PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Effigies: Build A Bear

October31st
2019-03-23, 07:46 PM
Effigies:
Build A Bear

https://i.imgur.com/BTG1SGq.png
I have been doing a lot of Effigy based builds recently and have found that I use the same few creatures between them. However I figured these Frankensteins cannot be the only combinations. So I beseech the playgrounders for your insight into this conundrum. What can you make into effigies? They can be anything from optimized to complete memes. I will be including some of the ones that I use the most. Brownie points for providing pictures of what these monstrosities are supposed to look like <3. Please include the sources for each template and creature however, and use the given format for their stat blocks:

Size/Type:
Base Creature:
Templates:
Hit Dice:
Initiative:
Speed:
Armor Class:
Base Attack/Grapple:
Attack:
Full Attack:
Space/Reach:
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities:
Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
Abilities: Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha
Skills:
Feats:
CR:
Construction Costs:

Uncle Pine
2019-03-24, 04:03 AM
I have a couple nitpicks before we start:

Please include the sources for each template and creature however, and use the given format for their stat blocks:
Yet the two effigies listed lack such sources. I know where to find those templates, but it seems helpful to spell it out for those who don't.

The average hp for both the clawed horror and the shadow scout are incorrect: they should be 64 (5.5*8+20) and 5 respectively.

Special Attacks: An effigy loses all supernatural special attacks, spell-like abilities, and extraordinary special attacks for which a target's saving throw is based on the effigy's Constitution score (since the creature no longer has a Con score). It retains any extraordinary special attack that do not allow a saving throw (such as rake, rend, or constrict) or any for which the target's saving throw is based on the creature's Strength (such as trample) or Dexterity (such as a howler's quills).
Neither frightful presence, feed, nor smite good satisfy these requirements: the saving throw of frightful presence is Charisma-based, while both feed and smite good are supernatural, not extraordinary. As such, both the clawed horror and the shadow scout should not retain them.

Skill and feats: An effigy creature loses all skill points and all feats except for those feats that improve its attacks (such as Improved Natural Attack, Multiattack, Weapon Finesse, or Weapon Focus).
Multigrab reduces penalties to specific grapple check. Battle Jump expands tactical options by allowing vertical charges. Neither improves the creature's attacks, so the clawed horror shouldn't retain them.
Both creatures shouldn't have skill points.

I have also noticed that there's no CR listed in the suggested stat block. I know it doesn't affect crafting costs, but perhaps it'd be a useful inclusion nonetheless?

With that out of the way, did someone say bear?

'That's not what I meant!'

- Reward Willan, human effigy master

Size/Type: Large Construct
Base Creature: Bear, Brown
Templates: Flying (Savage Species), effigy (Complete Arcane)
Hit Dice: 6d10+30 (63 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), flying 50 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 18 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +7 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+20
Attack: Claw +14 melee (2d6+10)
Full Attack: 2 claws +14 melee (2d6+10) and bite +8 melee (3d6+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: DR 3/adamantine, construct traits
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 15, Con -, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (claw), Improved Natural Attack (bite), Weapon Focus (claw)
CR: 6
Construction Costs: CL 6, 11,000 gp, 480 xp

'There, it should be better now.'

- Rancis Benborough, apprentice artificer

Base Creatures: Bear, Brown; wasp swarm (Fiend Folio)
Templates: Flying (Savage Species), effigy (Complete Arcane), hivenest (Dungeonscape)
Special Attacks: Improved grab, hivenest attack (1d6 plus poison), hivenest distraction (DC 13)
Special Qualities: DR 3/adamantine, construct traits, hivedeath (1 wasp swarm)
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (claw), Improved Natural Attack (bite), Weapon Focus (claw)
CR: 7

Now wait until unseenmage notices this thread...

Snowbluff
2019-03-24, 10:17 AM
I agree about the skills being removed. However, Battle Jump also improves charge attacks by doubling the damage.

Also, everyone knows Elder Eidolons are better. :smalltongue:

unseenmage
2019-03-24, 05:52 PM
I like using octopus as zombies or effigies because they're like animated rope.

Imagine having an effigy octopus in your Handy Haversack whose sole purpose is to pass you your flask or light your pipe.

