PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e/PF: Obscure CL tricks?

ezekielraiden
2019-03-25, 10:38 AM
Through a wide variety of means, some campaign-specific and others not, I've gotten a pretty high caster level. But I'm curious if I've captured all the neat little (official) tricks out there. While PrC CL boosters exist, I'm pretty well locked into my build, so I'm mostly only interested in feats, items (permanent or consumable), spells, or other non-class-feature effects. We are at Epic levels, but strict enforcement of the epic spell development rules (and using 3.5e XP/level rather than PF XP/level) means I don't actually have any epic spells yet (and my first is going to an important but mostly-fluff thing).

We're using a gestalt, hybrid 3.PF system: preference goes to PF rules whenever there's a conflict, with rare exceptions. I have some campaign/character-specific bonuses on top of the listed things below, this is just official material. I welcome any published 3.5e or PF book for suggestions--you can also mention dragon mag stuff if other people might benefit, but it won't be useful to me. For those curious, this build is an Int SAD Druid(Menhir Savant)/Wizard(Exploiter) with Planar Shepherd, Geomancer, and Archmage, plus some of the Librim Eternia content. (All approved by my DM already, of course.)

Raw caster level: 21

"Permanent" bonuses:
+1 Extended create magic tattoo (48 hr duration, so it's effectively always up)
+1 Archmage spell power high arcana
+1 orange prism ioun stone
+1 ring of arcane might

Contextual bonuses to full CL:
+3 Geomancer ley lines (if in attuned terrain)
+1 Menhir Savant place magic (uses/day)
+1 Exploiter Wizard exploit (uses/day; sadly, didn't have room for Potent Magic :smallfrown:)
+4 bead of karma (10 min, once/day, triggered by divine casting)
+2 spell enhancer spell (next spell this round)
+2 shaman's paint (https://www.aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Shaman%27s%20pa int) (alchemical; must target 1+ allies; ability damage if used longer than 10min/day)
+1 anointing oil (https://www.aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Anointing%20oil ) (per spell, harmless divine spells only, full-round cast time)

Other miscellaneous things, usually only affecting specific applications of CL:
Nethys's dagger (https://www.aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Nethys%27s%20da gger) (+1 alchemical vs SR), dweomer's essence (https://www.aonprd.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Dweomer%27s%20 Essence) (+5 vs SR), various consumable reagents and alchemical power components (https://www.aonprd.com/AlchemicalReagents.aspx) (varied effects), esoteric material components (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/esoteric-material-components/) (varied effects), Sorcerer's spirits (https://www.aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Sorcerer%27s%20 spirits) (duration/range only, 1 hr, negative side-effects), Varisian idols (https://www.aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Varisian%20idol ) (various effects).

It may be a little excessive to try to squeeze out more, but...well, I'm trying to help as much as I can. Being heavily Conj/Trans-focused, higher CL usually means better effects for everyone, not just me.

Cavir
2019-03-25, 11:59 AM
There are Reserve Feats which also boosts CL. Summon Elemental for +1 CL on summoning spells. At will Summon Large elemental at your level is nice too.

Eldariel
2019-03-25, 12:32 PM
This compilation may be of interest to you (https://web.archive.org/web/20101223035914/http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level) (couldn't find a non-archived version quick enough but there's one to be sure).

Recherché
2019-03-25, 01:35 PM
Dunno if this would stack but these robes (http://www.pathfindercommunity.net/magic-items/wondrous-items/robes-of-xin-shalast) give a +1 CL

Bphill561
2019-03-25, 10:05 PM
Fell Energy Spell from dragon #312 and the Dragon compendium is very helpful. It is a +1 level metamagic adjustment that causes a spell to increase all numerical bonuses by +2 for undead creatures. Mix this with the level 2 spell shroud of undead (spell compendium) or Kiss of the Vampire level 7 (spell compendium) that make you count as undead for purposes of spells and effects.

