PDA

View Full Version : Making stuff go boom!

smart thog
2007-09-30, 06:33 PM
New ways to use gunpowder

Feats

all these feats require proficency with firearms

Good shot

You may sunder objects with bullets.

Prerequisites BAB +7

Effect:
You may attempt to sunder objects using firearms at any range

Go Boom!!!!:cool: (yes you should watch this with sunglasses on)

You may throw a flask of alchemists fire in the air and shoot it with a bullet, causing a large explosion

Prerequisites

Mad Alchemist, grenadier, Wis score 8 or below (Think about it, no sane person would do this)

Effect

As a full round action, you may throw a vial of alchemists fire that you made, in the air up to 1d20 feat away, and fire a bullet at it (AC 20) If you hit, a Fireball (caster level equals 1/2) your total ranks in craft alchemy) erupts from the vial at its current position.

Great shot

By injury a enemy's hand, you can cause them to drop their weapon

Prerequisites

Good shot, BAB+10

Effect

You may preform a ranged disarm using your gun at any range. If you successfully disarm they take 1d4 points of damage from a shot in the hand, also they may not use the hand you disarmed for 1d4 rounds +1 per point of damage this attack inflicted.

any thoughts?

JackMage666
2007-09-30, 07:00 PM
Are these for d20 Modern? If so, why is there Achemist's Fire?

And if it's for regular D&D, why are their firearms?

The Fireball thing is a bit broken, if I remember the feats correctly, but the others arn't over really unbalanced. Flavorwise, it's all kinda eh to me, but it's your game.

Kai-Palin
2007-09-30, 07:11 PM
I know that there is a difference between ranks in skills and in total skill modifiers, but essentially being able to cast a 8th or 9th caster level fireball as many times as you have flasks of alchemists fire is a bit much. Maybe tone the damage down or change it to something like this.
Go BOOM!
The feat increases the damage of the alchemist's fire by a number of d6 equal to 1/4 your BAB, and it settles in a 10 ft. radius spread.

smart thog
2007-09-30, 07:17 PM
Its for my character, who invented gunpowder in his campaign setting who uses guns. also in Forgotten Realms gunpowder is used. Also by the time you are using 8th or 9th caster level fireballs, they would be pretty weak compared to what you are fighting, and you need 3 feats before entering and a WIS penalty.

Xenoti
2007-09-30, 07:23 PM
In The DMG they talk about firearms, there's no reason dwarves and gnomes couldnt have them, Since Gnomes love to create things, and dwarves spend alot of time in the ground they could easily make it.

But the Fireball one does need a bit of toning down, maybe just set the caster level of the fireball when the alchemy fire is made?

smart thog
2007-09-30, 07:28 PM
In The DMG they talk about firearms, there's no reason dwarves and gnomes couldnt have them, Since Gnomes love to create things, and dwarves spend alot of time in the ground they could easily make it.

But the Fireball one does need a bit of toning down, maybe just set the caster level of the fireball when the alchemy fire is made?

Oh thats actually a good idea, the caster level of the Fireball is equal to the result of the Craft alchemy check used to create the Alchemists fire divided by 5 and rounded down.

smart thog
2007-10-01, 03:40 PM
Any other ideas on how to make stuff go boom?

smart thog
2007-10-03, 11:33 AM
Here is another feat I came up with

Gunfighter

you know how to use a firearm in close combat or at a range

Prerequistits

none

You may use a firearm as a culb for no penelty. the regulare enhancement bonus on the firearm counts for the meele attack.

DanielLC
2007-10-03, 05:55 PM
Gun powder was invented in the 9th century. The Minié ball, which would be required for the accuracy you're talking about, was invented in the 1840s. That's over a millennium. How could a character who invented gun powder be alive to use such accurate guns? Apparently technology advances quickly in your campaign.

Besides that, why would shooting alchemists flame make it more powerful? What happens if you gain wisdom after taking that feat?

If you shoot at an enemies weapon, even if it doesn't sunder it, wouldn't it disarm them?

Vaynor
2007-10-03, 06:30 PM
I like them, great enhancement for a campaign setting that uses guns.

Also, please use the edit button, triple posting is a no-no (double posting too, at that).

Alex12
2007-10-03, 11:03 PM
I'll let you make up the prereqs, I'm too lazy.

