PDA

View Full Version : Best use for contingency?

ChiefBigFeather
2019-03-25, 07:02 PM
What do you think is the best use of the contingency spell?
One restriction: no spell triggers (if I wink with my left eye only three times in 5 seconds).

I got no magic items and only wizard levels.

My thoughts so far:
Being the subject of an attack: Mirror Image is a decent choice. Although this can become very expensive quick in terms of spell slots. Maybe at „while below x hp“?

Being low on HP: Invisibility. I really don‘t like putting concentration spells into contingency, concentrating on that wall of force could be cruicual. Same goes for Otiluke‘s.

My current favourite: Being under a continuous malicious magical effect: dispel magic. Being under a spell effect is maybe the most dangerous thing that can happen to you.

Thanks in advance for further input!

Griswold
2019-03-25, 09:40 PM
Being the subject of an attack: Mirror Image is a decent choice. Although this can become very expensive quick in terms of spell slots. Maybe at „while below x hp“?

Avoiding attacks seems like a pretty good use for a contingency. As an alternative spell for that, instead of Mirror Image, you could cast Dimension Door instead and just move out of the way. It's also guaranteed to foil the attack, if you're no longer a valid target, and it could let you get out of an area of attack spell or dragon breath as well!

My current favourite: Being under a continuous malicious spell effect: dispel magic. Being under a spell effect is maybe the most dangerous thing that can happen to you.

For the last one, why not just prepare Counterspell instead, and save your contingency for something else? As far as I can tell, there's nothing Dispel Magic can defeat that Counterspell won't. They both only get rid of spells.

nickl_2000
2019-03-25, 10:01 PM
For the last one, why not just prepare Counterspell instead, and save your contingency for something else? As far as I can tell, there's nothing Dispel Magic can defeat that Counterspell won't. They both only get rid of spells.

Dispel guarantees that it is used against something special. Whereas, unless you have someone else identify the spell being cast your don't know what your are counterspelling.

ChiefBigFeather
2019-03-26, 07:12 AM
Avoiding attacks seems like a pretty good use for a contingency. As an alternative spell for that, instead of Mirror Image, you could cast Dimension Door instead and just move out of the way. It's also guaranteed to foil the attack, if you're no longer a valid target, and it could let you get out of an area of attack spell or dragon breath as well!

I like this idea! It is definitely worth preparing for specific situations like being bitten by werewolves, escaping a dreagon's breath etc.
But in my campaign, we usually fight in enclosed spaces, so teleporting around may not help all that much. I would like it a lot better if I could somehow make it work only against really dangerous attacks. But I can't think of a wording that sounds overly complicated or ambiguous (both won't work with my DM).

Well, Counterspell doesn't always work. If you are counterspelling blind at your table or the effect isn't a spell. Speaking of not a spell: I should change the wording to "malicious magical effect", so more bad things are covered.

The beauty of Contingency Dispel Magic is, that this covers pretty much everything that isn't damage or poison. There are very few "bad" triggers, if you are affected by a continuous magical effect, it is almost always really dangerous.

Torpin
2019-03-26, 07:19 AM
contingent a counter spell to counter a counter spell

Yunru
2019-03-26, 07:19 AM
The obvious choice is Revivify.

nickl_2000
2019-03-26, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure what's on your spell list, I just looked through the < level 5 spells to see what might be handy,

Cure Wounds contingency for being knocked out is pretty useful.
See Invisibility is a nice utility to have around since you don't always want to have it prepared.
Silence as a reaction to some nasty spell caster
Revivify is expensive, but makes sure you never stay dead
Freedom of movement
Polymorph if you are knocked to low HP

solidork
2019-03-26, 08:11 AM
Our abjuration wizard currently uses it to cast a high level False Life whenever he gets attacked.

LudicSavant
2019-03-26, 08:17 AM
One of the most potentially powerful properties of Contingency is its ability to detect whether a conditional statement has occurred even if you cannot detect that (which is why it can do things like Revivify you or Dispel an incapacitating spell). There don't appear to be any limitations on distance or the like here.

For example: The king's vizier is in another country. His king is assassinated. When the king dies, the vizier's contingent Message goes off, informing him "the king has died."

Chronos
2019-03-26, 08:19 AM
Being under a malicious spell effect isn't always perceptible. And you're likely to have your own spell effects up, that might get dispelled instead.

