PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Bard

Brother12
2019-03-26, 11:07 PM
As the title states, I'm thinking a dwarf bard build. I would like opinions for that as I've only just had the basics. Mountain dwarf lore bard for medium armor but still mostly spells and support. That or hill dwarf valor bard for more combat prowess and survivability. Plan for starting level 1 and going to 10-14.

The idea is a dwarf storyteller who wants to add a greater collection of personal experiences (with heroic embellishments of course) to further captivate his audiences.

What do you think the most fitting or effective build is for a dwarf bard? I'm currently leaning toward mountain lore bard.

Unoriginal
2019-03-26, 11:52 PM
Do you have access to the Xanathar's ?

Brother12
2019-03-27, 10:05 AM
Yes, and I don't have objections to those colleges.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-27, 10:14 AM
The extra HP would REALLY help out a Valor or Swords bard, effectively bumping their Hit Die to a 1d10, which is on-par with Fighters.

I'd say that the Bardic colleges are in this order:

UTILITY
Glamour
Lore
Whispers
Valor
Swords
COMBAT

MELEE
Swords
Valor
Whispers
Glamour
Lore
RANGE

SUPPORT
Glamor
Lore
Valor
Whispers
Swords
DAMAGE

I think that a Valor Hill Dwarf would be perfect for setting an image of a battle-born storyteller. Someone who witnesses major battles and then heralds great stories of the heroes who save the land (especially himself).

Brother12
2019-03-27, 11:01 AM
I agree with the hill dwarf part.
On a side, you've ranked the lore below glamour in all three categories. I haven't played a bard before, but it looks to me like the lore is quite powerful at support and utility. The glamour seems more powerful in support for many cases. It looks to me that lore has greater utility.

Brother12
2019-03-27, 11:12 AM
Nevermind, I think I misunderstood your ranking. My bad.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-27, 11:13 AM
I agree with the hill dwarf part.
On a side, you've ranked the lore below glamour in all three categories. I haven't played a bard before, but it looks to me like the lore is quite powerful at support and utility. The glamour seems more powerful in support for many cases. It looks to me that lore has greater utility.

Not quite "lower". On the contrary, Lore is one of the strongest playstyles you can get.

Lore does have a lot it can specialize in, and can even become incredibly powerful, but Glamour inherently has non-combat abilities where Lore does not besides some skill bonuses. A Lore bard can still choose to have non-combat abilities (like taking Find Steed as their Magical Secrets spell), but a Glamour Bard doesn't have that option.

Lore Bards can also learn to cast high-effect damage spells as needed, like Fireball. A Glamour Bard doesn't ever have that choice. To me, that reflects that a Lore Bard always deals equal or more damage than a Glamour Bard, which is why it earns those spots on those lists.

As to why a Glamour Bard uses more melee, that's because its Mantle ability grants Temporary Hitpoints and movement that doesn't provoke Opportunity Attacks, and both are abilities that are more valuable to a melee character than a ranged one.

[Edit]Nevermind!

Aquillion
2019-03-27, 11:44 AM
As to why a Glamour Bard uses more melee, that's because its Mantle ability grants Temporary Hitpoints and movement that doesn't provoke Opportunity Attacks, and both are abilities that are more valuable to a melee character than a ranged one.Also because at high levels you really want to be attacked so you can use Unbreakable Majesty. (Arguably it's even better if they pass their save, since that gives them disadvantage on their next save against your spells and bards have so many ways to take something out of a fight on a failed save.)

Samayu
2019-03-28, 09:55 PM
I can't answer your question, but a dwarf bard always makes me think: "let me sing you a song of my ancestors..." which sounds like a dirge.