PDA

View Full Version : Summon Monster/Ally with Disable Device and Trapfinding?

Elkad
2019-03-24, 01:35 PM
Is there a creature on a summon list with decent Disable Device and Trapfinding?

I realize the old celestial monkey trick works in many cases.

The Glyphstone
2019-03-24, 03:31 PM
I don't think any summon lists allow you to summon something with class levels, which is IIRC the only way to get Trapfinding.

Eldariel
2019-03-24, 03:37 PM
I don't think any summon lists allow you to summon something with class levels, which is IIRC the only way to get Trapfinding.

There are some things with class levels on the lists (Summon Nature's Ally has Celestial Charger Unicorn which is basically a level 7 Cleric for example), but nothing with Trapfinding as such. Though the mentioned Celestial Charger could theoretically cast Find Traps I suppose. But it's also SNAIX.

heavyfuel
2019-03-25, 10:16 AM
I never really got the Celestial Monkey trick. Is it ordering the monkey to run along and trigger as many (1) traps as possible before it dies?

Eldariel
2019-03-25, 10:46 AM
I never really got the Celestial Monkey trick. Is it ordering the monkey to run along and trigger as many (1) traps as possible before it dies?

Summon a monkey and have it use/open/touch everything possible triggering all the traps on the way. A fast'n'simple, if not very reliable way of getting traps triggered at least once. It's a medium bipedish so traps interact with it much as with humans (and it can use/touch stuff).

Jack_Simth
2019-03-25, 01:39 PM
Summon a monkey and have it use/open/touch everything possible triggering all the traps on the way. A fast'n'simple, if not very reliable way of getting traps triggered at least once. It's a medium bipedish so traps interact with it much as with humans (and it can use/touch stuff).

It's also on the Summon Monster I list, so goes well on a wand at higher CL. I generally prefer the Summon Elemental reserve feat, or polymorph on Mount, for the purpose.

You might be able to get something via Planar Binding, though. There are low or no HD Outsiders who advance by class levels.