Lucky ricochet.
Once per day you may choose to reroll a missed gunshot. Only useable if there is a solid object of at least hardness 6 in the bullet's path behind the target.
You are unusually lucky at hitting your enemies with a ricocheting bullet

Headshot.
On a successful hit to any enemy with a brain behind it's eyes that actually needs it's brain (humanoids, most animals, some abberations, etc. DM's discretion, but don't be stupid about it.) roll a d100. If between 1 and 50, do damage as normal. If between 51 and 90, target takes an additional +1 damage and is stunned for one round. If between 91 and 99, target takes an additional +2 damage, is stunned for 2 rounds, and takes -1 Int damage. If 100, target dies instantly. These represent a normal body shot, a hit to the head that doesn't penetrate the skull, a hit to the head that does penetrate the skull, and a shot through the eye into the brain.
You are skilled at hitting your enemies in the head.

Percussive shot
Firing generates a 15 foot cone that deals 1d3 sonic in addition to the normal bullet damage.
You load your gun with an unusually loud version of gunpowder

Fragmenting rounds
Once per day, you may choose before firing to have a specific shot be a fragmenting round. Fragmenting rounds, if they hit, deal an additional +1 damage and -1 Con damage. Con damage dealt in this manner does not stack if multiple people use Fragmentation rounds on a specific target. However, it does stack with other Con-reducing effects.
Fragmentation rounds splinter once inside the body, weakening it and causing additional pain.

Sniper: Get a +2 to hit with all gun attacks outside of one range increment.
You are skilled at shooting beyond your weapon's normal range.

Waddaya think? Feel free to modify, adapt and take.

mroozee
2007-10-06, 12:07 AM
BOOM! Headshot
Talk is cheap, but bullets are cheaper.

An Assassin can use a firearm to perform a Death Attack from a distance. A critical hit adds 10 to the Fort Save DC.

Demolition Man
A single, properly placed charge can bring down a bridge or breach a hole in a castle wall.

If a character spends 1 minute per d6 of explosives preparing the charge, the resulting blast does double damage to structures. The charge can be set off manually or timed up to 1 minute per skill DC.

Demolitions Expert
Pre-Requisite: Demolition Man

As Demolition Man but the structural damage is tripled.

Fuse Master
Pre-Requisite: Any two gunpowder feats

Your skill is so precise that you can set your explosives to detonate at any point you designate within the next round. This can be used to time explosions to cover an escape or to arm a construct who then runs into the enemy ranks and explodes before they can respond.

Linked Charges
Pre-Requisites: Demolitions Expert, Fuse Master

The entire length of the Northern Wall fell in a chorus of fire, smoke and thunder.

You can set multiple charges to go off in a timed pattern (including simultaneously). Setting the first charge has a DC of 10 and increases by 2 for each additional charge. (At least) one of the charges must be readied to go off either manually or timed (see Demolition Man).

smart thog
2007-10-10, 01:34 PM
Oh, I have another one

Powerful point blank shot

you can strike a enemy who is extremely close to you with exceptional power.

Prerequisites

point blank shot

when attack a enemy who is within 30ft of you with a firearm, you gain +3 to hit and +3 to damage. this stacks with the bonus provided by point blank shot.

Ilgivan
2007-10-10, 02:13 PM
If you spread flour finely enough in the air and then light it, the whole cloud explodes. This is why lit matches and smoking and the like are banned in flour mills.

Could somebody help me come up with damage and spread stats based on how many pounds of flour are used?

I'm thinking that a pound of flour evenly spread through the air would fill five feet tall of a five foot square, which has a total area of twenty five square feet, making a pound disperse through a volume of one hundred twenty five cubic feet. I'm also thinking that if it were dealt a single point of fire damage or exposed to open flame it would probably do damage roundabouts to 3d6 to everything in the volume, 2d6 to everything five feet out, 1d6 to everything ten feet out, and ignite any other flour clouds fifteen feet out, but I'm not too sure, as it may be a bit much for something so inexpensive, although it may be mitigated by the fact that chances are high that you'll be in the center of this when you set it off.

smart thog
2007-10-20, 03:34 PM
Painful shot

you may shoot a bullet as you hit a opponent with the dagger part of your bayonet.

Prerequisites

weapon focus bayonet

effect

when you hit a opponent with a bayonet as a melee attack for piercing damage, you may deal damage to a opponent as if you shot them with the bayonet, and deal 1 point of con damage.