Also, there are stats for a flying monkey in a Dragon Magazine somewhere. I've used Effigies of them as base constructs for shenanigans before.

EDITS
All my old Effigy work is mothballed in a storage locker with my books and PC or contributing here would he way easier.

Assembling stat blocks from my phone is hard.

Also, I agree about including CR. For 3.P users it can be used to price the Construct and for GMs its helpful in case they want to include a creation in an adventure.

Falontani
2019-03-24, 07:44 PM
Base Creature: Dire Tortoise, Goliath
Templates: Dungeonbred / Feral, Reptilian / paragon, Tauric
Hit Dice: 15d10+210 (300 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 90 ft., 60 ft Burrow (18 squares)
Armor Class: 58 (+12 Insight, +12 Luck, +20 Natural, +4 Dex), touch 38, flat-footed 54
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+29
Attack: Claw +50 melee (2d8+38)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +50 (2d8+38)
Special Attacks: Trample, Lightning Strike, Improved Grab, Pounce, Rend, Rake
Special Qualities: Fast Healing 20, 10 Fire and Cold Resistance, Spell Resistance 39, DR 20/Epic
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +19, Will +15
Abilities: Str 47, Dex 19, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Feats: Improved Natural Attack Claw(B)
Challenge Rating: 29

Improved Grab (EX): If a feral creature hits an opponent that is at least one size category smaller than itself with a claw attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it can rake if it has that ability (see below). Alternatively, it has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use its claw to hold the opponent (–20 penalty on grapple check, but the feral creature is not considered grappled). In either case, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals claw damage. See the Monster Manual for additional rules.
Pounce (Ex): If a feral creature leaps upon a foe during the first round of combat, it can make a full attack even though it has already moved.
Rake (Ex): When this thing gets a hold it can make two rake attacks at +50 with its hind legs. Each successful attack does 2d8+42. If the feral creature pounces on an opponent, it can also rake.
Rend (Ex): A feral creature that hits with both claw attacks latches onto the opponent's body and tears the flesh. This automatically deals 4d8+69 damage.
Trample (Ex): As a full-round action, this creature with this special attack can move up to 180 ft and literally run over any opponents of Medium size or smaller. The creature merely has to move over the opponents in its path; any creature whose space is completely covered by the trampling creature’s space is subject to the trample attack.
If a target’s space is larger than 5 feet, it is only considered trampled if the trampling creature moves over all the squares it occupies. If the trampling creature moves over only some of a target’s space, the target can make an attack of opportunity against the trampling creature at a –4 penalty. A trampling creature that accidentally ends its movement in an illegal space returns to the last legal position it occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer. A trample attack deals bludgeoning damage (4d8 + 63). Trampled opponents can attempt attacks of opportunity, but these take a –4 penalty. If they do not make attacks of opportunity, trampled opponents can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage. The save DC against a creature’s trample attack is 67. A trampling creature can only deal trampling damage to each target once per round, no matter how many times its movement takes it over a target creature.
Lightning Strike (Ex): This creature can lash out very rapidly. On the first round of combat, it gets a surprise round regardless of whether it has been noticed. A creature that notices this creature is still treated as flat-footed during this round.

Construction Costs:

Also.. Octopi have a skeletal beak. This is a skeletal system, and therefore qualifies it to be animated as a skeleton. The beak is the only bone in an octopi's body usually, so it is the creature.
The octopi skeleton retains its size, attacks, and gains two claw attacks.

liquidformat
2019-03-24, 11:25 PM
So I wasn't aware you could do templates with effigies that makes them even cooler, I normally go with scorpion folk, but now adding feral seems great!

Maat Mons
2019-03-25, 12:00 AM
So I wasn't aware you could do templates with effigies that makes them even cooler, I normally go with scorpion folk, but now adding feral seems great!

May as well throw in Paragon Creature for +15 Str and Dex. I mean, it's free, after all.

ekarney
2019-03-25, 12:16 AM
I was actually totally unaware you could template onto effigy creatures, and was the main reason I often overlooked them.

