PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best Mount

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-03-24, 08:56 PM
I am planning on teaming up with one of my friends for one of our upcoming campaigns. The original concept was for him to play a fighter, and for him to use me as his mount. The DM suspects that we will be starting out the campaign at level 2, but that doesn't matter much. My friend was originally planning on playing a fighter, eventually leveling into Cavalier, to most efficiently optimize mounted damage, and I was originally planning on playing a Druid, wild-shaping into his mount.

The catch is, he would not be able to ride me until I was level 8, because that is when I can wild shape into a creature large enough for him to ride me. I was wondering if I should go with my original plan, choosing a horse as my animal companion until level 8, then wild-shaping into a Fleshraker, whilst switching my animal companion out for a different animal, probably either a wolf, or a flying creature.

My DM initially suggested playing a Centaur, but I know nothing about the race, and I'm not sure if it would be a good idea. Another player suggested that I play a Dracotaur, but I'm pretty sure he's pulling my leg on that one.

I was wondering I there were any other ways to play his mount any earlier, or if I should focus on optimizing a normal druid.

Particle_Man
2019-03-24, 09:06 PM
Centaurs and half-dragon centaurs have only two problems: racial hit dice and level adjustment.

liquidformat
2019-03-24, 10:36 PM
So Centaur can be a good choice, races of the wild gives savage progressions so you don't need to figure out how to break it down to a ecl2. Also I beleieve Races of Faerun lets you take mounted feats and have them function even though you aren't mounted as a centaur, Races of the Wild has Centaur Trample. Looking at the Centaur compared to the dracotaur I would go with the Centaur, firstly because dracotaur gets almost the same stuff as centaur but 2 extra la, also it can't get the mounted feats without dm approval unlike the centaur. Beyond those you could look at something a bit more strange, a unicorn could be an interesting choice they are pretty powerful and have enough going for them to be ok for their ecl.

Over all the druid might be a better more powerful choice though a few comments, one if the fighter is medium sized he won't be able to ride a Fleshraker, also pretty much every mounted prc is worse if you are riding another pc since you are now ignoring the mount you get as part of said prc.

Darrin
2019-03-25, 05:08 PM
If your friend is small-sized (gnome fighter or barb is decent), then it's easier to be a medium-sized mount at low levels. For example, a 1st level Druid can cast aspect of the wolf (Spell Compendium) to act as a mount. Only lasts 10 min/CL, but you can cast it twice a day at 1st level.

RNightstalker
2019-03-28, 05:08 PM
If you can't get the mount thing to work, have your friend train a battletitan (MMIII 38).

MisterKaws
2019-03-28, 05:41 PM
Mulhorandi Divine Minion is LA +1 only, and you can get infinite Wild Shape to a Lion or something else large enough.

CharonsHelper
2019-03-29, 05:40 PM
Just have him play a halfling riding you as a dwarf. He just takes a -4 ride penalty for you being an exotic mount, and then you don't have to worry about fighting in places where a mount can't normally fit.

The height of a halfling on a dwarf would be the same as a tall character, and obviously the dwarf can walk anywhere that the other characters can.

You don't even have to go druid to make it work. Go with a barbarian or a monk for the extra movement speed!