PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Houserules Collection: are these a 3 or an 18? Item 3

lucky9
2019-03-25, 12:30 PM
I will be posting one change, or group of changes, at a time to hopefully allow for a little more discussion/ tweaks/ general thoughts, if you would be so kind:smallsmile:

A note before starting: I am aware that this edition is.. unstable, especially at higher levels. My rules don't necessarily aim to completely eliminate that issue, too large a task. What I'm going for is general playability, a certain feel I have about things, and of course, fun for all players including those running muggles. With that said, do let me know if I've horribly broken anything. Also, feel free to ask for any clarification.

Third and final General Rules tweak:
Creatures may move into and share spaces occupied by another creature two or more size categories larger or smaller than them, not three.

Monsters with the Snatch feat may grab creatures two or more size categories smaller than them, not three.
Another vague idea about "verisimilitude." Just picturing real world scenarios: an adult (medium) and a child (small) easily fit into and maneuver in the same 5ft./sq. space. So, any space large enough for a large sized creature should be able to accommodate a small creature, no? Also take saaay, a crocodile (large?) snatching a gazelle (medium?). So again, a large creature should theoretically be able to pick up a small I think... Any unforeseen consequences of this one?

nonsi
2019-03-25, 04:11 PM
I will be posting one change, or group of changes, at a time to hopefully allow for a little more discussion/ tweaks/ general thoughts, if you would be so kind:smallsmile:

A note before starting: I am aware that this edition is.. unstable, especially at higher levels. My rules don't necessarily aim to completely eliminate that issue, too large a task. What I'm going for is general playability, a certain feel I have about things, and of course, fun for all players including those running muggles. With that said, do let me know if I've horribly broken anything. Also, feel free to ask for any clarification.

Creatures may move into and share spaces occupied by another creature two or more size categories larger or smaller than them, not three.

Monsters with the Snatch feat may grab creatures two or more size categories smaller than them, not three.
Another vague idea about "verisimilitude." Just picturing real world scenarios: an adult (medium) and a child (small) easily fit into and maneuver in the same 5ft./sq. space. So, any space large enough for a large sized creature should be able to accommodate a small creature, no? Also take saaay, a crocodile (large?) snatching a gazelle (medium?). So again, a large creature should theoretically be able to pick up a small I think... Any unforeseen consequences of this one?

Very nice.
If it's OK by you, I'll adopt this one for my overhaul project.

lucky9
2019-03-25, 10:00 PM
Very nice.
If it's OK by you, I'll adopt this one for my overhaul project.
By all means! Let me know how it goes if it ever hits a playtest with you:)

Ashtagon
2019-03-26, 08:56 AM

That adult/child in one five-foot square analogy misses an important point: They aren't trying to kill each other. Core D&D already recognises that more than one person can fit in a single "square" if they are friendly (or even just randos in a crowd/mob situation). But when they are hostile to each other, the game defaults to giving them more space because that space is assumed to be taken up by the characters moving around jockeying for position, feinting, and dodging attacks.