PDA

View Full Version : Bead of Karma cost

Draz74
2007-09-30, 03:48 PM
This post in another thread just reminded me that I wanted to ask a question:

Of course, it involved abuse of UMD, beads of karma, and the fact that a bead of karma, on its own, technically costs nothing.

OK, so I remember that being the case too, when I've made high-level Cleric builds in the past. There was a pretty dumb oversight in the rules for Strand of Prayer Beads that allowed you to get a Bead of Karma and a Bead of Healing for only about 9000 gp. If your DM really let you twist the Prayer Beads rule in your favor, you could even buy an empty Strand for a negative cost. Not that any DM would be that dumb, I hope ...

But now, according to d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#strandofPrayerBeads), it seems that a Healing/Karma combo costs 25800 gp, because the overall cost of a Strand has been expanded up to be the sum cost of its components. (Which makes much more sense. But it also makes me sad because a silly little piece of my inner powergamer just died.)

So my question is: when and how did this change get made? Did d20srd.org just have a mistake in it before, and it's now been corrected? Or did I miss an announcement of errata on the Wizards site where they changed this rule? (It seems like the kind of minor, rarely-encountered-in-actual-playing rule that WotC would normally just neglect.) Or is d20srd.org actually making its own changes to the dumbest rules in the game? (Yeah right.)

Jasdoif
2007-09-30, 04:08 PM
All of them (DMG, SRD, d20srd.org) say the same thing. They all list the same prices per bead, and the same contents of each strand, and the same price for each strand.

And each fails to include the cost of the bead of karma in the collected cost for a "regular" strand of beads.

EDIT: OK, good thing I double-checked...d20srd.org shows a more accurate price. I don't this mentioned in any DMG errata; however it seems fairly obvious that given a price for each bead, that the strands should add up.

Draz74
2007-10-01, 12:22 PM
Yeah, the thing is, d20SRD used to say something different (more like you're saying is actually in the DMG, I guess).

Anyone know what happened here?