I wonder how horrifying an Effigy Symbiotic creature would be. Of course the wording of the Symbiotic Creature template is a little weird treating them as two separate creatures in a lot of cases, which could get bogged down by having to create two effigy creature, then symbiotically fuse them, but then being effigies they wouldnt be able to qualify for the Symbiotic creature template.

ShurikVch
2019-03-25, 03:07 PM
Effigy?
Bear?
:smallamused:
OK!..

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/fallout_gamepedia/thumb/b/b2/GhostofShe.jpg/320px-GhostofShe.jpg?version=13bd2b3d69fbbcec29975d04eb7 3748d

Size/Type: Medium-Size Undead (Fire, Incorporeal)
Base Creature: Black Bear
Templates: Warbeast
Hit Dice: 27d12 (175 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: Fly 60 ft. (perfect)
AC: 20 (+2 Dex, +3 deflection, +5 natural), touch 15, flatfooted 18
Attacks: 2 incorporeal touches +16 melee touch
Damage: Incorporeal touch 1d6/19–20 plus 2d6 fire plus energy drain plus infuse
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Energy drain, infuse
Special Qualities: Fire subtytpe, incorporeal subtype, SR 28, undead traits
Saves: Fort +11 Ref +13,Will +20
Abilities: Str-, Dex 15, Con -, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 17
Skills: Balance +4, Escape Artist +32, Hide +32, Intimidate +33, Jump +2, Listen +35, Search +33, Spot +35, Tumble +32
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (incorporeal touch), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Run, Weapon Focus (incorporeal touch)
Construction: 16400 gp (Warbeast Black Bear + Shrouds of the Unholy (https://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x))

liquidformat
2019-03-25, 04:36 PM
Effigy?
Bear?
:smallamused:
OK!..

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/fallout_gamepedia/thumb/b/b2/GhostofShe.jpg/320px-GhostofShe.jpg?version=13bd2b3d69fbbcec29975d04eb7 3748d

Size/Type: Medium-Size Undead (Fire, Incorporeal)
Base Creature: Black Bear
Templates: Warbeast
Hit Dice: 27d12 (175 hp)
Speed: Fly 60 ft. (perfect)
AC: 20 (+2 Dex, +3 deflection, +5 natural), touch 15, flatfooted 18
Attacks: 2 incorporeal touches +16 melee touch
Damage: Incorporeal touch 1d6/19–20 plus 2d6 fire plus energy drain plus infuse
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Energy drain, infuse
Special Qualities: Fire subtytpe, incorporeal subtype, SR 28, undead traits
Saves: Fort +11 Ref +13,Will +20
Abilities: Str-, Dex 15, Con -, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 17
Skills: Balance +4, Escape Artist +32, Hide +32, Intimidate +33, Jump +2, Listen +35, Search +33, Spot +35, Tumble +32
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (incorporeal touch), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Run, Weapon Focus (incorporeal touch)
Construction: 16400 gp (Warbeast Black Bear + Shrouds of the Unholy (https://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x))

I don't think that works at all...

ShurikVch
2019-03-25, 07:07 PM
I don't think that works at all...It was, mostly, a joke; but still - why not? :smallconfused:

unseenmage
2019-03-25, 07:15 PM
On the subject of template stacking be wary as it can get out of hand easily/quickly.

In a real game once my gnome artificer built three sons. First an effigy of himself which he then hit with Incarnate Construct. This was his heir. He became a dilettante and an airship captain because reasons.

Second an effigy of his first son then Incarnated who became a cleric dedicated to guiding the spiritual growth of his fathers Construct and ex-Construct creations.

The third son was built as an effigy of the second son. Even after being Incarnate Construct-ed his strength was such that it warped his body, and his mind.

This son was jealous of his father's favor towards his brothers and embarrassed that his father stopped creating 'children' because of his deformity. So re runs away and becomes a BBEG who specializes in corrupting his father's construct creations via negative energy experimentation and use of Greater Humanoid Essence. Undead and cursed Constructs become his thing.

(And yeah the physical deformity wasn't RAW, the GM and I agreed that his Str was just SO jacked up from template stacking that he had to have some sort of physical manifestation.)

