PDA

View Full Version : DM Help whip attack radius?

Rockbeard
2019-03-24, 10:22 AM
so the d&d 3.5 whip has a reach of 15 ft. does anyone have a link or can properly explain what this looks like on the grid. one of my players is using a whip and i think everyone at the table may have the dimensions wrong, including me.

character is medium size.
using medium size whip with 15 ft reach.
we know the obvious 3 squares forward, back, and side to side. its the diagonal that is stumping us.
i mean is it just out right a full on 15 square or is there parts it doesn't reach.

thank you for your time on this matter.

SirNibbles
2019-03-24, 10:33 AM
"Diagonals
When measuring distance, the first diagonal counts as 1 square, the second counts as 2 squares, the third counts as 1, the fourth as 2, and so on."

So 15' is 2 squares on the diagonal.

Rockbeard
2019-03-24, 11:14 AM
"Diagonals
When measuring distance, the first diagonal counts as 1 square, the second counts as 2 squares, the third counts as 1, the fourth as 2, and so on."

So 15' is 2 squares on the diagonal.

ah see that helps a lot thanks.
i for some reason thought the two square count only counted on movement, and wasn't sure on attacking diagonally.

zergling.exe
2019-03-24, 11:32 AM
ah see that helps a lot thanks.
i for some reason thought the two square count only counted on movement, and wasn't sure on attacking diagonally.

There is a special rule that 10 feet of reach is 2 squares diagonally. But that is only for the first diagonal, the rest are 15 feet for 2 squares. This is to give large creatures and small/medium creatures with reach weapons a complete ring of threat that can't slipped between by approaching from a corner.

Mike Miller
2019-03-24, 11:35 AM
There is a special rule that 10 feet of reach is 2 squares diagonally. But that is only for the first diagonal, the rest are 15 feet for 2 squares. This is to give large creatures and small/medium creatures with reach weapons a complete ring of threat that can't slipped between by approaching from a corner.

Is that on the srd?

SirNibbles
2019-03-24, 12:02 PM
"Note: Small and Medium creatures wielding reach weapons threaten all squares 10 feet (2 squares) away, even diagonally. (This is an exception to the rule that 2 squares of diagonal distance is measured as 15 feet.)" - SRD

zergling.exe
2019-03-24, 01:32 PM
Is that on the srd?

"Note: Small and Medium creatures wielding reach weapons threaten all squares 10 feet (2 squares) away, even diagonally. (This is an exception to the rule that 2 squares of diagonal distance is measured as 15 feet.)" - SRD

The part about large creatures was removed in the SRD, but it is on page 149 of the PHB, "Big and Little Creatures in Combat"

GunbladeKnight
2019-03-26, 02:19 AM
This is my own crude representation, but the whip radius should look like this:

https://gyazo.com/feb07f7466694e37ed00b9566b7df1bf

Also, remember these things about the whip (unless they have some other ability):
- It provokes when wielded
- It doesn't threaten any squares
- It deals no damage to targets with either at least +1 armor or +3 natural armor
- It deals non-lethal damage

Honestly, the whip is an extremely lackluster weapon, and just all around worse than a spiked-chain.

DrMotives
2019-03-27, 08:35 PM
This is my own crude representation, but the whip radius should look like this:

https://gyazo.com/feb07f7466694e37ed00b9566b7df1bf

Also, remember these things about the whip (unless they have some other ability):
- It provokes when wielded
- It doesn't threaten any squares
- It deals no damage to targets with either at least +1 armor or +3 natural armor
- It deals non-lethal damage

Honestly, the whip is an extremely lackluster weapon, and just all around worse than a spiked-chain.

Well, there is in Sword & Fist the whip dagger. For feat & proficiency purposes, it's the same weapon. But it doesn't have the last 2 of your drawbacks that a normal whip has. Base damage 1d6, threatens on a 19+, lethal damage, and explicitly doesn't have the +1/+3 armor stipulation of a normal whip. It still has the first 2 problems, because it is a kinda-ranged kinda-reach weapon, instead of working exactly like a normal reach weapon. Whips are mechanically really weird.