PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Hunter’s Mercy in Pathfinder?

Palanan
2019-03-26, 09:34 AM
There were two versions of the Hunter’s Mercy spell in 3.X, one in Magic of Faerûn and one in the Spell Compendium. Does Pathfinder have anything like either of those?

And if not, which version should I use in my game?

Kurald Galain
2019-03-26, 09:49 AM
I'd recommend buying a Pendant of the Blood Scarab.

ngilop
2019-03-26, 10:34 AM
Hunter's Mercy

Transmutation
Level: Ranger 1, Consecrated Harrier 1,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: See text

This transmutation makes a bow strike true. Your next attack with the bow (if it is made before the end of the next round) hits and automatically threatens a critical hit. If you don't hit in the round following the casting of this spell, the effect is wasted.

Hunter's Mercy

Transmutation
Level: Ranger 1,
Components: S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round

Your eyes glow red, but you see the world as normal except when you look at your target. A small glowing dot reveals the creature's weakest point.

This transmutation makes a bow strike true. Your first hit with a bow (not including crossbows) in the next round is automatically a critical hit. If you don't hit in the round following the casting of this spell, the effect is wasted.

The magic of faerun one I feel is better since it does not exclude crossbows.

basically you spend a standard action to automatically threaten a critical on your next successful cast within a round with a bow or cross bow. Sounds Pretty balanced to me. Its a nice way to initiate a combat in an ambush but not really worth it as you could just shoot them with multiple attacks in the round you spent casting the spell.

Arkain
2019-03-26, 12:24 PM
A bow's a bow, not a crossbow, so the MoF version doesn't explicitly include crossbows either, though. If you're going to houserule it in anyway, I'd just change it to something like "Your next successful ranged attack is automatically a critical hit." along the way and be done with it.

Diarmuid
2019-03-26, 02:20 PM
That would be very dangerous wording as it would then apply to all ranged attacks, including plenty of spell attacks that would much more greatly benefit from an auto-crit than a weapon attach might.

Palanan
2019-03-26, 02:24 PM
For me the question is why they felt the need to exclude crossbows in the Spell Compendium version. It clarifies the likely intent of the first version, but why should that be the intention at all? Why leave crossbows out?

Ellrin
2019-03-26, 02:43 PM
For me the question is why they felt the need to exclude crossbows in the Spell Compendium version. It clarifies the likely intent of the first version, but why should that be the intention at all? Why leave crossbows out?

It’d be more powerful on a crossbow with the higher crit multiplier, I guess?

Palanan
2019-03-26, 02:53 PM
That makes sense; but the version in the Spell Compendium seems to be much stronger, since that version grants an automatic crit, rather than simply guaranteeing a threatened crit.

Is the Spell Compendium version a little too strong because of that? I'm thinking of including this in my Pathfinder campaign, so not sure which version would be better.

ngilop
2019-03-26, 03:40 PM
The spell compendium version guarantees a critical, not the successfull attack, you still need to hit.

Your first hit with a bow (not including crossbows) in the next round is automatically a critical hit. If you don't hit in the round following the casting of this spell, the effect is wasted.

See the wording. 'first hit' and 'if you don't hit..spell wasted' SO you do a hit and it is automatically a critical, no need to roll a successful roll.

also.. balance and 3rd don't mix very well, so try not to reason or use logic on the 'why' behind balance decisions

Arkain
2019-03-26, 04:12 PM
That would be very dangerous wording as it would then apply to all ranged attacks, including plenty of spell attacks that would much more greatly benefit from an auto-crit than a weapon attach might.

Right you are, didn't think of that. :smalleek: Nothing like being a UMD check away from a metamagic-powered Enervation crit, eh?