Also, the Siege Crab from one of the latter Monster Manuals makes a decent pilotable effigy. Is a giant crab with it's own built in internal compartment.

October31st
2019-03-26, 03:05 PM
I have a couple nitpicks before we start:

Yet the two effigies listed lack such sources. I know where to find those templates, but it seems helpful to spell it out for those who don't.

The average hp for both the clawed horror and the shadow scout are incorrect: they should be 64 (5.5*8+20) and 5 respectively.

Neither frightful presence, feed, nor smite good satisfy these requirements: the saving throw of frightful presence is Charisma-based, while both feed and smite good are supernatural, not extraordinary. As such, both the clawed horror and the shadow scout should not retain them.

Multigrab reduces penalties to specific grapple check. Battle Jump expands tactical options by allowing vertical charges. Neither improves the creature's attacks, so the clawed horror shouldn't retain them.
Both creatures shouldn't have skill points.

I have also noticed that there's no CR listed in the suggested stat block. I know it doesn't affect crafting costs, but perhaps it'd be a useful inclusion nonetheless?

Yeah, these statblocks were from a while ago when I first made them and hadn't removed the bugs from them. Battle Jump improves charge attacks. I also only added the racial mods iirc. The statblocks I submit to DM's when I make the creatures includes the CR. But I guess I will add it to the template.

On the subject of template stacking be wary as it can get out of hand easily/quickly.

In a real game once my gnome artificer built three sons. First an effigy of himself which he then hit with Incarnate Construct. This was his heir. He became a dilettante and an airship captain because reasons.

Second an effigy of his first son then Incarnated who became a cleric dedicated to guiding the spiritual growth of his fathers Construct and ex-Construct creations.

The third son was built as an effigy of the second son. Even after being Incarnate Construct-ed his strength was such that it warped his body, and his mind.

This son was jealous of his father's favor towards his brothers and embarrassed that his father stopped creating 'children' because of his deformity. So re runs away and becomes a BBEG who specializes in corrupting his father's construct creations via negative energy experimentation and use of Greater Humanoid Essence. Undead and cursed Constructs become his thing.

(And yeah the physical deformity wasn't RAW, the GM and I agreed that his Str was just SO jacked up from template stacking that he had to have some sort of physical manifestation.)

Also, the Siege Crab from one of the latter Monster Manuals makes a decent pilotable effigy. Is a giant crab with it's own built in internal compartment.

I kind of intended this post to bring out the theory-crafted stuff and the stuff that would be passable in an actual campaign. I am trying to get some ideas of goofy effigies to make, and find some interesting template combinations to use.

Uncle Pine
2019-03-26, 03:26 PM
Battle Jump improves charge attacks.
My take is it doesn't: all it does is giving you additional options when it comes to initiating a charge, and then provides some bonuses in those specific cases - much like Martial Study would, for example. For a feat to count as improving attacks, it should instead directly improve them.

October31st
2019-03-26, 04:32 PM
Using some of the ideas I saw you guys use, I have made this monstrosity:

https://i.imgur.com/Lq9d2KE.jpg
"So I heard you like mechs..."
~Viktor Brevain, artificer

Size/Type: Gargantuan Construct
Base Creature: Siege Crab (MM3)
Templates: Feral (SS), Winged (SS), Paragon Creature (EH), Effigy (CA)
Hit Dice: 20d10+60 (260 HP)
Speed: 210 ft., swim 180 ft., fly 270 ft.
Armor Class: 69 (-4 size, +6 dex, +25 natural, +10 deflection, +12 insight, +12 luck) TAC 44, FFA 63
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/ +34
Attack: Claw +59 melee (4d6+29)
Full Attack: 4 claws +59 melee (4d6+29)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Constrict , improved grab, trample , Pounce, Rake, Rend
Special Qualities: Shielded Compartment, Damage Reduction 10/adamantine
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +11
Abilities: Str 49, Dex 23, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: Swim +28
Feats: Great Cleave; Power Attack
CR: 34
Construction Costs: CL 20, Cost 45000gp, EXP 1600, Time 45 days

Shielded Compartment (Ex): Much of the interior tissue of a siege crab has been surgically removed and replaced with a sealed compartment for passengers or cargo. The compartment is accessed by a ventral hatch, and is air- and watertight. Water-breathing creatures using a siege crab can flood the compartment with seawater, while air-breathing creatures keep the chamber filled with air. The passenger space is about 10 feet by 10 feet by 10 feet; it can hold 1 large creature or 4 Medium or Small creatures.

