PDA

View Full Version : MtG Fans: Which planes should be made into Planeshift articles?

Vulsutyr
2019-03-25, 02:27 PM
So far, the Magic: the Gathering planes of Zendikar, Innistrad, Kaladesh, Amonkhet (Almondcat), Ixalan, and Dominaria have been adapted for DnD 5e by Wizards of the coast.

Which of your other favorite MtG planes should they do as well, and what cool elements should they focus on?

Naanomi
2019-03-25, 02:37 PM
Alara, New Phyrexia, Theros, and Lorwyn would make decent articles... maybe Kamigawa as well... the rest are either too ‘generic fantasy’ to need articles, or so specialized as to not generate enough material for one...

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-25, 03:01 PM
Alara, New Phyrexia, Theros, and Lorwyn would make decent articles... maybe Kamigawa as well... the rest are either too ‘generic fantasy’ to need articles, or so specialized as to not generate enough material for one...

Basically my answer, too. These, plus the ones already mentioned, are the only ones that add anything unique to the table.

Vulsutyr
2019-03-25, 03:08 PM
I would like Theros, but I know that it would be pretty easy to run a campaign based just on the DnD material. So much of the Monster manual is based on Greek mythology, a lot of the crunch is there.

Vogie
2019-03-25, 03:09 PM
The various Old-School chunks of Dominaria could be fun.

An Otarian planeshift (Onslaught/Legion/Scourge) would be based around Gladiator Battles with a mix of underwater creatures and mutated monsters
An Artifact Cycle Planeshift (Urza's Saga/Legacy/Destiny) would be based around Dominaria and multiple little planes (Serra's Realm, old Phyrexia, Rath, et cetera) and item crafting rules.

I really wish they would've done this earlier so we would have a Tarkir Book (Khans of Tarkir/Fate Reforged/Dragons of Tarkir)... that would be awesome. I could even see them having it with a front cover on both sides, so you would play through the world of Tarkir, have an Precinct 10-style adventure copying the time travel into the past, then flip the whole book over, Manga-style, and play the new present where Dragons exist.

Naanomi
2019-03-25, 03:13 PM
Oh, Tarkir... that would be decent also

Snowbluff
2019-03-25, 08:16 PM
Oh, Tarkir... that would be decent also

Yo dog, I heard you like dragons so I put dragons in your dungeons and dragons.

I'll put down a vote for New Phyrexia/Mirrodin as well.

Talionis
2019-03-25, 09:13 PM
Kamigawa. It was a great set. Lots of Asian lore. It’s where equipment first entered MtG so maybe we could get some more weapons. Fox and Rats as playable characters.

Durazno
2019-03-25, 09:31 PM
I'd kind of want to see a transplanar monster manual of weird MtG creatures.

Finback
2019-03-25, 10:05 PM
Mirrodin, Tarkir, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, and Ulgrotha.

NO, SHUT UP, ULGROTHA IS FINE. IT'S RICH IN STORYLINE, just had terrible in-game mechanics.

Vogie
2019-03-25, 10:13 PM
NO, SHUT UP, ULGROTHA IS FINE. IT'S RICH IN STORYLINE, just had terrible in-game mechanics.

The problem is, Innistrad and Ravenloft ate its lunch.

That being said, if there's another Ravenloft book, an Ulgrotha PS would click in pretty easily.

Naanomi
2019-03-25, 10:59 PM
Mirrodin, Tarkir, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, and Ulgrotha.

I loved Ulgrotha, but I’m not sure what would need mechanical representation... no super exotic races beyond a few Minotaur subraces maybe? A few new Fey monsters?

Aquillion
2019-03-26, 02:50 AM
I loved Ulgrotha, but I’m not sure what would need mechanical representation... no super exotic races beyond a few Minotaur subraces maybe? A few new Fey monsters?Sea dwarves! Although I think there was a brief UA about them.

And perhaps a rogue subclass focused on ferrets (and other small animals.) Not that we need another way for Rangers to be obsolete.

Actually, maybe a PC Faerie race, too? There are other naturally-flying PC races, and I think Ulgrotha faeries are Small rather than Tiny, which makes them reasonable as a PC race.