

The particular case they were investigating at the time was some stolen goods and sabotaged transports in one of our safe houses down by the docks. They were investigating the problem at large, although they were officially investigating only the theft and sabotage. No one should've known anything that wasn't related to that case.

As for names, we have three of our people at the scene, and they should be the only ones there. John Rodger, a human, quite well built and a stern look to 'im. Feather Taldora, Elven woman. Don't let the floofy name fool you, she's tough and keen as they come. Last one is Azhul Stonefist, a big ol' half giant. Ain't the brightest, but he's good at what he does.

I've got a couple things for you. First, some keys for a nice big van we've got down in the garage. It'll get you round the city nice and quick. Second, take these mirrors; they're enchanted, in a group of three. If you ever need to split up for some reason, they should let you talk to each other. The third mirror I have here in my desk. If you've got any questions, you'll be able to call me instead of having to drive all the way back here. I do have to sleep, so I won't be answering at night, but during the day, I'll have it on me.

You said you had some other questions? Let me have 'em, we need to be careful about this, and that includes knowin' everything you need to know. "

QuadraticGish
2019-04-09, 08:36 AM
"When did all these incidents start occurring- and how frequent?" Divinia asks. "It seems like they're trying hard to make a big show right now."

Gunhaven
2019-04-15, 08:47 AM
Samus waited for someone else to grab the items offered, standing in the same spot so as to not spread his worms any further. He does shake his head, adding "No sir, no questions for you at the moment. I do my best work when I can see the corpse, yes I do. Which one of us wants to do the driving?"

Stevesciguy
2019-06-02, 11:33 AM
"They started about six months ago. Was small things 'ere and there, couldn't connect 'em until recently, now that they've gotten more bold.

You're right, feels like they're puttin' on a show for someone. I won't pretend I know what their aims are, but we need this wrapped up quickly and quietly, before things get out of hand."

QuadraticGish
2019-06-04, 08:48 PM
Divinia thinks for a moment. "I don't think I have anymore questions right now. Anyone else have any?"