PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Age for a Quarter-Dragon, Half-Nymph?

BlueWitch
2019-03-25, 08:50 PM
If you were DMing, what's the max age you think this chick could live?

She is a Quarter-Dragon, and Half-Nymph

Bonus question, but are all Fey Immortal?

Jack_Simth
2019-03-25, 09:00 PM

Probably ends at the point of a sword. Or some spell. Dare I say a dragon? Perhaps poison? Such a thing demands plot, rather than old age.

All? No. There's probably a few Fey with aging tables that don't end with "Maximum Age: N/A". Probably.

In general? No more so than, say, an Ettin. Which is to say: They have no defined aging tables, but that's not the same thing as saying "they're ageless" - it's just one of those many cases of: The rules cannot cover everything, and the DM is expected to fill in the blanks for a given table as they come up. In many campaigns, they will be. In others... not so much.

Torpin
2019-03-25, 09:01 PM
whats the last quarter?

Torpin
2019-03-25, 09:06 PM

175+4d20
for aging i treat fey as elves, half dragons live twice as long and draconics like 50% as long so this to me looks like a draconic half elf then consulting page 109 of the phb give us the table

BlueWitch
2019-03-25, 09:07 PM
whats the last quarter?

I'm guessing Human?

Her father was a Half-Dragon (and a Black one at that). Mother was a Nymph. We never really asked about what his other half was.

Assuming she doesn't get killed in battle I wanted to know how far she could age before going down by old age.

magic9mushroom
2019-03-26, 12:50 AM

Quarter dragon means Draconic template, and according to RotD those don't live much longer than normal. Half-Nymph... beats me. Shouldn't be immortal, though, because she's still a humanoid (neither template changes type).

Nobody knows!

Here are a couple (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030411a) of articles (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20040820a) on the matter. It's explicitly left open, though they definitely live at least as long as elves.

Bronk
2019-03-26, 07:35 AM

I'd give her 150% to 200% of the base age, whatever that is. Some of the old novels showed that having even a little bit of elf blood in your ancestry gave you a longer lifespan, so this should be similar.

It's weird that Half-Nymph doesn't change your type to fey... if it did, I'd say go immortal, no problem. You know, regular Half-Fey is the same +2 LA, but you get a lot more out of it.

No. Some are definitely immortal (LeShay, Silthilar), some are definitely mortal (Dryads, bound to an otherwise normal oak tree), and the rest are just probably immortal, subject to plot and the DM's decisions (from those wizard articles linked previously).

magic9mushroom
2019-03-26, 06:36 PM
Silthilar

Silthilar aren't fey. They're aberrations.

Killoren (RotW) are definitely biologically immortal, though, inasmuch as they age to Old and then stop before Venerable.

Feantar
2019-03-26, 07:52 PM
Well, she's close to fey. There are two base races which are fey-like, and these are elves and gnomes. My first instinct would be give her the elven lifespan if the last quarter was human (since draconic doesn't actually do anything), but you could also go the gnome route.

Bronk
2019-03-26, 07:54 PM
Silthilar aren't fey. They're aberrations.

They're fey who became aberrations to become immortal.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-26, 09:28 PM
If you were DMing, what's the max age you think this chick could live?Chickens don't live long, even those with dragon and nymph ancestry.

The infamous Colonel of House Sanders makes sure of that.

magic9mushroom
2019-03-26, 11:41 PM
They're fey who became aberrations to become immortal.

I'm only aware of LoM's description of the silthilar; it calls them "sylvan" which is not the same thing as "fey" (it literally means they lived in forests), and says they became swarms to avoid a plague (with no mention of whether they had a limited lifespan beforehand). It also notes that their coalesced form approximates that of the original race, and it looks very aberration-ish to me (what with the whole "radial symmetry" and "arms where legs should be, spines where arms should be" things).

Is there another source on silthilar that I'm missing?

Bronk
2019-03-27, 11:35 AM
I'm only aware of LoM's description of the silthilar; it calls them "sylvan" which is not the same thing as "fey" (it literally means they lived in forests), and says they became swarms to avoid a plague (with no mention of whether they had a limited lifespan beforehand). It also notes that their coalesced form approximates that of the original race, and it looks very aberration-ish to me (what with the whole "radial symmetry" and "arms where legs should be, spines where arms should be" things).

Is there another source on silthilar that I'm missing?

Nope, that's the one. It's a testament to how little thought was given to the fey in general that we have to glean whatever we can about them from such spare sources. I wish the fey had their own source book, especially since they were named (collectively) as one of the five creator races of Faerun...