In another thread recently, someone said that their high-level wizard had a demiplane, that they'd arranged to be a native of, and where they'd placed a bunch of Glyphs of Warding of buff spells. Then they set their Contingency to Banishment. Trigger the Banishment, go to your demiplane, trigger the buff glyphs, stop concentrating on Banishment, reappear on the battlefield fully buffed, without even needing to spend any actions.

Damon_Tor
2019-03-26, 09:15 AM
In another thread recently, someone said that their high-level wizard had a demiplane, that they'd arranged to be a native of, and where they'd placed a bunch of Glyphs of Warding of buff spells. Then they set their Contingency to Banishment. Trigger the Banishment, go to your demiplane, trigger the buff glyphs, stop concentrating on Banishment, reappear on the battlefield fully buffed, without even needing to spend any actions.

You become a native of your demiplane by growing a clone in it and dying. You also have to make sure you've tanked your CHA save so you auto-fail vs your spell DC or it becomes unreliable. I do use a vocal trigger for the contingency, which the OP has excluded, but there's no reason you couldn't set it to occur while you're attacked or have a spell cast at you or fall to low HP or whatnot.

ChiefBigFeather
2019-03-26, 11:28 AM
The obvious choice is Revivify.

Silence as a reaction to some nasty spell caster
Freedom of movement

You become a native of your demiplane by growing a clone in it and dying.

This kind of rules loyering is not allowed at our table (and I wouldn't sit at if it were).

Being under a malicious spell effect isn't always perceptible. And you're likely to have your own spell effects up, that might get dispelled instead.

I don't think being perceptible actually matters. That's part of the beauty of it: It has charm protection.
Except for Mage Armor and Mirror Image, there are no spell effects I can think of I have frequently on myself. I think I can live with loosing them, as a wizard has other defenses like teleport to deal with physical damage. The real trouble starts when you can't access them. Being under the effect of a spell is the most likely scenario for that to happen.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-26, 11:38 AM
My #1 use for Contingency, and is extremely accessible, is casting Flame Shield. Not only does it have no Concentration, but it has a long duration and no costly components. A little bit of preparation into knowing what the local wildlife is weak to can go a long way into determining whether you want a Hot or Cold shield.

You could make the Contingency "As an adjacent enemy attacks me, or if an enemy attempts to hurt me with fire/cold damage, release the spell". This still allows you to cast something like Shield to continue to protect yourself.

Chronos
2019-03-26, 11:43 AM
Is intentionally failing saves no longer a thing?

ChiefBigFeather
2019-03-26, 02:14 PM
My #1 use for Contingency, and is extremely accessible, is casting Flame Shield. Not only does it have no Concentration, but it has a long duration and no costly components. A little bit of preparation into knowing what the local wildlife is weak to can go a long way into determining whether you want a Hot or Cold shield.

You could make the Contingency "As an adjacent enemy attacks me, or if an enemy attempts to hurt me with fire/cold damage, release the spell". This still allows you to cast something like Shield to continue to protect yourself.
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about Fireshield too, but I got Absorb Elements already. Fireshield is not enough of an upgrade for my taste, I try to aim for a new panic button with Contingency.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-26, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about Fireshield too, but I got Absorb Elements already. Fireshield is not enough of an upgrade for my taste, I try to aim for a new panic button with Contingency.

Feign Death, for when you reach 20% or less HP. Doesn't get much more "Panic Button" than that.

I suppose a Lore Bard could cast Revivify on themselves after being dead for 1 minute, but that's a pretty expensive fringe benefit.

druid91
2019-03-26, 02:45 PM
Stack Contingent thunderwaves on yourself to go off when you kick a door.

Watch the peasants cower in terror as your kick vaporizes the front of their house.

Damon_Tor
2019-03-26, 03:17 PM

There's nothing that allows you to intentionally fail a save. It may be allowed on one table or another, but it's not RAW.

Temperjoke
2019-03-26, 03:41 PM

There's nothing that allows you to intentionally fail a save. It may be allowed on one table or another, but it's not RAW.

There are some spells that state a target may choose to fail a save, but it's not a blanket rule on all spells to my knowledge.

Yunru
2019-03-26, 04:13 PM
This kind of rules loyering is not allowed at our table (and I wouldn't sit at if it were).Excuse me?!
How is Revivify "rules loyering"?

LudicSavant
2019-03-26, 04:18 PM
Excuse me?!

Because you're... following the rules? :smallconfused:

Deathtongue
2019-03-26, 04:28 PM
My favorite Contingency, one I've never regretted, was the Contingency for Resilient Sphere set to 'when I say the spell components for the Shield spell plus the syllable 'chi''. That way the spell will protect me from critical hits Shield doesn't and will also go off when I want it to.

