PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn Breath weapon "fix"

Danielqueue1
2019-03-26, 11:37 AM
rolling a new character for a campaign I ended up rolling a dragonborn sorcerer with a dreadfully low intelligence (-3). so I was thinking. instead of arcane chanting and clever manipulations, the character did everything (read as much as reasonable) as breath weapons.

instead of casting burning hands, the character "breathes fire"
thunder wave becomes "thunderous Roar"
dragon's breath is of course going to be his bread and butter.

somatic components will be as normal after all he is one of those people who can't talk without moving their hands so he'll need a free hand anyway. (subtle spell covers when it doesn't make thematic sense)

the question for the forums,

what spells (doesn't have to be restricted to sorcerer) could be easily re fluffed to breath weapons. I'm looking for fun and flavor here, but not blind to usefulness. "Spitting" a fireball sounds doable, yelling up a forcewall not so much.

edit: sorry for deceptive title. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Emongnome777
2019-03-26, 12:07 PM
Blindness / deafness: Spit “goo” on the targeted organ.

I’d be curious what people come up with for spells requiring Int/Wis/Cha saves. Pixie dust for sleep spell?

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-26, 12:17 PM
Green BRASS Dragons literally put enemies to sleep with their breath attack (even puts Elves to sleep!), so Sleep is definitely on the table. Chromatic Orb is simply shooting a specialized dragon shot.

Web is an option, as well as Agnazzar's Scorcher. Melf's Minute Meteors, Lightning Bolt and Sleet Storm all would work fine.

Wildarm
2019-03-26, 12:23 PM
Was about to go through the SRD and list off any sorcerer spells you could refluff as breath, gaze or physical effects. But in the end I could not pick many spells that could not be re-fluffed. So I'd say pretty much all the sorcerer spells in one way or another could be interpreted as natural magical abilities of a sorcerer dragonborn. Some of the illusion ones and divination ones are tricky but I think you're good otherwise.

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-26, 01:06 PM
this title has been used in several other nasty threads.
i was truly worried it was going to come back again.

JackPhoenix
2019-03-26, 05:59 PM
Green Dragons literally put enemies to sleep with their breath attack (even puts Elves to sleep!), so Sleep is definitely on the table.

Permanently. Assuming the target isn't immune to poison.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-28, 12:48 PM
Permanently. Assuming the target isn't immune to poison.

Sorry, I was mistaken. BRASS Dragons put the target to sleep.