Now your create magic tattoo is a +3. I find this to be more useful with all the other spell buffs you can apply this too.

magic9mushroom
2019-03-25, 11:27 PM
Persistent Consumptive Field/Greater Consumptive Field is a notorious booster. Chaining between the two can get arbitrarily-high CL, though it's a good way to get a DMG thrown at you. Also, they're [Evil] spells that rely on murdering things, so, y'know.

If you're at Epic, I'd suggest taking a close look at the Epic PrC called Cosmic Descryer. Its "capstone" (at least, insofar as it's the last ability unlocked; obviously, the PrC goes on forever) is a neat little (Su) self-buff called Cosmic Connection that lasts 1 min/class level, gives you a couple of minor benefits, and lets you damage yourself for boosts to any action (attack rolls, saves, checks) or to CL. It's 5 damage per point of bonus (to a single action or spell), which is a bit steep, but there is no cap on how far you can boost it besides the whole "dying from loss of hit points" thing. Now, Cosmic Connection by itself obviously isn't enough to make the PrC worthwhile, but Superior Planar Summoning is rather powerful as well and the feat progression isn't too bad (particularly for someone like your character, who probably doesn't have any completed PrCs/classes to extend for bonus feat progression). It is half-casting, though, so your CL outside Cosmic Connection will suffer somewhat.

Firebug
2019-03-25, 11:42 PM
Slot that Ioun Stone in a Wayfinder asap.
Currently you are at +1.
Slotted the resonance bonus is 1d4-2 +1 = 1d4-1.
1 in 4 chance to be worse than you currently have.
1 in 4 chance to be the same.
2 in 4 chance to be better.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-26, 12:38 AM
Oh, there are so, so many of these, I'm not even sure I can list them all.

A dip in spellthief + Master Spellthief, plus mind mage (or three levels in illithid savant) for Twin Wells, Same Source. This is especially scary if you're gestalt, like you appear to be. Combine with psionic manifesting class dips and Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) to boost all of your MLs up to your HD before additional boosts, before adding them all together several times via the above.

The red wizard's magic circle. The paragon creature's (Sp/Ps+Magic Mantle) bonus. The ankh of ascension (MIC). Orange ioun stone. Ring of arcane might. The sublime chord's song of arcane power. Psiotheurgist (Dragon #349).

There're more, but they're usually fairly limited, and some are very obscure.

magic9mushroom
2019-03-26, 01:31 AM
Oh, there are so, so many of these, I'm not even sure I can list them all.

A dip in spellthief + Master Spellthief, plus mind mage (or three levels in illithid savant) for Twin Wells, Same Source. This is especially scary if you're gestalt, like you appear to be. Combine with psionic manifesting class dips and Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) to boost all of your MLs up to your HD before additional boosts, before adding them all together several times via the above.

The red wizard's magic circle. The paragon creature's (Sp/Ps+Magic Mantle) bonus. The ankh of ascension (MIC). Orange ioun stone. Ring of arcane might. The sublime chord's song of arcane power. Psiotheurgist (Dragon #349).

There're more, but they're usually fairly limited, and some are very obscure.

Did you miss the part where he's already epic? Nonepic PrCs are pointless here because an epic feat progression is just so important.

Also, Mind Mage is of dubious legality due to predating EPH. It makes clear reference to 3.0 psionic stuff that was done away with or significantly altered. It doesn't completely break if used as-is, no (though some of its abilities do, like the one that references Heighten Power), but it's more than a little dodgy.

Segev
2019-03-26, 09:40 AM
Wild Mage causes you to lower your CL by 3 for all spells cast, but then rolls 1d6 and adds the result to his CL every time he casts a spell, putting him between normal CL-2 and normal CL+3. Much like the trick that gets you 1d4-1. If these were your only tricks and you weren't using classes that lower your CL below your HD, I'd recommend Practiced Spellcaster to go with it, since it adds 4 to your CL, but only as long as that doesn't bring your CL above your HD. With the -3 from Wild MAge and the -1 from that other trick, Practiced MAnifester would exactly counter them, keeping your CL equal to your HD. Thus, the +1d6 and +1d4 are pure bonus to CL!