I've tried Dimension Door on a Contingency, the problem is that a lot of DMs require me to specify a direction and distance, which can get really dicey. Too short and you won't avoid the effect, too far and you don't know what will happen.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-26, 05:05 PM
My favorite Contingency, one I've never regretted, was the Contingency for Resilient Sphere set to 'when I say the spell components for the Shield spell plus the syllable 'chi''. That way the spell will protect me from critical hits Shield doesn't and will also go off when I want it to.

I've tried Dimension Door on a Contingency, the problem is that a lot of DMs require me to specify a direction and distance, which can get really dicey. Too short and you won't avoid the effect, too far and you don't know what will happen.

Depending on the character. Bladesinger had MI or Blink on me saying "IKUZO!", any other non con buff could have worked too.

But since you don't want a "controlled" trigger, and you are playing more like a spellcaster, I'd recomend ORS, but you don't want concentration, so Idk... Meld Into Stone maybe? It could be done as a Bard...

Can I ask why are you against the controlled trigger? IMO its one of the best uses of the spell since it allows to "cast" multiple spells in a round.

ThePolarBear
2019-03-26, 06:22 PM
Excuse me?!

Because you're... following the rules? :smallconfused:

By casting a spell that you cannot cast on yourself at the time of casting as the spell to put into contingency.

Unless you are dead, you really aren't a valid target for revivify, thus it can't target you, thus it is not a valid spell for contingency.

So, you need to rule lawyer that "that can target you" means "that it doesn't matter if it has an effect on you or not, it just must be able to be cast on you, and you can cast every spell on everything".

Not that you (edit or ChiefBigFeather) actually intended any of that. Just my 2 cents.
Edit: Imho, is just that revivify is not on a Wizard's normal spell list and since "no magic items" were a given. It sorts of falls flat as an advice.

Yunru
2019-03-26, 06:30 PM
By casting a spell that you cannot cast on yourself at the time of casting as the spell to put into contingency.

This bit here is something you've added.
It doesn't have to be able to target you right now, it just has to be able to target you. Targeting you when you're dead is still targeting you.

Now if you really want to rules lawyer, nothing about Revivify says the target has to be dead, only that it died up to a minute ago. Die, get Revivified, and you qualify for Revivify for another 54 seconds :P

witchslave
2019-03-27, 12:10 AM
Excuse me?!

I don't think he was referencing that bit as rules lawyering. The quotes above are followed by his own statements about only having wizard levels. Don't have my books handy but I don't think Revivify is on the wizards list? :frown:

Aaedimus
2019-03-27, 01:10 AM
No, it's a cleric paladin spell.
Lore Bards might be the only class that can pull that off than.

LudicSavant
2019-03-27, 01:24 AM
No, it's a cleric paladin spell.
Lore Bards might be the only class that can pull that off than.

Regular bards can potentially do it too. So can Arcana Clerics. Oh, and Divine Soul Sorcerers with Wish (Contingency), I guess. :smallsmile:

ThePolarBear
2019-03-27, 04:03 AM
This bit here is something you've added.

Yes, because to express the meaning of the simple present i need to add words. If you look, you'll see that there's also the actual quotation, in the same post.

Edit: true enough about the other conditions :D

ProsecutorGodot
2019-03-27, 04:40 AM
Stack Contingent thunderwaves on yourself to go off when you kick a door.

Watch the peasants cower in terror as your kick vaporizes the front of their house.

I like the idea. Just want to point out, however, that you can't actually stack Contingency. You're still likely to vaporize most of their front entryway though.

The contingent spell takes effect immediately after the circumstance is met for the first time, whether or not you want it to, and then contingency ends.

The contingent spell takes effect only on you, even if it can normally target others. You can use only one contingency spell at a time.

If you cast this spell again, the effect of another contingency spell on you ends. Also, contingency ends on you if its material component is ever not on your person.

One of my favorite ideas, although strictly not "the best" use for Contingency, is Resilient Sphere set to trigger at a certain damage threshold. Tongues cast when a creature speaks at you in a language you don't know is also a decent use.

I guess the biggest problem I see with contingency is that most of the "best" uses are pretty easy to spot, such as Fly when falling or (if the caster is capable) Revivify.

ChiefBigFeather
2019-03-27, 05:50 AM
Excuse me?!
It is not. But I got only wizard levels and no magic items.

TheUser
2019-03-27, 06:10 AM
The ability for contingency to be usable upon any trigger, even the ones your character are not aware of, is where the spell gains its power.