Creatures riding within a siege crab's inner chamber have cover and concealment from opponents outside the crab when the hatch is open. While it is sealed, they instead have total cover and total concealment. The hatch is 10 feet in diameter, and the chamber's occupants can make ranged attacks from within the crab while it is open. Opening or closing the hatch is a standard action for an adjacent creature.

The death of a siege crab does not compromise the cover or concealment of passengers within its shell. However, since the crab's death usually results in it collapsing on its belly, it is difficult for occupants to exit through the hatch. Creatures trapped within the crab's carcass must cut through the tough carapace to escape; the shell has hardness 15, and breaking through it requires dealing it 30 points of damage from a slashing weapon.

Note: the effigy template says it removes all Special Qualities, however this is a physical part of the crab, so I don't really see how this
would be actually removed. If this does get removed, then the entire idea just kinda falls apart.

With that out of the way, did someone say bear?

'That's not what I meant!'

- Reward Willan, human effigy master

Base Creature: Bear, Brown
Templates: Flying (Savage Species), effigy (Complete Arcane)
Special Qualities: DR 3/adamantine, construct traits
CR: 6
Construction Costs: CL 6, 11,000 gp, 480 xp

'There, it should be better now.'

- Rancis Benborough, apprentice artificer

Base Creatures: Bear, Brown; wasp swarm (Fiend Folio)
Templates: Flying (Savage Species), effigy (Complete Arcane), hivenest (Dungeonscape)
Special Attacks: Improved grab, hivenest attack (1d6 plus poison), hivenest distraction (DC 13)
Special Qualities: DR 3/adamantine, construct traits, hivedeath (1 wasp swarm)

Now wait until unseenmage notices this thread...

I see your "bugbear" and raise you this bugbear

https://i.imgur.com/dUt6pWm.jpg
"Now THIS is a bug bear!"
~Viktor Brevain, artificer

Base Creature: Brown Bear (MM)
Templates: Insectile (SS), Winged (SS), Effigy (CA)
Hit Dice: 6d10+30 (63)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft., climb 40 ft., fly 60 ft.
Armor Class: 21 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +9 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+14
Attack: Claw +15 melee (2d6+10)
Full Attack: 2 claws +15 melee (2d6+10) and bite +7 melee (3d6+5)
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Damage Reduction 3/adamantine
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 19, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: Swim +4
Construction Costs: CL 6, Cost 11000gp, EXP 480, Time 11 days

Uncle Pine
2019-03-26, 06:05 PM
Sadly the insectile template doesn't work with (winged) bears, which is why I opted for wings only.

There's the arachnoid template from Underdark, but that's not a bug either. It's not like insectile gives a stinger attack anyway, so it's not a huge loss.

Maat Mons
2019-03-26, 06:39 PM
How about an Effigy Paragon Lolth-Touched Feral Cat? It only costs 1,500 gp, and its full attack is 2 claws +23 melee (1d2+32) and bite +18 melee (1d3+25). Yeah, it only has 2 hp. Cast a spell on it that gives temporary hp.

liquidformat
2019-03-26, 10:41 PM
How about an Effigy Paragon Lolth-Touched Feral Cat? It only costs 1,500 gp, and its full attack is 2 claws +23 melee (1d2+32) and bite +18 melee (1d3+25). Yeah, it only has 2 hp. Cast a spell on it that gives temporary hp.

I feel like you need shadow creature or something like that on there too... I often play with a clockwork mender as a flying assassin of doom it works out nicely.

October31st
2019-03-29, 04:17 PM
Sadly the insectile template doesn't work with (winged) bears, which is why I opted for wings only.

There's the arachnoid template from Underdark, but that's not a bug either. It's not like insectile gives a stinger attack anyway, so it's not a huge loss.

How doesn't it work? I must be overlooking something if that's the case.