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-03-26, 09:55 AM
Arcane thesis, it may be a feat, but it gives a CL +2 on one specific spell with no additional cost. It might be a bit useless when you want to cast multiple spells, but I always give all of my wizards an arcane thesis fireball at level 6, giving them a little boost

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-26, 10:01 AM
Arcane thesis, it may be a feat, but it gives a CL +2 on one specific spell with no additional cost. It might be a bit useless when you want to cast multiple spells, but I always give all of my wizards an arcane thesis fireball at level 6, giving them a little boostYou can always apply Arcane Thesis to spells that allow you to cast other spells, such as wish/limited wish/miracle, various shadow spells, greater/arcane fusion (probably with some way of adding it to your wizard spell list, since sorcerers find it difficult to qualify), and so on.

Scrollreader
2019-03-26, 02:07 PM
Elder Giant Magic (FEAT: Secrets of Xendrik 135)
Suffer the Flesh (SPELL: Magic of Eberron 103)

There are more, of course. But these are moderately hidden, and good for +8.

Pippin
2019-03-26, 02:24 PM
The Sanctified One PrC has the following entry.

Sanctified Spell (Ex): Once per day, you can increase your effective caster level by an amount equal to your Intelligence bonus (if any) for 1 round.
Assuming Consumptive Field doesn't stack with Greater Consumptive Field, it's the only way I know that can boost your effective CL arbitrarily high. But to do that, you need to boost your Intelligence score arbitrarily high beforehand. And to do that permanently, you need Extract Gift. Which in turn requires an arbitrarily high effective CL. I don't know how to solve this.

ezekielraiden
2019-03-26, 11:44 PM
Elder Giant Magic (FEAT: Secrets of Xendrik 135)
Suffer the Flesh (SPELL: Magic of Eberron 103)

There are more, of course. But these are moderately hidden, and good for +8.

Oh, good find! Will strongly consider the feat. I don't really have the ready access to Con damage removal to be depending on Suffer the Flesh, but I'll at least look into adding it to my spellbook just in case.

thethird
2019-03-27, 02:40 AM
Oh, good find! Will strongly consider the feat. I don't really have the ready access to Con damage removal to be depending on Suffer the Flesh, but I'll at least look into adding it to my spellbook just in case.

Persist the spell, use a rod of bodily restoration.

ezekielraiden
2019-03-27, 06:50 AM
Persist the spell, use a rod of bodily restoration.

Ah-ha, somehow I misread it as only working for one spell, not having a duration of 1 round. Yes, this is excellent...because I'm also using (with DM approval, subject to actual constraints at least in combat) PF's Sacred Geometry, alongside 3.5e's (waaaaaaay better) Persistent Spell. So yeah, just gotta grab a second RoBR because it only restores up to 8 points in one go, but this will literally double my daily "always on" CL bonus, and with the feat (so probably only during buff times), triple it (+2 equipment, +1 spell power, +1 magic tattoo, +5 suffer the flesh, +3 feat) and get me well past gaining effectively 2 CL per HD.

Also, standard Cosmic Descryer is good, but it's been replaced with the Librim Eternia one. Still nice, but no infinite CL anymore. (I have in fact actually got a level of it, because it's the most Planariffic of the LE caster PrCs. DM was even nice enough to give it a small boost--the full Planar Infusion feat chain, and allowing changing which plane you're infused with after some effort--so I'm quite happy with it.)

Can't wait for level 22. I'll be able to wild shape as a Solar legit, with all its SQ, EX, SLA, and SU abilities (other epic gestalt side is Librim Eternia High Proselytizer, + Essence of Faith feat + Planar Shepherd and some other shenanigans.) That makes for an unmatched safe form to run around in.

And I'm still pretty sure I won't be the most grossly optimized character in the group. It's nice to have the ceiling so high that you can play around with almost anything.