PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Favourite Enemy Spells

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-25, 12:45 PM
For creating humanoid enemies, what are your go to spells? What are your favourite spells and features to sell an archetype?

When creating class-like enemies, some things are a given. A ranger uses a ranged weapon, a fighter has a sword and a shield, a rogue has sneak attack and a barbarian rages. But what about spellcasters? If the enemy is a psychic arcanist, how to you get the point across to your players? How about a Necromancer? Or a non-healing divine spellcaster, or a druid focusing on battlefield control? How to you really hammer it home in a combat encounter?

I'm aiming to get more spells into my encounters. But not simple made-up stuff, I want the players to see the spell's they themselves can cast, in action.

I'm thinking about just giving some of the enemies a single spell slot, for some oomph to our encounters, but I'm afraid that if I just pick the most powerful spells, I'll kill someone xD.
Besides, many spells are simply un-fun when used against you.

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-25, 12:50 PM
Previously minor illusion/silent image was a fun one.
Now, synaptic static.

cuz martials often treat INT as a dump stat.

Unoriginal
2019-03-25, 01:02 PM
First question to ask is "who is the caster"?

Second question to ask is "how combat ready are they for this encounter"?

IMO, the spells the NPC spellcasters in the MM's, Volo's or Mordenkainen's give a good overview of what common spells such an individual could have.

Some tendencies would probably be:

-Many but not all arcane spellcasters will have some ways to hurt or incapacitate enemies, and some ways to protect themselves. Shield or Mage Armor would be pretty commonly researched spells for those who think they could get into fights regularly, for example.

-Most Clerics will have some healing spells at the ready, because they know how valuable it can be and that it's an advantage they have over other people.

-If they have a specific enemy, the caster will probably be prepared to fight them as well as they can. A Fire Giant mage who wish to beat other Fire Giants will find value in cold spells, while one who wish to fight humanoids alongside other Fire Giants would favor fire spells.

-Casters who don't expect a fight will mostly have utility spells related to their current tasks prepared.

Other than that, it mostly depends on the personality and the theme the caster has going on, as well as the means they have access to and the culture they're part of. The unimaginative Apprentice Wizard would stick with the basic Burning Hands and the like, while a seasoned Illusionist could get a lot of mileage just with Minor Illusion.

If the caster is meant to be particularly skilled, imaginative, hard-working or the like, they could have a custom, self-made spell (or an altered version of another) to surprise the PCs with. In the case of wizards, it's a good reward to get their spellbook afterward and acquire said new spell.

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-25, 02:32 PM
All very good points.

Now, once more with feeling, and the actual name of the spells ^^

Are there no general do's and don'ts? For example "Don't use Blindness, instead use Darkness. It creates an interesting obstacle, instead of just gimping one specific player?"

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-25, 02:37 PM
All very good points.

Are there no general do's and don'ts? For example "Don't use Blindness, instead use Darkness. It creates an interesting obstacle, instead of just gimping one specific player?"

Asking for help, glossing over a set of questions, demanding stuff while being a jerk about it.
Not a good way to get what you are asking for.

Unoriginal asked very good questions. THink about them.

Unoriginal
2019-03-25, 02:51 PM
All very good points.

Again, there is a lot of spells. What makes sense for the specific caster to have depends on the specifics. A Necromancer will probably try to get Animate Dead ASAP, and an Evoker try to get Fireball.

Why would a caster not use Blindness? It's not "gimping" any player, it's disabling an adventurer that want to skewer them. And how is Darkness an more interesting obstacle?

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-25, 03:07 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. Having an off day. :/
I'll create some sample casters. Maybe it is as you say, and as soon as I've created the character the spells pick themselves.

Unoriginal
2019-03-25, 03:09 PM
Have you looked at the NPC casters in the MM's and Volo's?

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-25, 03:40 PM
I am a cleric for sale. I work with a band of self absorbed missionaries that fancy themselves heroes. Under these pretenses we give ourselves the right to be complete *******s. We travel together and take odd jobs and collect bounties. We've had a couple of close calls, but with faith we always catch our bounty. What usually follows is a life of luxury for a few days, drinking and eating like Kings, until the money is all spent and we're back on the road.

We just got a mission to intercept another group, and retrieve an item from a dungeon. The other group is after the item as well. We've just got to the entrance of the dungeon, and it looks as the other group was ahead of us, and has already entered. We debate whether we should simply wait until they return with the item, and ambush them. They'll most likely be tired and beat, so it'll be like taking candy from a baby. While we're discussing this, the group we're supposed to intercept comes up from behind us. Apparently they went home and slept after their first day of exploring the dungeon, and are no on their way to finish the job.

I most likely have simple utility Spells prepared most of the time, but today I know I'll be fighting a group of four or more trained individuals. There was even some talk about two of them knowing warmagic. That fact alone means they have a bounty, since war magic is highly illegal. I believe in fighting fire with fire, and myself know one warmagic spell, just in case. I prepared it specially for these two spellcaster in mind. I know my friends will make quick work of the other group's swordfighters, I just have to keep the spellcasters of their backs.

I'm protected by my deity, and have his blessing on my side. This means me and my group cannot fail.

I'm seeing someone like that cleric from Game of Thrones, the one that keeps being revived.

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-25, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the NPC tips.

Sanctuary and Guiding Bolt are good suggestions :)