PDA

View Full Version : DM Help More Reasonable Revenant

Dr. Cliché
2019-03-24, 06:04 PM
I've got a player who'd like to play a Revenant character in my campaign.

Now, that archetype certainly fits well into the world, but we've looked at the template and it seems very overpowered (auto-heal up to half-life, auto-revive if killed, basically know the location of anyone relevant to your quest etc.).

Does anyone know of a more reasonable Revenant template? One he could play without being omniscient and immortal?

(I'm open to homebrew stuff.)

Alternatively, does anyone know of a race that I could refluff as a Revenant?

For reference, this is the current Revenant template:
http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf

stoutstien
2019-03-24, 06:27 PM
I've got a player who'd like to play a Revenant character in my campaign.

Now, that archetype certainly fits well into the world, but we've looked at the template and it seems very overpowered (auto-heal up to half-life, auto-revive if killed, basically know the location of anyone relevant to your quest etc.).

Does anyone know of a more reasonable Revenant template? One he could play without being omniscient and immortal?

(I'm open to homebrew stuff.)

Alternatively, does anyone know of a race that I could refluff as a Revenant?

For reference, this is the current Revenant template:
http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf
A long death monk mechanically fits

CTurbo
2019-03-24, 08:06 PM
I don't think the Revenant is THAT overpowered. Regaining 1 hp per turn is not really THAT great. To balance it out you could claim that the Revenant cannot benefit from Divine Healing. Coming back to life takes 24 hours so that's an entire day missed which also means the party cannot travel more than a mile away from where you died during that time or they lose you. (or you have to catch up to them). The biggest issue I see is always knowing the distance of your enemy. I could see nerfing that to where you always know the direction, but not the distance.

I could see making any subrace work with no issues.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-03-24, 08:34 PM
The 5E Homebrew Wiki has a Revenant Background. I rather like the idea of using a Background for a Revenant rather than a racial template; it works for any race and it doesn't involve any "kewl powerz" that might unbalance the character. See if this will work for you:

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Revenant_(5e_Background)

DarkKnightJin
2019-03-25, 01:10 AM
I'd say 'nerf' the radar thing into knowing the direction, and leave the rest as is.
I've had a Revenant PC, and they weren't any more 'OP' than the class would've been with another race option.

The whole point of a Revenant is that they're never going to stop until they complete their unfinished business. You can 'kill' them, but it's only going to slow them down a bit.

And, as said, it takes 24 hours for them to get back up after being slain. That's a MASSIVE timeloss.