I really like this one:

When I am being observed by a hidden creature with hostile intent towards me cast mislead.

Pretty much tells you when an ambush is coming or if you are being scryed in some way and unless you plan to travel around with concentration spells on it helps you and your group avoid surprise.

It also gives your character a type of "spidersense" which can be cool and creepy.

You immediately tell the group "we're being watched." And sound like a badass.

Other favourites include:

If an object or hostile creature I would normally be able to see is invisible, cast "See Invisibilty."

Concentration free, and really helps in those moments where an invisible creature might be lying in wait or an enemy caster is trying to use it to foil you. If the target is already hidden well enough that you can't see them, then it doesn't trigger.

Lastly,

If I am about to take greater than half my health in damage all at once, cast otilluke's resillient sphere.

Concentration be damned. If I am taking a lot of damage from one attack, spell or ability (you can really set whatever threshold you want) then I would lose concentration anyway and would rather just not take the damage.

Dalebert
2019-03-27, 02:48 PM
Freedom of movement
Polymorph if you are knocked to low HP

I just realized what a great spell this is for arcana clerics for their level 6 wizard spell.

Millface
2019-03-27, 03:05 PM
I can't tell the difference between "rules lawyering" and creative spell use granted by achieving an 8th grade reading level. I mean, the game is a gigantic set of rules. If Clone+Demiplane+Banishment is rules lawyering wouldn't any cohesive multiclass also be considered as such? You're taking a few pieces of literature and combining them together for a cool effect either way. You certainly don't need to know every little rule in the game to make them work... just have to read the abilities that you have and throw in a little creative thinking.

To each their own, I suppose. I'd gladly welcome the player that came up with that to my table.

JoeJ
2019-03-27, 03:32 PM
I can't tell the difference between "rules lawyering" and creative spell use granted by achieving an 8th grade reading level.

"Creative spell use" means that I did it. "Rules lawyering" is when you do it.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-27, 03:34 PM
"Creative spell use" means that I did it. "Rules lawyering" is when you do it.

I generally try not to assume, but... this sounds like you are implying there's something inherently wrong with ruleslawyering... :smallconfused:

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-27, 03:41 PM
I can't tell the difference between "rules lawyering" and creative spell use granted by achieving an 8th grade reading level.

I kinda get it. It's using a lot of technicalities, that often aren't relevant, to achieve a particular effect.

I personally would rather incentivize someone doing something to be narratively creative rather than mechanically so. I wouldn't let you combine Wish and Simulacrum, but I would let you use Expand/Reduce and Catapult despite the fact that the RAW description would only deal the normal Catapult damage when it hits (unless the spell ends entirely).

At my tables, anything that's "Mechanically Creative" needs to go through me first, otherwise it just feels like you're trying to sneak it past me, and that's not something I'm cool with. If you want to use Spike Growth and grapple someone across it for insane levels of damage, or if you want your Moon Druid/Monk to make Unarmed Strikes while Wild Shaped, you just gotta talk to me other than just assuming it always works because "the game doesn't technically say I can't".

DM + Player trust trumps anything that's RAW.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-27, 04:02 PM
DM + Player trust trumps anything that's RAW.

This is bottom line the most important aspect of roleplaying.

We are telling a story as a group, as long as we all are on the same page, mechanics to accomodate the narrative will be found/make.

Aaedimus
2021-02-18, 03:42 AM
The best damage threshold I've seen btw is "when I'm about to take damage that's more than half my current health".

No matter how low you are it won't let you go to 0, and won't waste an accidental cast on small cookies

Lord Vukodlak
2021-02-18, 09:39 AM
Once again what about a Contingency:Animate Thread?

adb82
2021-02-18, 10:38 AM
"When im too weak bcs im wounded (10% or 20% hp)" contingecy: false life 5th lv (i dont know if this can work also with an attack that directly bring you to 0 hp, polimorph for sure wont work)
"When someone use counterpsell on a spell i casted" Contigency: counterspel (you can also be more specific: "when someone use counterspell on my counterspell" contingenza: counterspell, if you just want to have a anti counter-counter spell)
"When a bad magic effect affect me" Contingency: Dispel Magic
"When i blink my eye" Contingency: Shadow Blade 5th lv (so you can have it up from 1 round with bladesong)
If you are searching also for some use with concentration: polimorph and otiluke's sphere are kinda useful.

truemane
2021-02-18, 11:37 AM
Metamagic Mod: Contingency-Close Necrothread activate!