PDA

View Full Version : Question about Magus' "Broad Study" Arcana

BlueWitch
2019-03-24, 05:14 PM
The Broad Study Arcana lets you use Spell Combat with spells from other Classes, so long as their casting time is only a Standard Action.

So my question is does Swordsage count? Doing a maneuver at the end of a Spell Combat would be pretty rad.

(Unrelated but...) For gestalt I want to see if I can work my way toward:
Accurate Strike + Avalanche of Blades + TWF

Crake
2019-03-24, 08:04 PM
Spell combat is it's own action, you can, as a full round action, both cast a spell in your offhand, and attack with your full BAB routine with your mainhand, all at a -2 penalty for any attack rolls done with either your main hand weapon, or touch attacks done with the spell hand. Thus, you cannot use a strike maneuver that requires a standard action to activate, though you could use a swift action boost to augment your main hand weapon attacks.

If you are instead referring to an arcane swordsage, the hypothetical class variation that is vaguely laid out, it states that the spells are "cast" as if they were maneuvers, meaning that they still cannot be used in spell combat in leiu of a spell.

BlueWitch
2019-03-24, 10:53 PM
Spell combat is it's own action, you can, as a full round action, both cast a spell in your offhand, and attack with your full BAB routine with your mainhand, all at a -2 penalty for any attack rolls done with either your main hand weapon, or touch attacks done with the spell hand. Thus, you cannot use a strike maneuver that requires a standard action to activate, though you could use a swift action boost to augment your main hand weapon attacks.

If you are instead referring to an arcane swordsage, the hypothetical class variation that is vaguely laid out, it states that the spells are "cast" as if they were maneuvers, meaning that they still cannot be used in spell combat in leiu of a spell.

Aww nuts, that's too bad. :Y
But yeah I was talking about the Tome of Battle Class not the variation.

Well anyways, thanks for answering! ^^