PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Appropriate? Magic Dagger +1 that gives alternatively +1 AC

Wasp
2019-03-25, 08:05 AM
Hi everyone
How would you phrase the abilities for the following magic item? And would you say this would be an appropriate magic item for a rogue in 1st tier? For other classes? Or is it too “specific” as loot for anyone but a swashbuckler?

Dagger of Bravado
When using the Dagger of Bravado in your off hand, any rapier carried in your main hand counts as a light weapon.

Every turn you can decide if you want to use the Dagger of Bravado for attack or defense: If you use it for attack it counts as a Dagger +1, if you use it for defense it gives you +1 to AC until your next turn.

What do you think?

LibraryOgre
2019-03-25, 08:22 AM
I think it's perfectly reasonable; it's a less powerful version of a Defender sword (not sure if those are in this edition), and a good option for anyone who likes light weapons. I can also see them being really popular with wizards, for example.

Wasp
2019-03-25, 09:27 AM
I think it's perfectly reasonable; it's a less powerful version of a Defender sword (not sure if those are in this edition), and a good option for anyone who likes light weapons. I can also see them being really popular with wizards, for example.

Thanks, so I should probably base this a bit more on the Defender

Dagger of Bravado

Requires Attunement

When using the Dagger of Bravado in your off hand, any rapier carried in your main hand counts as a light weapon.

You gain a +1 bonus to Attack and Damage Rolls made with this Magic Weapon.

Before you attack the first time on each of your turns, you can transfer the dagger's +1 bonus to Attack and Damage Rolls to your Armor Class and gain a +1 bonus to AC, instead of using the bonus on any attack and damage rolls that turn. The adjusted bonus remains in effect until the start of your next turn, although you must hold the dagger to gain the bonus to AC from it.

JNAProductions
2019-03-25, 11:42 AM
Seems fine to me. Helps for style points, and also helps Dual-Wielding Fighters or Paladins or anyone else who gets Extra Attack more than Rogues.

Compared to a dual Short Sword Rogue, the base DPR is exactly the same. (1d8+1d4=7 on average, 2d6=7 on average.) But for someone with Extra Attack, it increases slightly. (2d8+1d4=11.5 on average, 3d6=10.5 on average.) By far the most value will be the +1 AC, methinks, and having a magic weapon.

But I doubt it'll break anything-seems fluffy, fun, and reasonably well balanced.

Wasp
2019-03-26, 08:15 AM
Seems fine to me. Helps for style points, and also helps Dual-Wielding Fighters or Paladins or anyone else who gets Extra Attack more than Rogues.

Compared to a dual Short Sword Rogue, the base DPR is exactly the same. (1d8+1d4=7 on average, 2d6=7 on average.) But for someone with Extra Attack, it increases slightly. (2d8+1d4=11.5 on average, 3d6=10.5 on average.) By far the most value will be the +1 AC, methinks, and having a magic weapon.

But I doubt it'll break anything-seems fluffy, fun, and reasonably well balanced.
That is so good to hears. Phew. Thank you very much. I'll keep it then as it is.