PDA

View Full Version : Spell save on divine intervention (dm question)

Shuruke
2019-03-26, 09:09 AM
So to be short my players are level 11 and cleric rolled for divine intervention

I just used their spellsave+10
For the fire storm that came down on the bbeg lieutenant

For future reference is there any source for how to handle this

Also how should it be handled

Unoriginal
2019-03-26, 09:11 AM
It's a literal divine intervention. I don't think there should be saves unless the target was a god, a demigod or a titan themselves

Clone
2019-03-26, 09:26 AM
Is this to say you bypassed the "roll on a d100 the Cleric's level or lower" part and just went straight to the intervention part?
If thats the case you need to either get a solid idea on how you'll be running it or go back to the actual version, as its extremely powerful.

Assuming the Cleric did the appropriate roll and succeeded, start by looking at the God the Cleric worships.
God of War? The intervention will be damage based like spell effects, or summoned warriors of light, maybe even bringing in an Angelic monster for a limited time.
God of Life? Maybe a wave of healing magic which heals or buffs the party while debuffing or hindering the enemy, possibly summoning a healing angel or something which can support and also swing a sword.

Next is use what the player says when they call for the divine intervention. If its as simple as "help us win" then anything good will go, so buffing, healing, damage dealing, summoning etc will all be appropriate so long as it fits with the god.
If its more along the lines of "kill x" or "smite y" then you'll need to be a tad more creative based on what the god would do and what the player wants. Lean more towards what the players want though, as divine interventions are super rare.

Other then that just have fun with it and don't worry about the mechanics too much, its an act of a god so they aren't limited by the same restrictions mortals (and the players) are. If recreating a spell effects is simpler and easier to manage for you, thats great, but don't worry about straying from written down methods.
Hope this helps!

Shuruke
2019-03-26, 10:06 AM
Is this to say you bypassed the "roll on a d100 the Cleric's level or lower" part and just went straight to the intervention part?
If thats the case you need to either get a solid idea on how you'll be running it or go back to the actual version, as its extremely powerful.

Assuming the Cleric did the appropriate roll and succeeded, start by looking at the God the Cleric worships.
God of War? The intervention will be damage based like spell effects, or summoned warriors of light, maybe even bringing in an Angelic monster for a limited time.
God of Life? Maybe a wave of healing magic which heals or buffs the party while debuffing or hindering the enemy, possibly summoning a healing angel or something which can support and also swing a sword.

Next is use what the player says when they call for the divine intervention. If its as simple as "help us win" then anything good will go, so buffing, healing, damage dealing, summoning etc will all be appropriate so long as it fits with the god.
If its more along the lines of "kill x" or "smite y" then you'll need to be a tad more creative based on what the god would do and what the player wants. Lean more towards what the players want though, as divine interventions are super rare.

Other then that just have fun with it and don't worry about the mechanics too much, its an act of a god so they aren't limited by the same restrictions mortals (and the players) are. If recreating a spell effects is simpler and easier to manage for you, thats great, but don't worry about straying from written down methods.
Hope this helps!

Thanks !! And yeah they called down the might of Pelor after getting a 5 with a bot dice roll on a d100. Yheu asked for his holy flames to smite these enemies
So I just used firestorm cuz it fit

Just wasn't sure of their was any good way to do it

None of them succeeded save bit wasnt sure of their was anything less dm choice or stats that would show what a gods dc is

Thanks for help

Keravath
2019-03-26, 10:15 AM
Thanks !! And yeah they called down the might of Pelor after getting a 5 with a bot dice roll on a d100. Yheu asked for his holy flames to smite these enemies
So I just used firestorm cuz it fit

Just wasn't sure of their was any good way to do it

None of them succeeded save bit wasnt sure of their was anything less dm choice or stats that would show what a gods dc is

Thanks for help

It's divine intervention :) ... I would have had the firestorm come down with max damage and no save just for the impact of it all. Divine intervention is a very low probability event, it can't happen very often so it should be something dramatic.

On the other hand, if the player starts trying to use it all the time, or use it in situations that don't need divine intervention then from a DM perspective the divine being is probably far less likely to respond as or when requested. The cleric needs to realize that calling directly on the power of their diety is never to be taken lightly (though that is entirely up to the DM and depends on your game world .. that would tend to be how I would run it).

No brains
2019-03-26, 10:58 AM
Well a god would have a proficiency bonus of +9 and an ability bonus of +10. So maybe 8+9+10=27?