PDA

View Full Version : Bone Knight Build Help

Spegynmerbles
2019-03-25, 05:57 PM
I've always wanted to play an evil paladin type character but the evil paladin variants never caught my eye, then I saw bone knight. I instantly fell in love with the bone knight and through a lot of research I've come up with a build of sorts.

It'd be something along the lines of Human Cloistered Cleric 1/???/Ordained Champion 1/Ur Priest 1/Ordained Champion 2/Bone Knight 10. I figure cloistered cleric would get me the knowledge skills and skill points needed for ur priest plus the magic weapon requirement for ordained champion. Ordained champion should add some power to the build and I really love the abilities you get. Ur priest will get me the spells I need, but I'm not sure what class to run in between cleric and ordained champion. I was thinking paladin for the saves and maybe a class with bluff so I dont have to get able learner.

I'm not great with building characters in general, so any help is appreciated. Any 3.5 books are available for use.

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-03-26, 09:49 AM
I'm not completely sure, but I have to always recommend a single level in fighter as a gap fill, your BAB increases, and you get a bonus feat. That feat, especially the BAB, can be important to maintain a consistent level on your way up, mostly because you wouldn't gain anything from cloistered cleric, you might also want to use the bonus feat to get the Weapon Focus for Ordained Champion.

OR

Depending on your wisdom, I would recommend one of the druid variants, especially once you get higher up there, an animal companion is quite useful, be it for recon, but also because nothing looks more Bad-ass than an evil paladin with a wicked looking Wolf at his side or Hawk on his shoulder

liquidformat
2019-03-26, 12:21 PM
Frankly I don't think your build works, or at least I haven't been at a table that would allow you to take anymore divine prcs especially ones like Ordained Champion that have specific god requirements after taking Ur Priest. Some of the harsher ones I have been at would strip all class features from said prcs to boot. If that isn't an issue at your table then no problem.

Beyond that it seems like you would be going for trickery, knowledge, and war domains to fulfill prereqs? You can take your first level of Ordained Champion at level five and with Ur Priest you don't care about your levels before it having full caster so the question I guess is what do you want this character to be able to do? Cloistered Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 2/Ur Priest 1/Bone Knight 10 gets you to level 17 with level 9 spells. With divine power and righteous might bab really isn't an important concern for you either. Ordained Champion 3 is a good choice because of channeling spells if you are going to go melee is quite nice. Fighter 1 does give you a bonus feat but the importance of that really depends on your build. A couple levels of crusader could be interesting, and taking 2 levels of evil paladin would beefup your saves, taking a couple levels of blackguard would be interesting though blackguard would be a bit goofy to qualify for...

So what is your goal with this character?

Spegynmerbles
2019-03-26, 01:03 PM
Thank you for all the feedback. I want this class to be the divine caster of the group as well as a tanky front line while still doing some damage. I didn't even think about the whole no God requirement of ur priest so I guess I'll just drop that. I'll probably just go full cleric instead to simplify it.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure how to format this very well being new and all, but my build would look more like Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 3/Bone Knight 10. This would be a cleric of hextor with the war domain so I would get heavy flail focus for OC, OC would provide the ride ranks for Bone knight. Thoughts?

ExLibrisMortis
2019-03-26, 02:22 PM
I would totally allow someone to be an Ur-Ordained Champion of Deicide or something. You can qualify with cloistered cleric 1/crusader 4, which gives you some nice beatstickery and the fortitude save you need.

Spegynmerbles
2019-03-26, 09:52 PM
So I talked it over with my dm and he says I can go ur preist and still take levels in Ordained Champion. He said I could have a moment where I see hextor fail in battle to heironious and decide that I am destined to take his place or something.

Any thoughts on human paragon to fill the space between cleric and OC? I thought it'd be good for getting the skills I need, but I'm not sure it's the best idea.

What do you guys think?

ExLibrisMortis
2019-03-26, 10:57 PM
Human paragon is a good idea, certainly gets you the skills, and everybody loves bonus feats/ability increases. The only downside is that you lose your cleric casting when you enter UP, and HP advances casting. That's not so much a drawback your character will have, just a slight waste (but very good if you're playing the character from a low level).

The main skill you have trouble getting on a cleric base is Bluff; all the other skills are in-class for the cleric (and Ordained Champion). Here's an index of ways to get new class skills. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?451088-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills)

Since you're a cleric, the obvious thing is to use a domain. You'll trade the domain away for a feat when you take OC 1, but by then, the skill points are already spent, so it doesn't matter. Sadly, Hextor doesn't offer the right domains (Dragon, Envy, Trickery), so you'd either have to be a heretic (which costs a feat and isn't really worth it, though it can be awesome for flavour), or not worship Hextor to begin with, which requires reflavouring of OC.

Since you have three class levels to play with, you could take two levels in hexblade. It's not a very good class by itself, but it has Bluff, Knowledge (arcana), and Spellcraft as class skills, full base attack, and, at level 2, its Arcane Resistance ability lets you add your Charisma bonus to saves versus spells and spell-like effects (i.e. many of the most dangerous saves you have to make). Useful if you have a high Charisma score for Turn Undead.

Warlock has the same good class skills, and Knowledge (the planes) and (religion) on top, plus some very useful invocations. Beguiling Influence is basically an always-on +6 Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate, which never goes out of fashion.

Falontani
2019-03-26, 11:07 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?572680-Junkyard-Wars-XXI-Halloween-Round!

Check out Boned, he wasn't anywhere near the caster your seeming to go for, but he's a legit necromancer paladin.

liquidformat
2019-03-27, 09:50 AM
Human Cloistered Cleric 1/Human Paragon 3/Ordained Champion 1/Ur Priest 1/Ordained Champion 3/Bone Knight 10 seems pretty powerful and fills all the bases. Depending on your int score taking knowledge devotion might be a better choice than knowledge domain. War Domain is a given, and of the rest I would say Domination is probably your best bet, the given spell list is interesting enough to make it worthwhile to not dump after entering OC. Your last two levels are a bit of a head scratcher, Evil paladin rounds things out along with crusader, I am not sure about what prc's could be an interesting choice though.

Spegynmerbles
2019-03-27, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I think I'll stick with human paragon so I can get concentration for a class skill. Plus that +2 to an ability is nice, seeing as I'll be a little MAD